“Like the room, but....,”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #40 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Room and everything quite nice, but I specifically asked for a quiet room.

At the time of writing this review, I'm straining to hear my TV over the noise of a function they are holding two floors below me! Little point in asking for a quiet room it seems.

One other thing - the curtain doesn't fully cover the window, so expect to be woke early tomorrow!

Stayed: June 2014
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments regarding your stay at the Grand Central Hotel.

I was disappointing to read that you were disturbed by noise whilst staying with us. As a busy city center hotel, we do occasionally deal with a degree of noise, and i am sorry if this impacted upon your stay.

Thank you again for your feedback.
Laurie Nicol

Write a ReviewReviews (4,133)

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I was given a particularly big room on the 4th floor, facing an inner courtyard. It was certainly good value. On the downside the food was not to my liking, so I'd suggest going to one of the many near by venues for food. In addition to this, on arrival they asked to take a swipe of my card, incase I used the mini bar or order room service. There was no mini bar in my room and I ordered nothing, they still charged me £100 without saying and took an age to refund it to me.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review of your time at the Grand Central Hotel.

I am sorry that you did not fully enjoy your time with us, though i appreciate you sending through your feedback.

Kind regards

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed one night using an itison vouchers for bed, breakfast and afternoon tea. Check-in didn't go well as at 3pm our room was not ready. We were offered a complimentary drink in Champagne Central however which was nice. We then had our rose champagne afternoon tea. Despite being booked in we had to ask for the service to begin - sorry for keeping you waiting was the reply. Afternoon tea arrived, I had to ask for plates - sorry again. Tea arrived, no cups however, I had to ask - sorry again! The sandwiches were dry and one had a totally unidentifiable filing. The cakes consisted of a variety of different types of sponges in tiny squares and a big blob of squirted cream in the middle of the plates to fill space. One cake had a hole all the way through so you could see out the other side. Nobody asked how things were. In fact getting anyone's attention was pretty difficult. When we left we could see about five waiters all standing around talking to each other. On the way to our room housekeeping staff passed us talking about guests and how lucky they were to be getting anything at all?!Our 'deluxe' room was quite odd, a tiny double bed, no bath! and a large room off to the side with two chairs and a TV. There was only one towel in the room so I called reception, the lady on the phone acted surprised that we wanted another towel. I woke up with a sore back as the bed make you roll into the middle. Breakfast was nice, service very good. Upon check-out we were not asked how our stay was - I get the feeling this hotel is told all too often! Wont be back unfortunately. This IS a very grand hotel however is let down on a major basis by staff who fail to get the concept behind the hospitality business.

2  Thank katoomba21

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments.

I was surprised to read that you didn't finds our staff to be up to standard, as we often hear so many fabulous comments about their approachability and work ethic. I will be sure to discuss your comments with the relevant departmental managers.

Thanks again

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I have never written a review for anywhere but felt I needed to after our stay at The Grand Central Hotel. I will try and include as much info as possible for any worriers :) My boyfriend and I stayed for one night on the 28th June. We wanted a night out in Glasgow and couldn't have asked for a better hotel location - you are minutes from all the bars and restaurants. We walked everywhere. We got the train for Livingston and I loved the fact that we could walk right into the hotel from the station without having to step outside. Try and get a higher room if you are worried about noise. You'll be surprised at how little noise you hear from the hustle and bustle of the train station.

The overall feel of the hotel was very grand from the moment we stepped through the door. Such a high standard everywhere you looked (I felt quite smug as I'd picked it) We were greeted by friendly staff and check in was quick and easy. We went for the Superior Double room which I would strongly recommend - we paid just over £100 for the room, which although didn't include breakfast was well worth it anyway - just for the luxury. The 5th floor is completely new (If you don't want to wait on the elevator the stairs aren't too bad and you get to admire the huge Chandelier which runs through every floor. The 5th floor has been completely refurbished and the photos online do not do the rooms justice and if I'm quite honest didn't think the blue themed rooms looked as nice as the other rooms BUT my god was I wrong. They are stunning!

