“Couldnt of asked for more!!”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #41 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Couldnt of asked for more!!”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Me and a group of friends stayed here in 2 family rooms in MAY 2014 for a friends 21st. We arrived at the hotel 4 hours before check in to drop off our bags where we were met by a concierge(Gordon im sure his name was). He was the most lovely man i have ever met, so friendly and helpful, he immediatly made us feel very welcome. When we got back to check in later on, we were so delighted by our rooms. They are beautiful and very clean. Bathroom was spotless. We asked for some champagne flutes and a bucket with ice to be delivered to our room which was brought up by a nice young man for no charge. Would of liked a fridge in the room but everything else was perfect. Location is fantastic, right on Central Station and 5min walk from high street/shops. Would 100% stay here again and reccomend to anyone!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank lcraig90990
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you for your review of your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

It was a delight that you enjoyed your time with us, and that Gordon with our concierge team looked after you and made you feel so welcome! I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Grand Central in the near future.

Should you wish to stay again, please feel free to contact our reservations team on 0141 240 3733.

Laurie Nicol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (904)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here 2 nights. We arrived by train from London and the hotel is part of the central train station. The staff is very nice and very helpful. Rooms are nicely decorated. However, the doors to the hallways have no soundproofing and you constantly here activity in the hallways and doors slamming. Fortunately we had earplugs. The place could also use a thorough cleaning. The shower had mildew. The grand stairway between floors was always dusty. Breakfast though was plentiful and good. And the staff is great!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

We rely on feedback from our guests to constantly review and improve upon our service standards, and I thank you for taking the time to pass yours on.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Grand Central in the future.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stay was generally ok according to my parents though shower was grimy.

However this is a faceless place with no service focus. The writing was on the wall when trying to book - offers on the website were all seemingly unavailable for the required dates even though we were flexible & I kept bouncing through to a booking line which seemed to be in the US.

I wanted to settle the bill on behalf of my parents & before they checked out. After waiting endlessly to get through to someone, I was eventually told I had to "fill in a form". An unnecessary palaver in this day & age for a simple request I think.

At the same time I asked for a bottle of wine & a cake to be sent to the room for my father's birthday. Again simple stuff but not for the receptionist in question. After being not at all helpful he said he would "do his best" & made it sound like the biggest of big deals. Sure enough nothing delivered & by the time I once again managed to get through to the hotel it was too late in the day to be worthwhile.

Just not good enough I'm afraid.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review of the Grand Central Hotel.

I was disappointed to hear that you had issues whilst trying to pay for your parents room. It is never our intention to cause our guests undue frustration, though we are duty bound by PCI compliance that restricts our ability take and process others credit card details.

As I understand a member of our Guest Relations team has been in contact to resolve your issue, and I thank you again for passing on your comments.

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is amazing. It ticked every box & more. It is an integral part of the Central Glasgow Railway Station. The rooms are very nice - our bedroom was a little on the small size but this was totally compensated by a generous sized bathroom. The room was spotlessly clean with very comfortable pillows. The decor is incredible - a step back in time with an huge long chandelier hanging down the stairwell from top floor to bottom. The food is absolutely superb whether at a private function or any of the restaurants/bars & at breakfast & they have a separate champagne bar that overlooks the station fore course. I am a well travelled pensioner & I do not remember ever encountering such friendly staff before. In every part of the hotel however busy they were the staff were polite helpful and incredibly friendly. Full marks for this amazing hotel

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for your review of your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

It was a delight that you enjoyed your time with us, and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Grand Central in the near future.

Thanks again
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Two nights at this wonderful hotel, a truly special stay - thank you. The hotel is full of character and being currently readied for the Commonwealth games. Rooms were immaculate and full of character, hotel is very large take your walking shoes!! I have to say some of the most pleasant staff encountered in a long time special mention for I believe lady's name is Charmin(?) Customer experience manager - you know who you are and the meet and greet lady at breakfast time, both went out of their way to ensure we had a special stay. Took Afternoon Tea on 2nd May - scones to die for! Didn't eat in the hotel in the evening but Breakfasts were very tasty and self serve so no need to have anything you didn't want to. A credit to Glasgow and to Scotland well done!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

It was a delight that you enjoyed your time with us, and that Cherelle looked after you so well! I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Grand Central in the near future.

Scotland, UK
Reviewed 9 May 2014

When in Glasgow on a business trip usually at the Hilton Garden Inn, however stayed here for the first time and was impressed. Nice hotel setting, in the hustle of Glasgow, above the Central Station with great access to all shops. Large rooms, and although not paying seemed reasonable in price. Also good decoration and breakfast and the grand room within the hotel is impressive, and would be a good setting for conferences. What stops this getting a full rating is the fact that I felt on some occasions customer service could have been a little sharper and some areas of the hotel seemed a little cluttered. But overall would recommend.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Location and the hotel online description make this hotel out to be a marvel. I had booked a bedroon for 3 nights with a bath and I was allocated a stale smeling disabled adapted room with walk in shower. Apparamntly no other rooms were free to move to!
No pens in the room to write out the breakfast menu for the morning, coffee and tea were poorly stocked.
I also had no room service menu for food and when I phoned up, one would be delivered straight away along with the pen. 45 minutes later I got changed and went down for these myself.
Poor customer experience here, so much so I cancelled my next two nights and stayed at the Hilton with superior experience and facilities

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

I was disappointed to read that the experience that you had left you dissatisfied, and that you checked out of the hotel after your first night. If a guest has a negative experience we do try and have the issues resolve during their time with us, and I am sorry that we were unable to rectify these during your time with us.