“disappointment”

Ranked #42 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Stornoway, United Kingdom
“disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

I will start with the positives.. Excellent spot for shopping and couldn't be handier for the train, the place is spotless and The Concierge an absolute Star, if the rest of the staff were as helpfull as him the management would have reason to be proud. I travelled with a man with mobility problems and he could not use the shower as it was over the bath and he couldn't get in, steps into reception and into the bar caused real problems, but the real disappointment was the food.. it just was not that good the starter was actually terrible ( a chef should do much better) and the main was alright, but the" hand cut chips" looked like left over boiled potatoes that we would fry at home as left overs. Breakfast was alright but nothing great. I found my room horribly noisy and had difficulty shopping and the single bed not particularly comfortable but the bathroom was lovely. Was disappointed.

Room Tip: cant help here
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Thank you for your review regarding your experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

I'm so glad that the location and cleanliness of the hotel impressed you and that our concierge provided excellent service.

Regarding the accessibility challenges you encountered during your stay, the hotel does have several accessible rooms for guests with mobility problems which we allocate if we are alerted to a guest's mobility needs. There is a ramp entrance to the hotel via the train station and a lift to the bar - I'm truly sorry if these were not made clear to you by our team.

I was very disappointed and surprised to read that the standard of food was not what you would have expected from us as we often receive excellent feedback from guests regarding Tempus restaurant. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the kitchen team so that we can ensure that the high standards we set ourselves are consistently met.

As a busy city centre hotel we do sometimes deal with a degree of external noise and do our best to limit the disturbance to our guests, however I do apologise if this noise has affected your stay in a negative way.

I'd like to thank you again for your feedback - we are always striving to improve and guests such as yourself telling us about your experiences allow us to achieve this.

I hope we can welcome you back to the Grand Central in the future and have the opportunity to show you the best of the Grand Central experience.

Kind regards,
Laurie Nicol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (892)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

After hearing about the refurb of over £20 million,I think it's time to have a look at there staff rooms very dusty , ment to have wine and chocs in room when arrived, nothing, phoned reception they said they would get it sorted, went out for a bit of shopping ,came back wine was there but no chocs,phoned once again told it would be sorted, went out for dinner, stopped at reception and asked again, told it would be sorted, again!! Still nothing, checked out told reception I wasn't happy as it was a surprise hotel break for my wife, he said he would get manager to phone me , no call , won't be back , spoiled overnight stay

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Kennybhoy1967
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel. We rely on feedback from guests so that we can continue to improve and develop.

I was disappointed to read that after bringing to our attention that your wine and chocolates were missing that the problem was not immediately resolved. We pride ourselves on the excellent customer service that our staff provide and I am truly sorry that on this occasion we have not met our usual high standards.

I understand that a member of our Guest Relations team has been in touch with you regarding your stay, and I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards
Great Missenden, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Have returned today from CIPD Scotland's conference which was held at the hotel for the second year running. The hotel team could not have done more to ensure the smooth running of the conference and to make everyone have a feel good factor about the conference and the venue.

Room Tip: If you are not used to traffic ask for the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Thank you so much for your review of your recent Conference experience at the Grand Central.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotels conference facilities and we look forward to welcoming you and your colleges back in the future.

To inquire about any function space in the future please feel free to phone the hotel directly on 0141 240 370 for full pricing and availability.

Thanks again.
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights over week end. The staff were very helpful, but hotel was showing it's age. The radiator in the room didn't work (but they provided an electric) and their was a chip in the basin. It was all rather worn at the edges. But it is a gt central location and the buffet breakfast was good. I wld stay again but only if the price was lower.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gideon000
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for your review of your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

I was disappointed to read that you did not fully enjoy your experience with us and that you found the hotel "faded".

You may be interested to know that we are currently undertaking further refurbishment throughout the hotel, with the addition of additional bedrooms and leisure space, and I hope you have the opportunity to come back and see the changes we have made.

Thank you again for your feedback.
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

I've stayed at the Grand Central on three occasions now - once when it had just opened, again in November last year and finally this weekend just past.

First time we stayed, it showed all the signs of a new establishment - staff hadn't really bedded in; there were teething problems with the heating and, probably most importantly, I hadn't learned NOT to get a room overlooking the station concourse and thus was regaled with announcements from daft o'clock in the morning until daft o'clock at night!

This latest stay, though, was nothing short of excellent. A very comfortable, clean, spacious and well appointed room with all the amenities you'd look for (INCLUDING free wi-fi; it's not that easy to find and you only get half an hour at a time before having to re-register, but it IS free!). The only thing I'd have liked was a fridge.

Staff were uniformly excellent. We had a wee issue with our afternoon tea in the Champagne Bar (one of the must-visit places in Glasgow) that was swiftly, courteously and professionally resolved by the manager - top marks. Bar staff, reception staff and concierges were great throughout our stay.

It's definitely worthy of a four-star rating, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Odd-numbered rooms are on the outside of the hotel (ie away from the station concourse). The best b...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your fabulous review of the Grand Central Hotel.

It is always a pleasure to read when our guests are so well looked after, and enjoy their hotel experience so much. I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Grand Central personally.

If you are staying with us again please feel free to contact our reservations team on 0141 240 3733 for our best available rates.

Kind regards
Andrew Bunting
Stewarton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Stay here around four or five times a year and have always without exception enjoyed my stay.
Reception staff have always been very welcoming and normally receive a telephone call to the room 10 to 15 minutes after checking in just to make sure I have settled in , a nice touch.
Staff in the champagne bar are courteous and helpful. I cannot comment about the restaurant
as I never have dinner or breakfast there.All in all I would not consider staying elsewhere while visiting the city centre. Keep up the good work folks.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on floor 4 or 5 reduces any noise from outside especially on a Friday or Saturday
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for your kind review of your past experiences at the Grand Central.

It was a delight to read that our team looks after you so well when you are with us, and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back many times in the future.

kind Regards
Kilwinning, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed at the Grand Central on Friday evening. Our room was beautiful with exquisite decor. The room definitely had a step back in time feeling about it. The chandelier in the stair way is stunning. Hotel staff were friendly and we even received a call to ak if the room was up to standard. We breakfasted in the restaurant. The Scottish breakfast was delicious with plenty of choice. We will definitely return to this hotel.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a double room with king size bed on the third floor with wine and, chocolate dipped s...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Yvonne A
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of your recent stay at the Grand Central Hotel.

It was lovely to read that you enjoyed the decor of the hotel and that the service you received was of a high standard.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Central the next time you are staying in Glasgow.

Kind Regards,