“Not so Grand”

Ranked #42 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Malaga, Spain
“Not so Grand”
Reviewed 1 December 2010

Despite the money spent on it, this hotel has no soul, nice room, but as of today 1/12/2010 no restaurant, and no one told us this before we booked or when we arrived.
Glasgow has cheaper and better hotels, so go elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 8 December 2010
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor, feed back is very important to us.

It is a disappointment to read from your review that you felt the Hotel was not so grand. Principal-Hayley have invested 20 milliion pounds on refurbishing this grand old building, this generally has not been the consensus of our many guests.

We take your feedback seriously and please be assured our Quality Wins team meet monthly to discuss feedback, to make sure that all comments and suggestions are taken on board, so we can improve the service we offer to our guests here at the Hotel.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Laurie Nicol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (905)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2010

We stayed for weekend break. I rang the day before to request early room access - obviously nobody had taken any notice to our request and we had to wait almost half an hour. We thought we would have some luxury so had booked an Executive Room. Room 454 had a small sitting room - with a TV that didn't work. The bedroom was dismal and the dirty window looked into a 'black hole'. The bedroom TV was none existent.
We complained and were quickly moved to another room (421) that was spacious with a large bathroom. The bed was large and comfy.
At 4am on Saturday morning and even worse on the Sunday the City 'clubbers' returning home after a night on the town woke us up with no chance of getting back to sleep for an hour or so when they departed back home on the trains! Our room was sited immediately over the main entrance to Central Station!! The windows were only single-glazed. Staff told us later that sound improvements were held up for listed building planning consent. All very well but we expected a good nights sleep which was impossible. Something must be done about it - it is totally unsatisfactory - tho possibly alright on those nights when people are not clubbing.
We found the breakfast alright - tho the toaster was only toasting on one side on the day we left. Oh - and one of the two lifts was out of action for most of Saturday.
Glasgow is fantastic for shopping - huge selection within walking distance.
The Amber Regent Chinese Restaurant at 50 West Regent St was very good but pricey and Sartis Italian on Renfield St in an old Banking Hall was good and characterful.
Would we go back to the Central Hotel? Not before things have much improved. I would check the competition first - such as the Radisson Blu.

1 Thank Greyontop
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 1 December 2010

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry that your time with us was not as you had expected, and that your request for an early check-in did not materialise. Can I assure you that this is not our normal high standard that we have in place at the Grand Central Hotel, and for this short coming please accept my apologies.

I am sure that the lifts being out of operation did cause inconvenience, this was rectified later that day. Concierge are always on duty to assist in any way possible and sadly this was very much out with our control.

Due to the nature of our building and the very location in the heart of Glasgow City Centre, noise levels at times can be an issue and unfortunately as the building is listed we are limited as to what alterations can be made. A very positive side to our location is, as you have mentioned in your review, the great range of shops, restaurants and bars all within easy walking distance of the Hotel.

I do hope that you enjoyed your shopping trip whilst in Glasgow, and we would very much like the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Grand Central Hotel in the not so distant future and perhaps on a return visit you may like to take the opportunity of sampling our newly refurbished Tempus Restaurant.

Thank you once again for your feedback which is very important to us to help monitor and maintain the standards within our Hotel.

Yours sincerely
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2010

We expected something special from the “Grand” but apart from the excellent staff, there is nothing about this hotel that would encourage me to return.

We had a disappointingly small room (229) – smaller than any Travel Inn room I have ever been in – overlooking Hope St. You have to expect some noise when staying in any city centre hotel but I was surprised by the penny-pinching secondary glazing which was nothing more than a sheet of badly fitting glass that didn’t sit well in its frame. We asked to change room but were told the hotel was fully occupied (really!).

The reception area is well presented but the rest of the public areas are bland. The long corridors reminded me of the haunted hotel in “The Shining”. Our bedroom was dirty and dusty and much of the woodwork in corridors and stairways needs some TLC.

