“Nice”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #42 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
“Nice”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Staff at front desk and throughout hotel very helpful and friendly. Rooms well appointed, I only had breakfast and the choice was good, well cooked. The location is good, very central. Wifi disappointing as you had to log in every 30 minutes.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Thank you for you review on your recent stay at the Grand Central Hotel. It was a pleasure to see you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

If you are booking to stay with us again please feel free to contact us on 0141 240 3733 for our best available rates.

Kindest Regards

Laurie Nicol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (931)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Having stayed at Grand Central previously(bed & breakfast) we were looking forward to returning to sample their Scrumptious Sunday package of 2 x glass of champagne, 2 course meal for 2 and breakfast for £99.Great deal that could fit nicely around the concert we were going to however we should have paid heed to the old adage of sounds too good to be true!!
On arrival at 3.05pm (earliest check- in was 3pm) we were asked if we would like to make a reservation for the restaurant. We requested any time between 5 and 6pm given our plans to head out for the evening. We were informed that the earliest booking would be 8.45pm - we expressed our surprise that the restaurant could be so fully booked in the 5 minutes since check in had opened and particularly given that we requested an early sitting which is typically not a busy time period in most restaurants. We were then advised they would see what they could do and call us in 5-10 minutes once we had settled in to our room. 30 minutes passed and no call. I called reception to enquire, no apology for not following through however a further 4 or 5 calls each advising a different time we could get a table- the earliest being 8pm. It was a catalogue of errors- poor communication and very inexperienced staff. Eventually to save wasting any further time I advised we would take room service in lieu of the meal. Unable to answer this we were told that she would contact the Duty Manager- this took at least 30minutes. Within this time we then received a call from one of the original receptionists offering us a bottle of fizz as an alternative to dinner by way of an apology! No thanks! We were asked 3 times if the Duty Manager could come to our room and although this was not our preference as we were trying to get ready for a night out we eventually relented and the D.M came along with 2 glasses of champagne as a gesture. To be fair the manager was nice enough, we refused the offer of room service as let's face it if your off on a night out this wasn't the deal we had bought into. We were offered £30 off our bill and then had to head out in Glasgow to find an alternative place to eat -4 * equivalent for 2 courses in Glasgow not being from the area was not an easy alternative! No dinner recommendation, no attempt to make a reservation for us just a half-baked apology and a paltry monetary gesture.
We couldn't be bothered wasting any more of our time or energy as we were only there for one evening but found this package to be a complete con! The room was freezing and the pillows awful- by the time morning came (breakfast is really restrictive only operating from 7.30-9.30 on weekdays) we didn't even bother as we just wanted out. 10 minutes of queuing at reception to check out with only 1 receptionist and 3 other people in the queue we opted for express checkout.
From start to finish it was a really poor experience. If looking for a room- only basis you could get much better value ( and maybe even some heating elsewhere). In my experience the ability to execute what should have been a good package was sadly missing! We definitely won't be back and would not recommend! Here's hoping I get my my £30 refund promptly but having endured the hassle of trying to make a dinner reservation I am not hopeful!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donna S
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Thank you for your review of your experience at the Grand Central, we rely on feedback from our guests to continually review and improve upon our service offering, and I thank you for taking the time to pass yours on.

As I understand a member of our Guest Relations team has been in direct contact with you, to investigate and resolve your issues.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights on a business trip. Upon arrival the staff were friendly, however they didn't provide log in for internet or explain how it works. Probably because to use it free in your room you have to re log in every 30 minutes, which as it was soooo slow, meant you barely had time to download your emails. My room was so far away from the reception area and not a single member of staff offered to help me with my bags. In the room, the bathroom had a message from a previous guest, "clean me" written in the dust on the bathroom mirror. I had to climb onto the dressing table to plug the tv in and the key card didn't work so I had to shlap all the way down to reception to get it corrected. The room was a good size, well equipped and the bed very comfortable. Room service definitely over priced.

Room Tip: Ask for a room nearer the lifts as its a large hotel and the walk from the lift to the far end is to...

Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in the Robert Rowand Anderson suite. Room was stunning. Large bedroom, bathroom and separate sitting room. Lovely decor. Soft bathrobes and slippers, toiletries and canapés. The deal included a glass of champagne. This is the 3rd time we've stayed here and it never disappoints. The restaurant is lovely too, food is really nice. Very central location, will stay again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

It was a delight to read that you enjoyed your stay so thoroughly, and I thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I stayed here recently for one night (luckily no more!) on a business trip. Reception staff didn't even crack a smile.. I was upgraded to a deluxe room, and yes it was huge but so 'cold' and 'bare'. Furniture was sparse, the bed was awful, the pillows were terrible. The bathroom was tiny, cramped and not very clean. The room overlooked the street and was noisy at night when the pubs emptied. Breakfast was one of the worst I'd ever had with disgusting scrambled eggs and 'stewed' coffee. Yes you could order lattes etc but at extra cost! And at £150 a night, an expensive disappointment in a hotel. I will not stay here again.

midlands
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I was booked in here overnight and as I have used Principal Hayley Hotels in the past, I assumed it would be fine.

it has been several years since I stayed in Glasgow, and I haven't been in the Grand before.

I was told that I need not leave the station to find the hotel, but when I arrived by train in the late afternoon, I walked the length of the station looking for the entrance. In the end I admitted defeat and asked at the patisserie store fir directions. "I'm sorry, but I can't seem to find the hotel entrance" I said, "you and everyone else" was the response!!

the charming assistant then came out of the store & walked me down the platform & pointed out a door way beside the ticket office, that I had walked past already, the main entrance on the road side is obvious, not so the one in the station!

I checked in, was offered no assistance with bags, no wake up call and no reservation for dinner and was pointed in the direction of the lifts

the doors have key card locks, the key of which you have to stick into the light switch to work the electricity, part of the "green policy" I'm sure. the room was painted battleship grey, and the ceiling was higher than the room was wide, so gave a very odd sense of perspective. the lighting in snot strong enough to work in, and despite it still being light outside, the room seemed dark; the reason for this was 2 fold - the net curtains at the window were filthy and the 'window' in the room was covered with frosted glass, to hide the fact the view was of part of the railway station roof!
however, the bathroom window was clear glass, and gave a wonderful view of the main concourse. this too had a filthy blind hanging at it. I fully understand it's not easy to clean the outside windows of a busy city centre hotel, but in that case seal them shut so the inside stays clean!
The walls in the bathroom were marked, the grouting was discoloured and the sealant turning black in the corners, the only positives were there was plenty hot water, and the bar of soap was a decent size

the ceiling in the bedroom had a huge water stain in it, almost 8 feet long and a lovely shade of cold tea, an obvious leak in the room above, flaking paint on the ceiling and either marks or scuffs on every wall. I have travelled on business for the past 28 years, and stayed in all styles and grades of hotel, but I have never seen a more depressing and dirty room as this.

I was meeting a colleague for dinner, & heading for an early meeting the next morning, so didn't comment in the evening

I went down for breakfast the following morning, but gave it up as a lost cause, as there appeared to be more people than seats, and the place looked to be in chaos; breakfast came via a well know high street coffee shop instead

this hotel was booked for me via an agent, and I normally don't stipulate where I stay, as long as it's central to where I need to be, but I will take steps to book elsewhere when I'm next in Glasgow.

it's a shame as the hotel has the potential to be great, I'm sure some of the bedrooms are as grand as the public areas are, but the one I was sold was far from good, I would have been better in a travel lodge to be honest

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 February 2014

I've just returned from a couple of nights at this hotel. Very Pleasant hotel with helpful local staff, makes a change from the usual branded hotels with rip off prices.

A pleasure to stay here and would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: ask for a quieter room as some have secondary glazing due to the age of building and regulations.
1 Thank Shabbarank
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Grand Central.

It was delight to read that you enjoyed your stay, and I will be sure to pass the details of your experience on to our team.

If you are booking to stay again please feel free to phone us on 0141 240 333 for our best available rates.