“Very helpful and friendly hotel”

Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #39 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 14 August 2014

An excellent choice for anybody travelling from London. Beautifully refurbished - very confortuble beds in a very large room overlooking the station concourse. A very good breakfast -we were given £10.00 tokens for the breakfast instead of the standard rate of £16.00. We checked having a breakfast on the station but it would have worked out a lot more expensive!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the station!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cathy B
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your fabulous review of your recent experience at the Grand Central hotel.

It was an absolute delight to read that you found your stay to be so comfortable, and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

If you are looking to make a booking with us please feel free to contact our reservations team on 0141 240 3733 for our best available rates.

Laurie Nicol

Write a ReviewReviews (4,132)

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed here for one night whilst in Glasgow and found the hotel to be good. The location of the hotel is brilliant if you are planning a train journey! The room itself was perfect, the bed huge and comfortable. One strange thing that really annoyed my wife was the bath, it had no taps, it only had a shower head to fill the bath. She would like to point out that the so called bath is not a bath at all, its a shower with a very large, deep tray!

Another thing that really got under our skin was housekeeping constantly slamming the door next to our room, for the amount of times they were in and out of the room I can only assume it was their utility room, this banging happened from around 8 am right up to 11am when we checked out.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments regarding your stay at the Grand Central Hotel.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed the size and layout of your bedroom, though I was slightly disappointing by your struggle with your bath. Our baths have their water outlet within a fitting attached to the bath itself, and is controlled from the same knob as the shower. I am sorry if this information was not made obvious to you, and I will be sure to pass your comments on to our team.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed here for 7 days to see Commonwealth Games but like all hotels in Glasgow this was vastly overpriced with rooms costing about 3 times the normal rate with breakfast NOT included. The staff on reception were so friendly and helpful every time I needed to see them and they gave us plenty of information. We had a double deluxe room on the 2nd floor and it was huge. It had a plasma TV, bathrobes and slippers, plenty of seating and a most comfortable huge bed. Soon after I arrived a beautiful basket of fruit with a bottle of water arrived. Very nice. The bathroom was so big it could have held 4 people in there all at the same time. Only 1 set of towels was provided and I had to ring reception on 2 days to ask for additional towels. The downside was there was no air conditioning and you couldn't open the windows but when I asked about this they did bring an electric fan which really helped. The Champagne bar was very luxurious and was a great place to unwind after an evening at the Games. It is far cheaper to buy a bottle of wine or Champagne as the per glass price isn't worth it. The service in the bar was very slow and if you was sitting in the lounge area of the bar there would be no waiter to take your order so you had to go to the bar to get it and that was slow too. Breakfast was £10 but only if you ordered it when you checked in. They give you vouchers to hand in each day but if you don't have the vouchers it will cost you £16.50 and that is vastly overpriced. £10 is just acceptable but if they want to charge you £16.50 go to one of the many breakfast outlets just outside the hotel. In fact there is a Deli bar attached to the hotel and you can get a far cheaper breakfast for a few pounds. The breakfast was self service buffet style and they had everything required for a breakfast. If you wanted tea or coffee the waitress brings that but you will have a long wait and may have to ask 3 times before you get it. The location of the hotel has to be the best in Glasgow. The hotel is actually in Glasgow Central Station. The shops are a few minutes away and there is a 398 circular bus that runs every 10 minutes from the hotel at the station entrance and goes to Queen Street Station and to Buchanan Bus station and that is right in the centre of Glasgow with the shops and cafés and restaurants about 1 minute from the bus stop. I would definitely stay there again and with the Commonwealth Games over the nightly rate will be about £200 cheaper. If you want a nice room with plenty of space book a double deluxe room and you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: If you want a good room choose a double deluxe on the 2nd floor. Some of the rooms are a very long w...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve B

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments, from your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

We rely on feedback from our valued guests to continually review and improve upon our service standards, and I thank you for taking the time to pass yours on. I will be sure to discuss your comments with our team.