Our biggest complaint concerned breakfast. We were seated in an annex room (which looks like they plan to open as a coffee shop in the future). This place was unbearably cold and should simply not have been in use: most people complained but the staff were unable to help.

Apart from its proximity to the railway station there is nothing to commend this hotel. I would not recommend this place, the much vaunted Champagne Bar is just an over-lit, over-priced busy cocktail bar full of noisy boozers.

I see the management are claiming the TVs are now fully working. This is not true - the system does not offer teletext and the contol is very slow.

1 Thank Aberbud
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 30 November 2010

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry that your time with us was not as you had expected. Due to the nature of this beautiful listed building our rooms do vary in size but all are upgraded to the same standard and with the same facilities.

I note from your comments that you felt your room did not meet with your expectations, all rooms are inspected daily and can I please assure you that our rooms are clean. It has been brought to our attention that there is some silicone and glue that is harder to remove in a few isolated rooms, we are in the process of removing this. I apologise if your room was affected by this.

The Grand Central Hotel is in the very heart of Glasgow's vibrant city and from time to time Gordon Street can become busy with party goers, unfortunately outwith our control.

Breakfast is now being served in our newly refurbished Tempus Restaurant, and the reviews that we have so far received are the service and quality are excellent.

I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Grand Central Hotel again and have the opportunity to try and restore your faith in this grand Hotel.

Yours sincerely
london
Reviewed 24 November 2010

We booked a king size bed but given two single bed cover with king size sheet
Cupes were chiped requested to changed it but never changed
Bathroom floor were full of dirt have not been clean for months.
Breakfast self service, egges were burnt, there was a 4 sliced household toaster, it took half an hour a waiteress to bring a cup of coffee her excuse was chef was busy
coriders were dirty & dusty,
full of dirty dishes were out sides the rooms for 24 hrs(room service)
We had problem sleeping due to the noise from bars on the main road.
we go regularly to scotland we will not be visiting this hotel again

1 Thank mariamurphy999
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2010

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

Our newly refurbished hotel has had many excellent reviews and I am disappointed to read that you found the service poor. We pride ourselves on customer service and our aim is to give our guests an outstanding experience.

Many hotels have zip and link beds, which are set up as king size beds; I do wish that during your stay it had been mentioned that you were not happy with the set up in your room, as a non zip and link bed would have been offered.

With regard to the bathroom floor in your room, please be assured that this was not dirt as mentioned in your review, but glue or silicone that the contractors failed to remove after the refurbishment. We are in the process of trying very hard to remove these stubborn substances that have remained.

I shall be sitting down with the Food & Beverage team to determine what went wrong with the collection of room service trays during your stay, and ensuring measures are in place to prevent such reoccurrences. Please accept my apologies.

I am very pleased to be able to inform you that breakfast is now being served in our newly refurbished Tempus Restaurant, and the reviews we have received on quality, and service are excellent. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future, and that you will have a more positive impression of the Grand Central Hotel.

Our Quality Wins team meet monthly to discuss guest feedback, to make sure that all comments and suggestions are taken on board so we can improve the service we offer to our guests here at the hotel.

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2010

Overnight weekend shopping trip with friend. Arrived early, 11:30 and visited hotel to ask if they could store our bags whilst we shopped, surprisingly we were given our room there and then. Hotel is almost like stepping back in time, large sweeping staircases, chandeliers and wide corridors leading to the bedrooms. Previous guests have included JFK, Vivien Leigh, Winston Churchill, Frank Sinatra, Roy Rogers and his horse Trigger (its even reported Trigger had his own bedroom!).
Our bedroom was large & renovated to a very high standard. Our room rate included free glass of champagne so we visited the Champagne bar that overlooks Central Station. This was very busy and staff were struggling but honestly this is to be expected on a Friday night, Mojitos aren't the quickest drinks to make....
Had a great nights sleep, beds were very comfy and breakfast was plentiful. The staff we found to be very helpful and friendly, a coffee machine break down resulted in us waiting 20 minutes for a coffee but the young barman couldn't have been more apologetic.
It is apparent there has been considerable investment in this refurbishment and yet they have managed to retain the charm and opulence of this hotel. I agree with several other reports the finishing touches aren't quite there yet but they're not far off & what has been done is commendable. Will definitely be returning, hopefully very soon.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2010
Dear Twinkle26

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted you chose the Grand Central as the hotel for your stay, whilst on a shopping trip with friends in Glasgow. We are in a fantastic location for shops,bars restaurants and of course the train station.

