“Not for me”

Ranked #42 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
West Linton, United Kingdom
“Not for me”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

I stayed this month -August 2014-after the games were over.

Being a Glaswegian I liked the friendly approach from the staff but the hotel left me cold-long walks down dingy corridors and the rooms were dark -it badly needs brightened up. It is noisy and that cannot be helped by its location.

Not impressed with breakfast -food being warmed under heat lamps by chef -no thank you -and I was down early for breakfast. Also staff going round with coffee and tea in large jugs was just an annoyance

This hotel will appeal to some but I found it not to be restful and more an endurance course than a place to rest -clearly vast sums gone into upgrading but dark throughout and not a cheerful place.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments regarding your stay at the Grand Central Hotel.

I was glad to read that our staff were friendly and welcoming, though less pleased to read that you didn't enjoy our decor. i was also disappointed to read that your breakfast was not up to standard. I will be sure to pass your comments onto to our team for their review.

Thanks again
Laurie Nicol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (891)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

Was at a wedding recently held here, and have never been more disappointed with a venue in my life! The ballroom, where it was held could have been spectacular considering the size and history of it but appallingly it has been decorated very tackily! The "break out area" is also just as bad with no proper seating areas, poor considering it took over an hour to "turn around" the ballroom! Staff are easily the worst in any Glasgow venue, no help, no focus and absolutely no enthusiasm for themselves, the hotel and worryingly the customers! The food I tasted was incredibly bad! I had one mouthful of a "trio of chicken" dish, so bad! The main, supposedly sirloin steak was pathetic, mixed with pork and cheese, it was incredible that it was rock hard on top but sickeningly soggy in the middle and bottom. I ignored desert, it stated it was an apple crumble, but I wouldn't have called it that! For the prices charged, over £5 for a pint, for the lager to be slammed down on a bar, with no head, you'd have been as well just drinking water! Never again will I attend a wedding or event here, I'll happily make my excuses so I don't have to see the disappointment in the bride and grooms faces. Over promise, under deliver and just underwhelm!

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank GlasgowRaconteur
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments regarding your experience at the Grand Central.

I was surprised to hear that you did not enjoy your time at a function held at our hotel. We have had a huge number of positive comments regarding both the meals and service at our recent weddings, so I am somewhat taken aback that I had not been made more aware of the shortcomings you have obviously experienced. I will be sure to discuss your comments with our team and deduce exactly what has happened.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Grand Central in the future.

Laurie NIcol
Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

First time staying in the grand central hotel and will certainly not be the last. Modern hotel with very spacious rooms and very comfortable beds. No noise whatsoever which I was surprised about considering the size of the hotel and the number of rooms. Very friendly and helpful staff. Excellent food. Will recommend to all family and friends. Couldn't find fault.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Ms Prentice,

Thank you so much for taking the time to pass on your comments regarding your stay at the Grand Central. It was a delight to read that you joyed your time with us, and that the staff and hotel were to your liking. I very much hope we have the privilege to welcome you back to the Grand Central Hotel in the near future, as it was a pleasure to have you with us for your short stay. if you are looking to book again, please feel free to contact our reservations team directly on 0141 240 3733.

Cedar Rapids
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

I spent five nights in a "deluxe double" in August. The room was spacious, nice decor, the plumbing all worked fine (often a pet peeve of mine), I liked the towel warmer (which doubles as a sock dryer), the staff was friendly. On Saturday night there was a wedding party (or some kind of party) that played music until about 1:20 AM, and this was quite audible in my room (354).
I had to decrease my rating for this review because of the pricing. I stayed in the same room each night, yet the price increased each night, such that the fifth night cost 109% more than the first night. I am told they have “daily pricing” to meet supply and demand, but more than doubling the price for the same room seems like excessive variance. You might wonder why I didn’t address this at checkout. I had just undergone eye surgery, my eyesight was poor, and I certainly didn’t feel like examining each charge on the paper.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank frank2176
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review of the Grand Central hotel.

I was glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, though rather surprised by your comments with regards to our rates. Like any other hotel worldwide, our rates can fluctuate depending on demand throughout the city. As your stay was during the busy period of the Commonwealth Games, our rates were higher than normal, and I am sorry if this was not made obvious to you.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Stayed overnight when travelling through Glasgow airport. This is lovely hotel refurbished with classic style. Our room was quirky and very comfortable but no view unfortunately. Fabulous location right by the main station so convenient for the city centre and all transport links. 15mins from Glasgow airport. The staff were quietly efficient and went the extra mile without even realising they were doing so.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank c_anne2013
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments, from your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel.

It was a delight to read that you found our staff to be so friendly, and our location to ideal for your needs. We rely on feedback from our valued guests to continually review and improve upon our service standards, and I thank you for taking the time to pass yours on. I will be sure to discuss your comments with our team.

Thanks again
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

After being booked into a B n B out of town we decided it might be better to stay closer to the city centre.

I checked for available hotels and The Grand Central came up.

After reading reviews on here, they are quite mixed, we decided to take the chance & booked 1 night, twin room with breakfast on Hotel Connections at a fraction of the price of other sites.

When we arrived we were impressed right away. We took the early train so were at the hotel at 12.45, with check in being 3pm we thought we just go and have a couple of drinks in the Champagne Room. But Susan, who was our lovely receptionist, told us we could check into our room there & then as it was ready - perfect! She was warm & friendly and chatted to us as we checked in.

We were impressed with the décor of the hotel through out the journey to our room. We got the lift to the 3rd floor and our room was about 1 minutes walk from the lift - so nothing to major. Our room was lovely, big & light with nice features and the bathroom was massive with a huge tub & lovely shower. Only down side to room was that there seemed to be no way to control the temperature and at bed time it was quite hot.

We then went to the Champagne room where we were looked after by Ola who was lovely. She was very attentive & the drinks flowed very quickly - we did not feel we had to wait long for service to our table at all. And the cocktails were delicious - some of the best I have tasted.

Breakfast the next morning was great - it was quite busy but the service or food did not suffer. We were taken to our seats and immediately asked if we would like tea or coffee - breakfast was a buffet style but if you wanted a poached egg or omelette the chef was only too happy to oblige. The scrambled eggs were the best I have tasted in a hotel.

The location of the hotel was ideal - close to both train stations & a multitude of shops & restaurants. This is somewhere I will definitely be staying again.

Room Tip: Wifi only free for short time then had to pay - we were ok as we were not in our rooms long enough t...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Totnes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

We were offered an online upgrade. We didn't get it without complaining. We were told the room was ours from 3pm. It wasn't. The staff are charming , the upgrade was beautiful when we got it. You need to be wary and on top of things.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Pia55_11
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback regarding your stay at the Grand Central Hotel.

I was disappointed to read your comments regarding your difficulty in checking in and your upgrade request. Our housekeeping team to work tremendously hard to ensure our rooms are available as quickly as possible, though on rare occasion they may be a few minutes behind. I am sorry if this affected your stay in such a negative way.

With regards to your upgrade, the terms and conditions clearly state that the upgrade is dependent on availability, which is decided upon arrival. I am happy to hear that you found the room to be beautiful, though less so to hear that you had to "complain" in order to obtain it.

I assure you that if you were to stay with us again, our team would indeed be "on top of things".

Thank you again for your comments.