“GREAT GRAND HOTEL”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #39 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Second stay at the Grand Hotel - this time we did the Hogmanay Grand Ball with family and friends. Absolutely excellent from start to finish. The overall ambience of this hotel is really lovely; breakfasts are superb; staff are so friendly, attentive and helpful; rooms are a great size and very comfortable and the hotels situation within Glasgow is perfect. Will definitely be back and will definitely recommend.
PS. Would have liked a little more Scottish Dancing on Hogmanay - just a small niggle.

Room Tip: Some rooms are smaller but I am not aware of any downsides.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Thank you for your review of your recent Hogmanay experience at the Grand Central Hotel, I was delighted to read that you and your friends enjoyed your time with us.

If you are interested in joining us out with the festive period, please feel free to phone our reservations team on 0141 240 3733 for our best available rates. You may be interested to know that the hotel is currently undergoing further refurbishment with the addition of new bedrooms due to open June 2014.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Central

Laurie Nicol.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,080)

Reviewed 4 January 2014

We came for the new year Hogmany grand ball. It was the best new year ever. The meal was excellent. Our room was superd with great shower. Breakfast delicious and with many choices. The staff on the reception were so very helpful and friendly as was the concierage, we would love to come back this year and would not hesitate to recommend the Grand (by name and nature) to friends.

Pauline and Lawrence Knight

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your review of your "best new year ever" at the Grand Central. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourself so thoroughly.

At the Grand Central we are dedicated to providing sensational service in a spectacular setting and I am so glad to see that we delivered for you.

We look forward to welcoming you and your friends back, and all the best for the new year!

Reviewed 4 January 2014

I booked and stayed in a single room this time. The room was brilliant - spacious, comfortable, well appointed. Bathroom spotless and loads of hot water and lovely toiletries. It was quiet, despite facing one of the busiest streets in Glasgow.
The breakfast was delicious - loved my haggis!
Staff at all levels were polite and helpful.
The hotel itself is stunning outside and in. I've stayed here before and will definitely stay here again.
PS The Champagne Bar is a must!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your fabulous review of your recent stay at the Grand Central. I was delighted to read that you were so well looked after by the team, and that you enjoyed your room, our restaurant and the bar so much,

If you \re booking to stay in the future please feel free to phone our reservations team on 0141 240 3733 for our best available rates.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Overall, I enjoyed my stay. However, there were some gaps in quality.

GOOD
Service and attention by breakfast staff.
Standard of food and choice at table.

Swiftness of response by "Maintenance" (to failure of room TV)

FOR IMPROVEMENT
On the second day of my (five day) visit, I gave a note to Reception, and
was told that the Reception Manager would have it.

It recorded: the welcome and responsiveness of Reception staff; a
faint yet persistent smell of drains, and also dirt on the net curtains,
in my room; the absence of stationery, and the difficulty of using the
"safe box".

I heard nothing at all back on these matters. This lapse of service quality
detracted from my "Grand Central" experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your recent review of the Grand Central Hotel, we rely on feedback from our guests to continually improve upon our service offering and I thank you for taking the time to pass your on.

I was delighted to hear that you were impressed by our breakfast team, but less happy to hear about the challenges you faced. Please be assured that I will be discussing the issues raised with our Heads of Departments.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Fantastic hotel - great location right inside Glasgow Central Station, we stayed there when going to Hydro for a concert and did not need to step foot outside, The staff were excellent and could not have done more for us, they even kept our bags so we could go shopping on the day we checked out, cannot praise this hotel enough.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Grand Central Hotel. I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us.

With our approximation to Central Station and the main shopping and eating areas of Glasgow, the Grand Central Hotel is convenient for any guest. Trains to the SECC and new Hydro run every 15 minutes from Central Station, meaning you're never waiting long to get where you're needed

If you would like to make a return booking please feel free to phone our reservations team on 0141 240 3733 for our best rates..

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

This is the third year at this event. The Grand Central is a great hotel and as its name suggests it perfectly situated for exploiting what Glasgow has to offer. I do feel however that the standard of the hogmanay ball dropped this year. A number of people commented at the lack of canopies at the champagne reception and the overall quality of the food was less than previous years. The fillet steak was tough and the food generally lacked seasoning. This view was generally felt across the group. Along with the high price of drink, the event does not represent good value for money unless everything is top rate. We will probably look elsewhere next year.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your review of your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you appreciated the hotels central location but less happy that you were not fully satisfied with our Hogmanay Ball. At the Grand Central we try and cater to the large number of people who attend our event and I am sorry if the evening was not to your liking, I will be sure to pass your comments on to our team.

Thank you again for your feedback, and I hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the Grand Central in the future.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

We stayed at the Grand Central from the 31st December until 2nd January and attended the hotels family hogmanay party.

This was the first time the hotel had held such an event and I sincerely hope they repeat this as we would definitely book up again.

Our party consisted of myself, my wife and two sons and all had a really good time, and the service was second to none. The evening buffet dinner was excellent and catered for every taste. Bar prices were well pricey, but on par with any other hotel.

The evening was great, from the dj making sure the dancefloor was kept busy to the piper playing at the 'bells'.

This was our first visit to the Grand Central and certainly will not be our last.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Thank you for your review on your recent experience at the Grand Central, I was delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed our Hogmanay Ball, which will be repeated next year!

If you are booking to stay with us again in the future please feel free to phone our Reservations team on 0141 240 3733 for our best available rates.