“Enjoyable stay”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #38 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Stayed for one night at this hotel great location for local night life and shopping, the rooms were well decorated and furnished living up to its four star rating. Breakfast was perhaps the the least positive part of our stay buffet style and although the hot breakfast was well cooked I found the choice of continental style foods very poor not sure if this was just because of the time we went for breakfast and the items had not been re stocked. Also we were seated at a table by the entrance tea was served in chipped cup and there were what appeared to be water splashes and stainig on the wall this was not the most pleasant environment for breakfast. On the plus side I found all the staff in all areas of the hotel to be very friendly and professional.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scotlandtwo
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Thank you for all you feedback, all our comments we receive from our guests are valued. We as a company strive to create a “Grand” experience in an iconic and historic location.

I am disappointed to hear of your feedback regarding our breakfast service and I can assure you this all be discussed with the relevant managers. However I am delighted to hear of our friendly and professional customer service standards as this is also one of our high priorities.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 1 August 2012

Stayed here overnight for my birthday and from the moment we arrived to the moment we left, we couldn't have asked for more. The receptionist was very friendly and welcoming, the hotel entrance and stairwell decor was stunning. A great first impression! The Champagne bar was another impressive part of the hotel and again the staff were very friendly. Our room was huge, beautifully decorated & immaculately clean. The most comfortable bed I have ever slept in!! We were seated in the 'round room' for breakfast as there were no tables left in the restaurant but this did not bother us as it was nice and peaceful being in a smaller area. Breakfast was delicious, a buffet with something for everyone. Although the idea of a buffet breakfast would put some people off, everything seemed very fresh and the chef came out to replenish the cooked items. Check-out time was 12pm, brilliant as it gave plenty of time to relax after filling up at breakfast!

Overall, the perfect place to stay for a perfect birthday!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank elainecsm86

It is an honour to know that you choose the Grand Central Hotel as your place of stay on your special birthday and it is a delight to hear of all your positive feedback. I can assure you that I have passed on your comments to the rest of the team.

Our Hotel as a whole prides itself on exceptional service in a beautiful restored historical surrounding, with the aim of creating a relaxing memorable experience.

Thank you for providing your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 1 August 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times now both with my husband in a standard room and as a family with my 2 children (3,8).

We all love this hotel from the location to the restaurant, where the children were made to feel most welcome.

The room were very good for both when I was a couple and one of the best size family rooms as there was plenty of room for kids to Play while adults got ready which rarely happens!

Only negatives are car park is a bit far away but you get a discount so makes up and would maybe like somewhere to go with kids as champagne bar is amazing but not really for my kids??

Have and will return many times x

• Stayed: April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a top rated review for the Grand Central Hotel. It is always a pleasure to have our loyal guests share their “Grand” experiences with rest of the world.

A very warm welcome awaits you and your family on your next return.

Reviewed 31 July 2012

I stayed here for two nights with work at the end of July 2012 - the hotel is above Grand Central station, right in the middle of the city so the location is excellent and the building is very impressive. The staff were efficient and welcoming, the beds were comfy, the room was a decent size (though from my colleagues I understand that this is variable), it was clean and the breakfast was generous and yummy. I had an iron and ironing board in my room. There was free wifi, but it was very slow (to slow to reliably check emails); I didn't pay to upgrade. There are no fitness facilities, which is a shame in a hotel of this size. The double glazing also doesn't block out the road noise and if you like to sleep in a very dark room you won't appreciate the blinds. But given the price we paid (£85 for a double with a group discount), the location and the service I would definitely stay there again.

Good for those on business, or anyone who wants to explore the city from a comfortable, central location.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Stayed here for one night on Saturday 28th July. Myself and my sister were shopping for my Wedding Dress, and chose this hotel as it is based right next to Glasgow Central Station (we were travelling by train). We arrived at 9.15am and had no problems leaving our bags with the concierge (ticket issued to reclaim your bags). The hotel, as well as being in a fantastic location, 5mins walk to the Style Mile of Buchanan Street, is clean airy and the Staff are very welcoming and professional without being stuffy. The room (321) was on the 3rd floor and faced onto the Taxi Rank, it was a bit noisy outside at 3am, but I'm a light sleeper, so no real issues. The twin room was clean, very spacious, with plenty of hangers in the wardrobe. The bathroom was immaculate, with lovely toiletries and a massive waterfall showerhead above the bath. Breakfast was very good with the usual hot plate of sausages, bacon, eggs etc. You can also order, Kippers, Omelete's etc. Or cold cuts and cheeses. The best bit is Breakfast is served until 11am on a weekend and you don't need to check out till 12pm! All in all a very enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Station rather than facing the street if your a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maria D
Reviewed 29 July 2012

This is an outstanding hotel located next to the main train station in Glascow.
The hotel was recently renovated and is well organized..It is clean and the rooms
and beds are very comfortable.
I highly recommend this hotel for those seeking a central location and easy rail
travel with the main station just next door..

The room rate was reasonable..

Room Tip: Seek rooms close to the elevators or front at the corridors are extremely long.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Traveling for business in Glasgow I always try to get a room in this hotel. Beautifully restored historic hotel in the rail station. The rooms are recently renovated and exceptionally comfortable. They are spacious and well furnished. The showers are great, plenty of hot water, beds are comfortable, towels are large and soft, and if you've forgotten anything, or need something, just ask reception.

The Grand Central is a very good value for the price. Check their website for specials, discounts, etc. I typically find better rates than my company's travel agency obtains.
Obviously convenient to the Glasgow Central train station, close to shopping areas, restaurants, points of interests, etc. About a 15 minute taxi ride from the airport.

Staff is excellent - friendly, professional, helpful and hospitable. The food is good, in the restaurant or room service. Breakfast is very good.

Internet service if free, BUT - you only get 30 minutes at at time before you have to log back into the wifi service, and the service is a little slow. If you want continuous, faster speed connections, it costs.

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms above Gordon Street - it can get a little noisey on that side at time.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

I am delighted to hear that the Grand Central is your preferred hotel when in Glasgow for business. We are very lucky to be in the prefect location with all of the city’s shops, culture and attractions at our door step.

Thank you for your appreciation on our £20 million refurbishment, which has allowed this historical building to show its full potential once again.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and I look forward to your next visit.