The Room:
Double Bed, Sooo comfy, big fluffy pillows. Nicely laid out with a throw and decorative pillows. There is sofa type seating in front of the window and a dining seating area as well with glasses for the bubbly :) there is a fridge in the cupboard (make sure it's on, we had to switch ours on and if your bottle doesn't fit in it just slide the shelves out), full size ironing board and iron, hair dryer in one of the drawers, tea and coffee facilities (also in the cupboard, we didn't see this until 10 minutes before we were due to leave. So remember to check all hidey places when you arrive) Flat screen TV with enough channels, Light switches can all be operated from bedside which was handy. Perfect temperature for a room with no air con. You can open the window slightly too. Black out blinds which were great in the morning. We didn't eat in the hotel but the hotel will give you information on any offers they are doing. £30 odd for a steak meal for 2 with a bottle of wine. Breakfast I seen was £6 per person I think. You will get the menu in your room. Check out the Champagne Bar too. Even just for one wee drink - such a grand grand bar.

Bathroom: Marble bathroom, again Stunning! Not a huge size but you're not in there for dancing so it was fine for us :) big double sized 'perfectly hot' shower with big shower head above but the option of a detachable head too. Big mirror, Fluffy white towels. Everything that you needed for an overnight stay and also finished to a high standard

Staff:
Every staff member wears a smile here. If you are stuck for places to go in Glasgow or need directions Gordon is really helpful and will keep you right. Otherwise ask anyone. Staff are very approachable.

If this hotel had spa/pool facilities I honestly think I'd never have left. Perfect Stay. I will definitely be back and I would highly recommend. Sorry we never took more photos

Room Tip: 5th Floor - Superior Double. :) We stayed in Room 541. Check all cupboards and drawers for hair drye...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave your fabulous review of your experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

It was a delight that you enjoyed your time with us, and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

If you would like to stay again please feel free to contact the reservations team on 0141 240 3733.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

This was our second stay at the Grand Central. It's a beautiful hotel, fabulously presented. The staff, and the levels of service, are outstanding. We ate dinner in the Tempus restaurant, where the food was absolutely gorgeous... breakfast is also served there, and is pretty good.

Unfortunately, we had a list of complaints about our room this stay. Mostly small, niggly, maintenance issues - but all the more annoying because they could have been so easily dealt with.

To be positive, though, we passed all of our complaints on to the duty manager. He listened intently, and actually seemed to take our concerns seriously. I'm pretty convinced that everything we mentioned will be dealt with! Again, outstanding customer service skills. We will definitely stay at GCH again, and would happily recommend it.

Room Tip: Staff say that 'higher floors and rear facing rooms' are quieter when there are functions on...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of your experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

It was a delight to read that your feedback was met with such professionalism and sincerity by our Duty Manager, and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed here for one night in June, room was on the 5th floor. It was absolutely stunning, loved the tv in the mirror as well. Room was very clean and could not fault the staff one bit. Great experience, will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014