Thanks again

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We chose this hotel because it is located on Central railway station, and we were travelling by train. Booked a Standard room, and found it comfortably large, and well equipped - tea tray, safe, iron and ironing-board, but no mini-bar. I asked for feather pillows, but was told that these were not available - the man-made ones provided were uncomfortable, which disturbed our sleep.
Our first impression was the difficulty of getting to our room because of the congestion at the lifts: the two provided were incredibly slow, and inadequate for the crowds awaiting them, at 5pm on a Tuesday evening, and even more so for the departing guests in the morning, who were competing with those heading for the breakfast room. The long walk from the lift to our bedroom was dispiriting.
Breakfast was quite chaotic at times: on the first day, we trampled down many stairs to reach the restaurant, then found that there is a lift down from the first floor. Found from the web-site that it was possible to pre-order breakfast for £10, against the standard price of £16.50. Quite a good selection of food, but the practice of having waiting staff patrolling with tea and coffee pots was not all it should have been.
Would stay again, but would ask for a low-numbered room, to avoid the long walk, and would definitely bring our own pillows.

Room Tip: Rooms with lower numbers are nearer the lifts.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks again

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here while passing through Glasgow. Was expecting a top hotel based on the website, however disappointed from moment we arrived

We had requested early checkin and to be fair 12.30 is not that early. The receptionist just dismissed us without even checking. We were told they would call when room would be ready but by 16.00 no one had called and we went back and managed to get a room.

It was clean when we got to the room it was not a deluxe we had booked, this again took a while to sort out after the reception told us it was a deluxe room, it was clearly not, double bed, small Etc. We got a new room which was great, really nice and big (just as per pics on web site).

We had booked a travel cot which had still not arrived when we went to dinner, upon return it was in the room but not made up! Sheet was of a double bed for a baby!!!

So called 'turn down' service not done either.

Overall great rooms, great location. Just very poor service and not what you expect for the money. Other hotels In Glasgow with much better service.

Stayed: August 2014
5  Thank Ben W
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review of your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

I was disappointing to read that you were not fully satisfied with your stay, and that there were aspects of your initial bedroom and our service that did not live up to your standards. It is never our intention for a guest to leave us with a negative impression of the hotel, and i am sorry if this is the case.

I have passed your details on to our Guests Relations team, who will be in direct contact with you.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Not an entirely happy experience - staff were polite but completely ineffective when I reported, shortly after ( the day after!) checking out that I had left some items in my room - in summary after 5 weeks of persistence, speaking to numerous staff all of whom promised to return my call/ text me/ email me I finally spoke to the manager, who did manage to track down one of the items I had left in the room with the lame excuse that the room number recorded by housekeeping wasn't clear . One item returned, but of the others I'd left ( mainly cosmetics - value c£80) no trace, no apology, no acknowledgement of responsibility on the hotel's behalf. So no, alongside having been 'upgraded' to a newly refurbished room the size of a shoe box with no wardrobe, having had a similar experience at breakfast to another reviewer ( poor service and not an especially great breakfast), given the cost of staying here I certainly won't choose to return - plenty of other great hotels in Glasgow with better service and better value for money.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank AllyMack08

Thank for taking the time to pass on your comments regarding your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

i was disappointing to read about the shortcoming in service that you experienced, and the lack of follow up with your lost property. We never like to leave a guest with a negative impression of the hotel, and I am sorry if this is the case. I will ensure that your experience is discussed thoroughly with our mangers, to avoid any repeat in the future.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed with my 8 year old son at the grand central for 2nights. The staff were very friendly on arrival and throughout the duration of our stay. They were very helpful and pleasant to chat to. Rooms were great...my soon said they were "awesome" n the best hotel we've stayed at so far...so you've got his vote!! Food was lovely! The Champagne bar is great for people watching as it looks right over central station!! Only thing is if you drink wine....choose it by the bottle as at £8 a glass its a bit pricey!! I will definitely be choosing this hotel again!!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank weewylie
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your fabulous review of your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

It was a delight to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, and i hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

If you would like to book again, feel free to contact the reservations team on 0141 240 3733 for our best available rates.