“Do not go here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #42 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Do not go here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

This place may have been tarted up recently but believe me it is all window dressing, the food and service is third rate and the hotel staff have got to be the rudest people you could ever wish to meet. Step outside the main door straight onto the main street and you are immediatley overcome with the stench of urine and drunks falling about everywhere you look. As many others have commented, the management staff appear to be unwilling or unable to control their staff (most of whom don't speak English). I could go on,but it's all been said before and complaining to their so called senior management is a complete and utter waste of time so don't bother.
Plenty of other hotels in Glasgow which is a great city. Just avoid this dump.

Room Tip: Not an option here
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank jiggered

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (891)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

I booked a single room with bath, was shown to a room with shower only, the concierge was super helpful and went down to reception and changed the room. The one I got however (240) overlooked the perspex ceiling of the train station, was incredibly hot and suffered from the air con system (I presume for the station) being below the window. It did go off at about midnight to 7am but I was trying to get an early night!! If I had been staying more than one night I would have asked for a different room or left. Yes you expect noise in a city but this was ridiculous. I could also hear what sounded like a service elevator door slamming on many occasions and the conversations of other guests in the hallway were clearly audible. Not the best nights rest.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Linda844
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2012
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. All guest feedback is much appreciated and of high importance.

I am disappointed to hear that you were disturbed by noise on your recent stay; however I do hope this did not impact on your stay with us. Our reservations team are aware of quieter rooms throughout the hotel, should you wish to mention this on any future bookings, they would be more than happy to oblige to the best of their availability.

We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

This hotel deserved all the trophies gained starting with 2011. Very nice and helpful team. Comfortable room, great breakfast and perfect location in the hart of city. Very good offer for parking on NCP Oswald Street (go up to the 5th floor which has directly access to the train station and hotel has an entrance from the train station).

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Thank you for your wonderful feedback. We have a highly skilled and knowledgeable team here, who were very proud to accept the award for Hotel Team of the Year 2012. However, it is the day to day feedback from our guests that motivates us to ensure that we excel in customer service.

A very warm welcomes awaits your next visit.

Fareham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

This hotel is situated adjacent to the main railway station of Glasgow; it has an entrance directly from the station making it ideal for travellers. Also a multi-storey car park within the station can be used at a reduced rate. My room was large and very modern, with black and white vintage prints on the walls. The bed was superb and very comfortable, combine this with flat screen TV, tea/coffee making facilities and a nice big bathroom it was very good.
Perhaps the downside for me was the view from my window - the glass roof of the railway station! Obviously the position of this vast window meant cleaning was not easy, so the window was grubby. I could find no evidence of air con either, so with a restrictor on the window it could only be opened 4". I was working so ordered room service - great service, my fish and chips though was not the best, but pleasant. Breakfast was huge and exceedingly tasty.

Location; it is in the heart of Glasgow, a short walk brings you to all the best shops, bars, and excitement of this vibrant city. Buses and trains are right outside the airport about 20 minutes drive away.

If you don’t fancy hotel food; M&S, The Co-operative and some local shops are all within a two minute walk.
From what I could see the hotel has a cross section of guests, I heard Americans, Germans, Australians and a mix of UK dialects.
I also used the business centre with good WiFi and printers etc. all available.
WiFi is free for 30 minutes, but you can re-log on for consecutive 30 minute sessions.
WiFi reception in my room was not good.

I would certainly return with my wife for a weekend break

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. All our guest feedback is greatly appreciated.

We strive to create a “Grand” experience and make all our guests feel at home. Our spacious hallways are filled with history to explore and Champagne Central is the perfect place to relax and enjoy a glass of bubbly.
Grand Central is very lucky to have all the shops, restaurants and culture that Glasgow has to offer right on our doorstep. Our reception and concierge team are very knowledgeable about the city and are more than happy to help with any questions.

We look forward to welcoming you both in the near future.

carlisle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

Stopped here due to station being on the doorstep as we were on a family trip to the olympic football. Fast checking in and polite staff. The rooms were large and spacious and the same for the bathroom. Yes it was noisy if you had the windows open but it is in the city centre and off a train station so people booking should expect this. Cleanliness was good in the bedroom but in the bathroom the bath had many 'body hairs' in it which is quite disgusting really as it should be one of the main area for concern when cleaning a hotel room. Other than that lovely hotel and a great staym

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Grand Central Hotel. With some of our rooms overlooking Central Station and having the diversity of various shapes and sizes; this historic building has much to offer.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Limavady, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

My wife and I spent last weekend at the Grand Central as part of a trip to the Edinburgh Tattoo for my 60th birthday - the hotel proved to be a great choice. It is very central to everywhere you wish to get to in the city. Shopping, buses, either rail station, the airport shuttle, the subway, restaurants - all are within very easy walking distance of the hotel's front or side door. The breakfast was superb, all you could wish for, the cooked food was fresh and tasty and the service was very good. The bedroom itself was not overly large whilst the bathroom was huge and although there was a large window in both areas, the actual bedroom suffered a great deal from its dark colour scheme. A brighter choice would have given the room a much better appearance. However, our overall experience was satisfactory. We are folk who like to sit in the lobby at times over a weekend away but I'm afraid this one didn't appeal to us! It's rather small and quite coolish with external doors at either side - so we gave it a miss. The Grand Central has a lot going for it - its location being a big plus. However, whilst it may have been "Grand" in times past, despite its £20 million make-over, it is not as plush as some other hotels in Glasgow that we have stayed-in. But that is not to criticise it in any way - we had a comfortable and enjoyable weekend and would recommend the property

Room Tip: Rooms on the railway station side appear to be generally quieter
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank xrfcjohn
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
I am delighted to hear that you had a great birthday weekend, celebrating the buzzing festive atmosphere that Glasgow and Edinburgh have to offer this month.

We are very lucky to sit in the perfect location to offer all our guests the main attractions, shops and culture sites of Glasgow on our doorstep.

We pride ourselves in sourcing local produce and being a part of the Scotch Beef Club. We believe this enhancing our guests dining experiences with good traditional homemade food. I will be more than happy to pass on your comments to our restaurant team.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us and I look forward to your next return in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

Comfortable hotel with friendly and helpful staff but free Internet access at 256kbs for 30 minutes daily was a joke and had to buy 24 hours of access for £10. A hotel of this standard should provide access as part of the general service free of charge

Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Michael M
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. All guest feedback is much appreciated and I your points regarding our wi-fi has been taken on board.

We look forward to your next visit.