Grand Central Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Pool
Good 3.5/5
4,274 results
All reviewschampagne bartempus restauranttrain stationchampagne centralgordon streettaxi rankhope streetjunior suitetravelling by trainlovely hotelstreet noiselovely roomstandard rooman overnight stayhaggisstayed for one nightcentre of glasgow
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Firstly I have to say out that we didn't pay for our stay, one of the perks of having a partner who worked on the games! So I'm not sure how much it costs and whether it's good value.

You will not do better location wise. It's right beside the central train station (no noisy trains though), steps from hundreds of cafés & restaurants and is ideal for exploring the city. The shopping in glasgow is amazing and this hotel is slap bang in the middle of all of it.

If you come to the city via the airport it's really easy to get here, the bus stop is around the corner.

The rooms have free wifi for an hour, every three hours. To buy unlimited access is pretty overpriced. It's £7.50 per day. There's an amazing Italian cafe round the corner and they have fee wifi and the best coffee in the city.

We didn't eat here during the day but had a room service sandwich once. It was terrible so I'd avoid that. Thee are plenty of fast food outlets nearby. We did have breakfast. It was average. I'm biased as I think Ireland has the best sausages and bacon on earth. Everything else is tasteless to me. Nevertheless the hotel has a good selection. The baked goods were very dry and tasted stale. The best thing I had was the toast and homemade jam.

The staff are so friendly. We were here for the games and the hotel was extremely busy but the staff were so lovely at all times and really helpful.

The room we had was huge and looked out on the Main Street. It was noisy during the day but quiet at night so it was fine. The shower was amazing and the beds were super comfy.

Apart from the average food I couldn't fault this place. Perfect location and lovely rooms I with great staff.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your fabulous review of your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

It was a delight to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, and i hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

If you would like to book again, feel free to contact the reservations team on 0141 240 3733 for our best available rates.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I just love this type of hotel . So much history and character . And this one had £20 million lavished on it recently !! The end result--amazing , especially the champagne bar and public areas.
Bedrooms are spacious and well decorated and appointed. A great breakfast as well.
Fantastic location right in the centre of Glasgow. This hotel has it all.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I booked a 2 night stay for my friends 40th birthday and have to say I was a little dissapointed. On arrival we were given a double room although I had booked a twin. Told there were no doubles available but we could move the next day. As this wasn't practical as we had plans for the next day we left it as it was. Room was smaller than expected but still nice, bathroom was huge and really nice. We looked on to Central station which was quite noisy and do feel I paid a lot more than what the room was worth. Staff very helpful and pointed us in the direction of the best places to eat and drink. It was a great weekend but hotel was a letdown.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review of your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

We rely on feedback from our valued guests to continually review and improve upon our service standards, and I appreciate you leaving your comments. I will be sure to pass on your experience to the relevant department managers.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Grand Central in the near future.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

The hotel is not new but it has been modernised to a very high standard whilst retaining many of the original features. It has a superb cenral location and easy access to the nearby car park in Oswald Street. The hotel provides a 50% discount on the car park tarrif up to the time of check out. The check in was very friendly and efficient and the front of house staff were very helpful and advised that we park on level 5 of the carpark and access the hotel from platform 15. We had a junior suite on the 5th floor, hugely comfortable and split over two levels. The only odd thing in our suite is that the bathroom had a glass door with the toilet facing the door..I cant work out what made them do that. Other than that the room was very pleasant. A few drinks in Champagne Central was a great way to end the day. The buffet breakfast was excellent. I highly recommend this hotel for a short stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Great location. Nicely renovated. Big rooms. But £500+ for a standard room with no air con (very hot rooms), no breakfast and only 30 mins wifi. Price inflation for the Commonwealth Games just a rip off. Shame, as the rest of the city were great ambassadors.
The one plus side is that all the front of house staff were super friendly. But overall I left feeling massively ripped off.

Stayed: July 2014