“Lovely rooms but too noisy to recommend”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #39 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Great location in central Glasgow, connected to Central Train Station.

That was the problem - my room was overlooking the station and the noise of the tanoy announcements was non-stop.

On the positive side, the rooms are spacious and recently renovated, the bed is very comfortable and there are plenty of amenities near the hotel.

If you can get a room over-looking the street perhaps that would make it a worth-while stay.

Room Tip: Request a room NOT overlooking the station.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent visit to The Grand Central Hotel in Glasgow.

It was disappointing to read that your visit was disrupted by external noise.

If any guest is dissatisfied with their room allocation, the Front of House Team are always more than happy to offer an alternative room choice.

We do hope to welcome you back soon. Please call our reservations team directly on 0141 240 3733 for the best available rate.

Laurie Nicol

Write a ReviewReviews (4,077)

Reviewed 18 April 2013

I was attending my Universities Law Ball on the 30th of March! It's not often my partner and I get a night out so we decided to book this hotel as I got a fantastic deal on the room price. Despite the negative review I was pleasantly surprised that this hotel is quite a spectacle.

The door man was very charming and made you feel so welcoming, offering to take our bags and jackets. Check in was easy and the receptionist gave very helpful and professional.

The room spacious, clean, bed very comfy and massive. View not so pleasant, but this didn't bother us as we were only there for a night and would hardly be in the room. Bathroom was stunning and spotless which is the most important thing.

The ball room was gorgeous and well dressed. Basic banqueting menu of soup, chicken and chocolate cake but yummy none the less. Only thing to complain about is the price of the drinks - but that's to be expected in a 4* hotel!

Would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Grand Central Hotel.

The team were very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

If you are planning a future visit, please call our reservations team directly on 0141 240 3733 for the best available rate.

Kindest Regard

Reviewed 17 April 2013

I've stayed at this hotel many times now as it is perfectly located in Glasgow city centre. The last couple of times I've been there, I've had a bad night's sleep because the rooms have been so hot and noisy. I appreciate that many people use this hotel for business, but as a customer who was looking forward to a lie-in, I was not at all pleased to be woken up at 7.30 by noisy housekeepers.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 885JoannaS
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2013

Thank you for your recent review of The Grand Central Hotel.

It was disappointing to note that your recent stays have not met your expectations.
We do appreciate you informing us of the challenges you have experienced and will endeavor to improve the service we provide, based on your feedback.

If you are planning a future stay, please call us directly on 0141 240 3733 for our best rate.

Reviewed 17 April 2013

Lovely quiet room, wonderful venue and champagne bar.Rooms were to warm though.Champagne Bar is fantastic.Bang in the middle of the city centre.Would happily stay again.the massive chandelier is impressive going down the main staircase.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2013

Thank you for your recent review of The Grand Central Hotel.

Your kind words have been communicated to all Heads of Departments.
The team greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts, as it is only through channels such as TripAdvisor that we can strive for excellence.

If you are thinking of visiting us again soon, please call us directly on 0141 240 3733 for the best available rate.

Reviewed 17 April 2013

So dissapointed... I was in Glasgow on Business and thought that the hotel actually looks quite nice and is in a good location, but I had an awful nights sleep!!

The radiator was stuck in the on position and the switch was completely broken, therefore it was like a furnice. I had to sleep with the window wide open with seagulls and pigeons from the train station below making a racket. Also, the bed itself was small and uncomfortable, they forgot about my wake-up call and breakfast was a bit of an effort (had to go up and down sets of stairs with all my bags, then wait in a 10 minute queue to get seated).

I must admit however, that I did not complain as I was only staying for 1 night and I couldn't be bothered moving rooms in the middle of the night when I was checking out at 7am.

On a positive note, the shower was really good (which is important to me) and the staff seemed friendly.

1  Thank markreddin

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your recent stay with us.

It was very upsetting to read that you had a disrupted sleep due to external noise.
However it was also disappointing to hear that you did not bring this to the attention of the team.
We are always willing to offer an alternative room if guests are not comfortable.

If you are ever returning to Glasgow, we would relish the opportunity to provide you a better experience.

Please call our reservations team direrectly on 0141 240 3733 for the best available rate.

Reviewed 17 April 2013

I stayed here for one night over the weekend, room was spacious and well kept. Check-in and check-out was very quick and we managed to check in much earlier than we had expected. The only problem was that the room seemed very hot, even when a member of staff helped us switch off the radiators. Great location though and would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent review of The Grand Central Hotel.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we do hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

I stayed at this hotel on business, the Glasgow Airport bus 500 which has free wifi on board takes just 15 mins to reach this hotel at the Bothwell Street at Hope Street stop. I pre purchased the breakfast on the arrival as it was substantially cheaper than paying on the day. I also added on the £6.50 supplement to use the LA Fitness nearby. The hotel is spotless, lavish and the rooms and bathroom in my room was huge and if your travelling by train the station is within the building.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Thank you for sharing your visit to The Grand Central with the world.

We are delighted that you enjoyed the hospitality that we have to offer our guests, and we look forward to repeating the experience all over again on your next visit!

Kind regards,