“Mid week stay in April”

Ranked #40 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Inverness
“Mid week stay in April”
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We were made extremely welcome at reception when booking in, including being offered to open an account for any extras.
The room was large and spacious, and very nicely decorated. Only 30 minutes wifi though and connection with a iPad was very difficult.
We ate out as the hotel Tempus restraint menu looked limited. Breakfast the following morning had all the usual expected items and the breakfast staff very attentive. On checking out the concierge made a real attempt to validate my parking token at a nearby NCP car park and even offered to telephone the car park to ensure there was no problem.
However the bar staff were not good. The Champagne Bar offers a comprehensive cocktail menu. We went there for a couple of predinner cocktails. I ordered a "standard" martini - which turned out to be off menu. The bar man asked if I wanted it wet or dry as that's all they do. We'll a dry martini has no vermouth left in it, so not standard, so why ask. Then he asked if it was vodka or gin. We'll a standard martini is a simple vermouth & gin mix. So why ask? We ordered the first drinks against our rooms and then the second round also. The barman simply said okay and provided the drinks. We left for dinner and returned late for a night cap. When ordering the drinks on returning, we were accused of leaving the bar without settling our bill. Embarrassing in front of other customers! The barman who was actually on duty earlier, denied they had any knowledge of our room details. When they presented a list of drinks to sign for, it turned out to be wrong and had extra drinks on it we had never ordered.
The hotel is good, but the bar staff have a very lot to learn in customer care. After all their jobs are dependant on returning customers. I WONT be returning to the hotel bar after the treatment I experienced as a hotel guest.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank C M
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you for your review of your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

It was a pleasure to read to that you enjoyed our rooms, and found them to be spacious. I was disappointed however, to read that you were less impressed by our service in the bar.

As a busy city centre hotel, with the most popular champagne bar in Glasgow, we do occasionally deal with a large volume of guests in bar areas. I am sorry that this impacted your stay in a negative way, and I can assure you that we are looking into increasing available space in the Champagne Bar, as we have already done with the addition of Champagne Corner.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future, and thank you again for taking the time to pass on your comments.

Laurie Nicol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (932)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I was recommended by a friend to stay in what she called a quirky boutique style hotel. I wasn't disappointed. After a stressful day of travel the welcome that I received was warm and genuine. The young lady at reception ensured that I was made to feel at home. I had a room on to the street side and apart from the odd loud noise from partying, it was a haven. The room was very large by modern standards and the double king bed was comfortable and warm. Room service was efficient, even with an apology for not being able to supply almond milk (needed due to alergies) but if I let them know a bit in advance that they could get it.

The Champagne Bar has an old world charm and the staff were attentive without being intrusive.

No complaints with this hotel... except for some housekeeping services... They made up my room as expected, but didn't replenish the water, and the bed looked like it had just been patted down... didn't have the kind of finish that I would expect from the level of service elsewhere in this fantastic hotel. Also, check out at 12 noon seems to mean housekeeping banging on doors at 9am. But the Grand Central are not alone in that unwelcome foible. Quite a few hotels have housekeeping staff that could do with some customer service training.

I look forward to a return visity.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank NTJKelly
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thank you for your fabulous review of your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

It was a pleasure to read that you found our rooms to be "very large and modern" and I was happy to hear that our Champagne Bar staff looked after you so well.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again, and if you are looking to book please feel free to contact our reservations team directly on 0141 240 3733.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The Grand Central Hotel in Glasgow recently underwent a multi-million pound upgrade but sadly, the 'grand' is missing from the finished concept. The Hotel took its place in history as the venue to which the world’s first long-distance television pictures were transmitted on 24 May 1927 by John Logie Baird and as such, deserves better. Fairly well appointed rooms are to be found and the Champagne Bar has a sensational marble floor which was brought back to life when the sticky old carpet was removed but oh dear...an extravagant and no doubt very expensive but ghastly multi-faceted and multi-coloured 'chandelier' hangs all the way down the main stairwell and apparently hasn't been dusted since it was installed. Lighting is dim and the main reception room and ballroom is the worst decorated space I have seen in a long time. I will not be returning.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you taking the time to pass on your comments about the Grand Central Hotel.

As you mentioned in your review the hotel has indeed undergone a multi-million pound refurbishment, with more works taking place at the moment, adding further bedrooms and leisure space to the hotel.

We often receive wonderful feedback in regards to the balance of old fashioned grandeur and modern comfort within the hotel, ad having said this it comes as somewhat of a surprise to hear your feedback regarding our chandelier and ballroom. I am truly sorry that you did not appreciate the hotels style, and hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Newcastle
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Good central location and a lovely looking hotel, very nice room and great food, only downside was the street noise made it hard to get off to sleep, the bed was comfortable which helped. The thing that shines for this hotel is the staff, every staff member I came across was polite and helpful and a special mention has to go to the day time duty manager in the champagne lounge, who dealt with a situation in the perfect manner and everyone involved was left happy.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

It was wonderful to read that you found our staff to be so polite and helpful during your time with us. At the Grand Central we are dedicated to providing all of our guests with spectacular service in a sensational setting, and I am glad to hear that we delivered for you.

If you are looking to stay with us again please feel free to contact us on 0141 240 3733 for our best available rates.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Straight off the train in to the hotel, friendly welcome and check-in quick and efficient. Ask for a room near the lifts as this hotel seems to go on forever and you may need hiking boots to get to your room. The room was clean and comfortable and the secondary glazing cut out the street noise. I was there on a training course and although the lighting and heating in the training room weren't great it was adequate but the business centre is superb, a great selction of drinks and sweet treats, nice refreshing change. The breakfast was great, a good selection and the food in the restaurant on the evening was lovely, very good value and wonderful attentive but not overbearing service. Would definitely stay if I was on a course again though not sure about leisure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the lifts
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review the Grand Central Hotel.

It was a delight to read that you found our rooms clean and comfortable and that you used the Business Centre during your training.

With 23 flexible meeting spaces, the Grand Central is perfect for any business events from small meetings to dinners for hundreds of guests. If you have any further enquiries please feel free to contact our team on 0141 240 3724.

Aberdour, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Just had a 2 night stay. Fantastic location. Room was spacious and clean. Food was very nice. Delighted with how helpful the staff were, especially Concierge guys. Glasgow at its best! Would definitely go back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of the Grand Central Hotel.

It was a delight that you found our rooms to be so spacious and clean, and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Milton keynes
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I've stayed here before, and I'll stay here again.... It's good

The staff were helpful and efficient in sorting out a room problem beyond their control, the rooms are nice, comfortable and have great bathrooms.. the desk is workable and the powerpoints convenient... Oh, and the beds are very good too.

My only gripe... the coffee they serve at breakfast is undrinkable nutty mud. I've taken to bringing down the sachets of instant from the room and making my own at the tea urn. How can somewhere so good get such a simple thing sooooo bad.

But I will be back next week !

Recommended.

Room Tip: Do not get a room facing onto the station,,, face out (noise reasons)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Laurie N, Front Office Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Thank you so much for your constructive review of your time at the Grand Central Hotel.

It was a delight to read that our staff were so helpful and that you enjoyed the layout and comfort of our bedrooms.

We don't often receive negative feedback with regards to the coffee served during breakfast - though I will be sure to pass on your comments to our breakfast management team. Thanks you again for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.