“Waste of space and time”
Review of The Lighthouse

Ranked #29 of 301 things to do in Glasgow
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Spanning six floors, The Lighthouse provides an unrivaled opportunity to experience architecture and design through a changing program of world-class exhibitions, award winning education and lifelong learning projects, broad ranging events program and networking opportunities. Climb the Mackintosh Tower for stunning views across the city, indulge yourself in the latest designer products at The Lighthouse Shop, or simply relax in the Doocot, our cafe/bar.
Reviewed 19 May 2014

When we visited Glasgow we were told about The Lighthouse so I contacted them about wheelchair access, parking and opening times. They got one question right, its good for wheelchairs. Why the chap gave consideration about the parking I will never know. There is no parking, for anyone. I was told the museum was open, but not the opening times. We arrived at 10.20 and was then told it was not open for another ten minutes. Groan, wish we were told this when we called.

We whizzed round the CRM exhibition, which was vaguely interesting, but it was of very poor quality. Watch out for the wee raised bits in the floor, caused me no end of grief - but it looked great, some might say.

Despite a sign saying the viewing floor was closed for a private function, we decided to risk it. There was no function. The information cards of the Glasgow skyline are misleading. They are not taken from your vantage point but from behind you somehow. Very confusing.

We came down a floor to look at an exhibition, but it was just a white room. Another floor and the same problem. Are there no artists in Glasgow?

Clearly we came at a bad time, but we might have been told that there was nothing on to see when we called. Would I go back again? Not on your Nelly.

Best bit was how they managed to get all those up only escalators in. Our visit really was totally rubbish.

3  Thank RichardT150
in 30 reviews
"buchanan street"
in 36 reviews

Reviewed 10 May 2014

This is great, really interesting exhibitions on various floors. I am terrified of heights and spent the time in the lift to the 6th floor with my eyes closed and palms sweating. As the doors opened, I expected to step out onto a precipice. After reassurance from my husband, I exited the lift - thank goodness, floor to ceiling glass frames the city view! It is a great view, and if like me you are getting sweaty palms reading about it, you must go, you will be fine - promise!

1  Thank Jayne W
The_Lighthouse_Team, Front Office Manager at The Lighthouse, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Hi Jayne,
Many people find The Viewing Platform more comfortable than The Tower, if they have difficulty with heights or mobility issues. We're glad that you could enjoy The View, during your visit! Sometimes we hold private events in The Viewing Platform, so if you are planning another trip, please phone us to check public accessibility so you can enjoy the view again!

The Lighthouse Team.

Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

My third visit to this fascinating building and as always there was a variety of interesting displays, mainly around art, design & architecture. Some better than others but all free. There's also a great (but small) permanent exhibition on Charles Rennie Mackintosh. Good view from the very top of the building. There's a wonderful shop in the lobby, perfect for gifts - just wish it didn't close before the rest of the building!

We are glad so that you enjoyed your visit to The Lighthouse! I hope you got what you needed from the shop before it closed. It has to close a little earlier than the exhibition room so that the assistant can cash up the till. If you would like to enquire about any shop goods, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Mackintosh Shop: 0141 276 5365
Tojo Design: 0141 248 2824

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Popped into this amazing place whilst on a business trip to Glasgow. The views from the top, reached by lift were amazing. As it was a clear day I was able to get some great photos. Popped into the cafe for a coffee, cool, well laid out and lots of space. The building is very interesting with lots of exhibitions. Of course the Rennie Mackintosh exhibition is definitely worth seeing.

1  Thank Purplehazze

Thanks for your comments! We are known for the great views from The Tower and The Viewing Platform and love to hear that you enjoy it! The Mackintosh exhibition is particularly popular, at the moment, with tourists and locals alike. Hope you come again soon.

Take care,

See more reviews
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I went to the Lighthouse because several locals told me it was worth it. I was not disappointed. It was in an alley so a little hard to find (The NAV on my phone saved me) Interesting things on every floor. I loved the architecture and took several pictures that in my mind were worthy of framing.Don't miss the observation deck on the 6th floor, you can only access it from the lift. There is a little cafe on the 5th floor if you want a snack.Free of charge and very cool,I enjoyed my time spent here.

2  Thank JimmyRG

Thanks for your enthusiastic response Jimmy! We hope to see you back here soon with your camera!