Reviewed 27 June 2014

The GCH is very grand and very central and has been undergoing major refurbishment. The receptionist who checked me in proudly announced that I'd been upgraded to a Junior Suite and that I'd be in a room which had just been finished. I'd be its first occupant. It was on the fifth floor (a floor so new that there are no signs to it until you get there). Weaving my way round the corridor it became apparent that what were formerly lots of little rooms had been grouped together to form little suites. There were lots and lots of anonymous doors with no numbers or handles which was a little spooky at first in the relative gloom of the very dark painted wood and the low lighting level. Opening the door to room 510 I was met by a plate glass door leading to the spacious shower room. To the left was the sleeping area - large enough for a bed under the eaves, and with what appeared to be a very very large mirror. The room was the width of the bed plus two bedside tables. The first thing I noticed were the two power sockets at each side of the bed. "Hurrah", I thought, they've had someone sensible in to do the refurb and are now catering for the multi-device owning business traveller. The mirror was weird, with a blue hue, and because it was opposite the window, over the LHS side of the bed, simply threw a silhouette on to the surface. "Wardrobe?" I wondered. To the RHS side of the shower room was a sitting area which contained a rather overpowering unit on top of which sat the TV. There was a small partition and I peeked round the corner expecting to find a clothes hanging area. Nope, it contained an expensive looking leather wing back chair, a small table, an absolutely huge mirror, and a rack for my suitcase. I went back to the bedroom and poked at the mirror in case it was concealing the wardrobe. Nope, not there either. Eventually, on investigation, it turned out that the bit TV unit also had a hanging area. But no hangers. Housekeeping were called and swiftly delivered. Meanwhile, I switched on the TV. "No signal". Hmmmm. I got my laptop out. There wS no "desk", as such, but there was a larger round tavle ad the end of the chaise, Nd also a round tub seat. However, the socket beside the table was proprietary - probably for cleaning staff. Behind the chaise were an assortment of sockets, including four standard plugs. So I trailed my cables across the chaise and plugged in. The more I started to actually use the room, the more I became angry - an awful lot of money had been spent on it but little care had been given to considering the liveability of the place. Here is a summary of the many little things that, with a moment's practical thought, could have been properly designed:

Bedroom: the window was in the eaves, and over the LHS of the bed. The cords controlling the blinds were not against the wall, but in the recess in the middle of the bed, necessitating standing on the bed to adjust blinds. The mirror turned out to be a TV, but being opposite the window could only be viewed by stepping on the bed and closing the blinds.
Shower room: the shower door had an integral towel rail. The door opens inwards which means if you have turned on the overhead shower rosette, on opening the door, the door and your carefully hung towel become soaked. There was also a towel rail over the sink but it was, err, tucked behind one of the two large lampshades either side of the expansive mirror. Had it been centred on the wall it would both have looked better and reduced the risk of breaking the shade.
Seating area: the TV stand-cum-wardrobe was large and dysfunctional. Having had hangers delivered, on hanging a couple of day dresses there I found that both trailed on the floor - it was not tall enough. The desk was nowhere near any usable power sockets, neither, for that matter, were ANY of the mirrors. The other side of the TV stand-cum-wardrobe included a tray with kettle, etc. however, the only place where the kettle could stand AND be plugged in was the modest bedside table. The only lighting was in the alcove area, not in the main room.

I posted on Facebook and Twitter as these many little irritating things emerged and, to his credit, the duty manager picked up the posts, identified me, and got straight on the phone. He came up and I took him through the things I'd identified at that point. I told him that I felt the hotel had been badly let down by whoever had refurbished the room. The finishing a were lovely. The colour scheme calming and appropriate to the building. But it was not a room designed for easy and effective habitation. It was as though there was a shopping list which went:
10(ish) plug sockets (normal)
2 wall to ceiling mirrors
Chaise
Large table
Small table
Standard lamp
Posh leather chair
Unit for clothes, ironing board, minibar fridge and coffee/tea making, oh, and for standing a TV on top.

With a final instruction: distribute randomly.

Someone came and "fixed" the TV. It turned out that it couldn't t sit on top of the unit because that was not where the plug and arial point were situated. So it was put on the round table, and the cables were then threaded behind the chaise on to the wall behind.

Chaps need a razor socket in the bathroom (present here). By the same measure, us lassies would like a plug within decent proximity of a mirror. And many business travellers need a desk with an adjacent plug. And we all want to plug the kettle in and have a cuppa. And we don't want to be stepping over cables, sleeping beside the kettle, or reaching for a soggy towel when we step outside the shower.

On the plus side, the staff were friendly.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Hill_Resident_SE14

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thorough review of your time at the Grand Central Hotel.

We rely on feedback from our guests, especially with regards to our new bedrooms, to ensure that we can improve upon our service standards, and I thank you for taking the time to pass your on.

kind Regards