“City Centre Hotel”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #40 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Very old though has had revamp. Long corridors and quite dark in places. Reception staff very good, welcoming and all info to hand. Lot of non-residential activity making bar very busy and noisy. Rooms warm and clean but well used especially upholstery. Bathroom well equipped. Breakfast adequate self service.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Grand Central Hotel.

We rely on feedback from our guests to continually review and improve upon our standards of service, and i thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Great location, however there is upgrading work going on at the station next door (they work through the night). Trying to sleep through the sound of a jack hammer followed by a sledge hammer was near impossible. This was after suffering the wedding band, at the hotel, who wouldn't have been out of place at the o2 without a sound system. The room was ok, small, but was it worth the money I paid, NO. I still dont understand why there is never a plug socket for hair dryer situated near a mirror. The heat in the room was unbearable but we couldn't open the windows, house keeping also found this task difficult. Three bodies later and the windows were opened.......A whole two inches!!!! The food in the restaurant was nice but being asked 'is everything ok' becomes annoying after the second time.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Thank you for your review of your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

I was disappointed to read that you were disturbed by noise during your stay with us. Being a busy station hotel we do occasionally deal with a degree of noise, and I am sorry that it had impacted on your stay.

You may be interested to know that the hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment with the addition of new bedrooms and leisure spaces. During these works we are looking to improve the soundproofing within the hotel, in the hope of further reducing any impact on our guests.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

Perfect from check in to check out!!!! Great location lovely room, shower and breakfast!!! Helpful friendly staff!!!!great great great great great great great great great great great great why does the review have to be 200 characters when less is more for the last time it was great and I'll be back !!!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2014

It was a delight to read your colourful review of your stay at the Grand Central.

I am glad to read that you found our staff and hotel to be "great great great great"!

If you are looking to stay with us again please feel free to phone our reservations team on 0141 240 3733 for our best available rates.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

This was our fourth stay at this hotel and after yesterday its our last
For the first time our room was at the front of the hotel from 1 am to around 5am we could not sleep for the noise coming from the drunken crowd waiting for taxis although when they renovated the hotel double glazing should have been on the list nightmare! If you are offered a room at the front refuse it
My main complaint about my weekend was we went into the bar area and wanted a seat in the lounge but was informed it was fully booked out for afternoon tea so we left the hotel to get a drink and a seat!
When we returned around tea time again we went for a seat in the lounge found an empty table sat down but was then asked to move as this table was reserved I asked for the duty manager and complained and although he was polite his answer was a shrug of the shoulders
I returned to my room to get a seat I was angry and phoned down to reception spoke to a lady in customer relations more or less the same response from her I also pointed out to her that we could smell that someone had been smoking in our room but that just went right over her head
Anyway at the end of the day there are many better hotels in glasgow this hotel has no guest facilities ie residents lounge for guests to get a seat! Pool spa shop
These things are common in most large hotels
This hotel has nice rooms with a great breakfast but that is all that it has no more than a bed and breakfast

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank johnimriesigns

Thank you for your review of the Grand Central Hotel.

I was disappointed to read that you were not fully satisfied during your time with us. As a city centre station hotel we are often very busy during the weekends and I am sorry f this impacted on your stay.

During ongoing refurbishment we are looking into further expansion of our Champagne Bar to create additional space for the enjoyment of all of our guests, both internal and external.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stayed here for one night and was immediately struck how helpful the staff were - not pushy or over familiar - just welcoming. Unsurprisingly, the hotel is in a great central location, with shops and nightlife all within an easy walk. The room was spacious, quiet, clean and a comfortable bed. As for the food - haggis for breakfast - that always gets my vote...

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Eddy2Names

Thank you for your fabulous review of your experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

It was a delight to read that you found our rooms "spacious, quiet, clean and comfortable" and that our central location gave you the opportunity to enjoy your visit to Glasgow so thoroughly.

If you are in Glasgow again please feel free to phone our reservations team on 0141 240 3733 for our best available rates.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

We have stayed at many large hotels all over Europe but this one was without doubt the best for service. The staff are fantastic, so helpful and happy, nothing is too much trouble. Don't worry about the noise from the railway station either our huge room overlooked the concourse and the sound could hardly be heard and its so interesting. Its like watching a moving Lowry picture! Breakfast was tasty with a wide selection of hot and cold items. Being able to leave your luggage with the Concierge is so helpful. Our only regret is that we did not dine in the restaurant but that was only because Glasgow has so many temptations. We are already planning our return visit. Well done to everyone working at the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your fabulous review of your experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

It was lovely to read that you were shown such fabulous hospitality by our staff during your stay, and that you are already planning a return trip!

If you would like to stay with us again please feel free to contact our reservations team on 0141 240 3733, who will be more than happy to assist with arranging your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

I stayed in this hotel for three consecutive nights. Staff were friendly and efficient. My room was of very good size and well appointed and when I reported a small problem it was rectified promptly.

I only took breakfast in the hotel and this was a very comprehensive buffet style operation which I much enjoyed.

I would not hesitate to stay in this hotel again

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your glorious review of your time at the Grand Central Hotel.

It was a delight to read that you were so impressed y our friendly and efficient staff, and I am so happy to read that you were so well looked after.

If you are booking to stay with us again please feel free to phone our reservations team on 0141 240 3733 for our best available rates.

Kind regards