It is so pleasing to read your positive comments on the restoration of the hotel. I must agree Principal Hayley have achieved a unique balance between the traditional and modern features successfully, and there is such a history with this grand old hotel.

Champagne Central with its magnificent crystal chandelier overlooking the main concourse of the station has become a very popular place to be; I am pleased to see, although the bar was busy, you enjoyed the experience.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Grand Central Hotel in the near future, and once again thank you for your valuable feedback.

Ireland
Reviewed 19 November 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights in October and were so disappointed. The room allocated was at the very end of a long corridor overlooking the dirty roof of the station. It was tiny. We asked for another and was told we would have to wait until the afternoon. 8 hours later we were given a much better room in terms of size/location but it had obviously not been checked. TV had not been hooked up and boiling hot water came out of the cold taps in the bathroom! Included in our stay was a champagne voucher which we were not given. We actually had to ask for this! Breakfast was served in a bare looking function room- there was no dedicated breakfast room/restaurant. Also no internet facilities were on offer. The hotel basically was open before it was fit for purpose. However, the tipping point for me was that when I returned home I was emailed the standard Principal Hayley customer satisfaction questionnaire which I completed and emailed back but that was the last I heard. I would have thought that at minimum I would have received some response from management but no. I won't be staying in one of their hotels again!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2010
Dear Blueskies7

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay.

I am sorry that certain aspects of your stay did not meet our usual high standards. Being a property first built in 1883 and grade 1 listed, our room sizes do vary, however all have been renovated to a high standard.

We have resolved our issues with the water control, and all televisions are in full working order;
please accept our apologies for the problems you encountered.

We are very pleased to inform you that our Tempus Restaurant and Bar are now open serving breakfast.

Regarding Internet the hotel is fully enabled with WiFi service. This service is backed up by 24 hour telephone support. My sincere apologies that you were unable to connect to this service during your stay.

It is our intention to respond to all client feedback, as it is through constructive criticism that we are able to monitor and maintain the standards within our hotel.

I would very much like to welcome you back to the Grand Central Hotel in the near future and as a goodwill gesture would offer a complimentary room upgrade, on your next visit.

Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 16 November 2010

I recently stayed at the Grand Central Hotel with my brother while traveling through Scotland with my brother and was really impressed with the size of the rooms. Although the Hotel is old, it didn't show in the rooms, as they (at least what we stayed in) have been renovated to include modern fixture and fittings. The shower was fantastic - given that it was Autumn this was a major plus after having traveled from a warmer climate. Best of all, if you arrive in Glasgow by train, then you don't even have to leave the train station in order to check-in and drop off your luggage as the Hotel is part of the train station. Being so close, you would think that it would be fairly noisy, however during our stay we didn't even here noise from the station or crowds of people that assemble there.

Tip for first time visitors to Glasgow looking at sampling the local cuisine - avoid the Deep Fried Pizza and Mars Bars (both local delicacies apparently) unless you wish to run the risk of heart failure. for a safer bet, seek out the Loch Fyne Oysters instead.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and yes, I must agree that the hotel rooms have been upgraded to a very high standard. The general opinion is that we have managed to achieve the balance between the old and the new successfully.

The Grand Central has a fantastic location within the city centre and withinin reasy reach of the tourist attractions, shops and bars. An added bonus for guests is Glasgow Central Station concourse leads straight to the hotel entrance, I see from your review you also found this to be a great advantage.

I would like to thank you once again for your feedback and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.