“Beautiful hotel fantastically located!”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #39 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I've stayed at the Grand Central multiple times and it's been a bitter sweet experience for me. I've had problems 4 out of the 6 times I've stayed, but the staff are fantastic, helpful and so willing to go out of their way to help that I've never really minded. The rooms are spacious and comfortable and the decor of the entire building is visually and structurally stunning. The restaurant is fantastic and what a great selection for breakfast. The restaurant staff were so accommodating with my gluten allergy - providing fresh baked produce. The champagne bar is great - pricey, but you get what you pay for! Bar staff are so lovely and friendly. It's a total touch of high class but with Glasgow's friendly welcoming atmosphere.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave your fabulous review of your experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

It was a delight that you enjoyed your time with us, and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

There are newer reviews for Grand Central Hotel

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Their newly finished front door area has no level access, so don't have heavy bags, let alone stick, crutch etc - 2 big steps lie in front of you. No member of staff to help at the busy arrival time. Took 15 mins for luggage to follow me to my room despite me explaining needed to check in and leave for a meeting immediately, obviously can't cope with demand.
At dinner that night entrance for dinning room was via 2 flights of steps up and down from the bar, but they were by-passed the following morning for breakfast, same people same access issues, so much thought not given to these issues.
No air - con and window opened 10cm.
No one met us for the meeting the next day, she eventually crashed into the room over an hour after I'd sought someone to explain venue access, fire procedures etc. We'd started - no thought given how to solve this except she took a large breath and launched into what she thought needed to be said, we just sat there in surprised silence.
Lunch was delivered to the room in a paper bag with some of the items we'd ordered, all items had been bought in, - no effort or preparation by hotel, sandwiches could have been bought from any high street, cost £8.95 per person! I had a bottle of cheap drink, a small packet of awful crisps, salad and 2 nasty tiny doughnuts - yup for £8.95.
At check in confirmed details of the booking, which couldn't be found the next morning.
Have never given such a negative review - it was clean, food good, just don't bother if you have big bags, access issues or want to use for a meeting etc.

Room Tip: Ask for a quite room, I looked out onto glass roof of station, but it was quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank BarbaraK10UK

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments.

We rely on feedback from our guests to continually review and improve upon our service standards, and I thank you for taking the time to pass yours on.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed for 2 nights and really enjoyed the hotel.It was central with cheap parking in the hotel recommended car park.The room was comfortable,modern and clean.The hotel staff were all very nice.Being so close to the railway shops was also very good.I believe the cost was very good value.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I went to a wedding here last month, the room was beautiful and the service was good.
A far grander hotel then you would ever expect from what you can see from the station.
The food was excellent for large scale catering and the bar prices were reasonable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights for business. Never again. There was (unusually) hot weather in Glasgow that week - the Scots don't seem to know about air conditioning. The room was boiling. It was also tiny. It overlooked Hope Street and it seemed that night the entire city was out partying outside the hotel. The windows wouldn't open much but then the noise would come in from the bars then when that finished at 4, the traffic started. I literally didn't sleep a wink. The next night was similar but I went out and bought earplugs.

The bathroom was ok. The products good plus lots of towels but for the price there are no nice touches to the room. Nothing that screams comfort or elegance - the room apparently was only done up in recent years but it seemed a bit battered in places and dingy.

Breakfast wasn't great. You pay an extra £10 for it but it's nothing very special.

The service was fine. The hotel is HUGE so I rarely saw staff but they were nice when I saw them.

I was very disappointed in the hotel. I had one of the worse nights sleeps I've ever had then had to go to work. Not ideal. I know it's central but I've lived in central London for 12 years and i'm used to noise but this was on a different scale.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank CRKSE4
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review of your stay at the Grand Central Hotel.

I was dissapointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. With regards to air conditioning, as a Grade A listed building we are currently no authorised to install a system oweing to the invasive nature of the procedure. As a busy city centre hotel we do sometimes deal with a degree of external noise, and I am sorry that this affected your sleep quality.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Didn't stay here however attended for a large wedding. Tastefully & stylishly decorated, attentive staff & spacious surroundings. Good location however, be warned, drinks are very expensive & staff aren't so keen on returning your change which is rude. Overall had a fabulous time & would recommend.

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank VMMT53

:Laurie Nicol

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We got a Sunday package offer which was such great value I have booked to go again. The champagne bar is lovely as are the cocktails! The all you can eat breakfast buffet just finished of our stay perfectly! Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: June 2014