“All too brief overnight stay”

Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #16 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“All too brief overnight stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2011

We stayed here last week while attending an anniversary celebration with friends in one of the hotel's beautiful private function rooms.

We have stayed before and were delighted to find we were in a different room from our earlier stays. Each room bears the name of a wine - ours this time was d'Arenberg which was situated on the top floor looking to the rear of the property. This was ideal as Great Western Road to the front is a busy road.

The rooms are generally beautifully appointed. They have comfortable beds, fantastic bathrooms with separate drench showers and sublime smelling Arran Aromatics toiletries. In fairness the room we had last time had a huge claw-foot bath and was an altogether nicer room but hey that's just my preference. Now I come to think of it, it may have been one of the superior rooms.

The hotel itself now spans the 5 townhouses forming the original terrace.When we first visited it I think they owned only three. In any event you can navigate between all the buildings at ground and first floor level.

We had a bed and breakfast deal this time around and had a choice of continental or cooked served in the delightful Bistro. Staff were an absolute delight throughout our stay. We are heading back in February to celebrate our own anniversary in one of the private rooms and without hesitation are staying overnight. We hope to get assigned yet another room to continue our exploration of this truly delightful hotel.

Room Tip: If like us you like a quiet room ask for one on the top floor facing the rear of the property.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank ledcam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

Me and my wife stayed here for a couple of nights for our wedding and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Although it was expensive the Hotel was beautiful and had a classy style throughout. Everything about it is luxurious and high class. One devonshire gardens has a very unique victorian style to it which in its own way is very romantic.

The bedroom was very comfortable and the bathroom was superb. The monsoon shower was especially good!

The location is also superb, it not in the city centre so there is no noise disruption. It is located in a beautiful quiet area but at the same time less than 10 minutes drive from the city centre. Perfect location

Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vakas
Reading, Berkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2011

Hotel Du Vin at One Devonshire

Not sure how this hotel attains the 4 stars it has, as I was not impressed by it at all.

The reception staff are incompetent, was charged £240 room rate when the rate should have been £170, the difference was refunded after pointing this out to them, they explained they got my check in papers got mixed up with someone else who checked in at the same time, as they were friends of ours we asked them if they were charged our £170 but no they were also charged £240 so probably a fib. Was in the lounge for drinks & snacks, bills were left we put the money for them on the table, never collected the bills, then when I went to the desk to ask where my food bill was to pay it, was asked to pay a higher amount as it seems they re charged me for all the bills I already paid.

The next huge issue with this hotel is NO LIFT. The room we were given was on the top floor, and normally that isn’t an issue as it was only 3 floors, but we are talking a large period building that to go up to the 3rd floor is two lots of stairs per floor, so a lot of stairs. The hotel also has too many entrances, which is so confusing, they say reception is at house no X and then restaurant at house no X but there are no house numbers clearly visible only a lot of unmarked entrances. Once in the hotel, it’s an unsigned maze to find anything. The bar shuts at midnight so to get drinks you have to go to the lounge. The lounge of which is very impersonal, lovely looking lounge but they have a member of staff who seems to sit on a desk in there, overseeing things like a school teacher watching the children in her class. We felt very uncomfortable in there drinking while being watched by this member of staff. Not entirely certain why she felt she had to sit at that desk as the two desks on the reception were both empty. A glass of wine from the bar only comes in 1 size.

Don’t even start me on the food for this place. Du Vin are supposed to be renowned for their Bistro & food, I ordered cheese on toast from the 4 snacks you could get after midnight in this place expecting that at least for the £8 it cost it would be presented nicely, maybe with a few salad leaves and some crisps and look its worth. No! My 6 year old could have made this; it was just 2 slices of toast with cheese on it! No garnish, nothing extra just the privilege of paying £8 for it. The next day I ordered the soup from the bar menu, the soup was nice, the measly amount that was in the plate, it looked so lost in the plate and one would have needed a ladder to get down to it in the plate. Think it was around 4 spoons of soup! On the plus side the bread served with it was very nice, home made I think but nice.

The building itself is decorated rather lavishly, as were the rooms, oh which by the way all have stupid names which is hard to remember what your room is when its one you cannot even pronounce, named after wines, wonder what is wrong with numbers? The hotel has no parking of its own, only a first come first served basis street parking.

I was also disappointed that I left my earrings in the room, and called the hotel after I left to ask them if they got them. I know exactly where I left them on one of the tables in the room infront of the hospitality tray, they said they hadn’t been made aware of them having been found, but would call me and let me know after checking with housekeeping. Still waiting, for the call.

I would never stay at this hotel again, having worked in the hotel & events industry for many years; this by my standards was definitely not value for money. I have seen Premier Inn’s better than this hotel!

The only thing I can compliment this hotel on apart from the home made bread is the two porters who were very helpful with baggage and brushing snow off the windscreens in the morning.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here get one on the ground floor as there is NO lift!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank julesbirdie
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed at One Devonshire Gardens as I was working in Glasgow centre. It also happened to coincide with a birthday & anniversary. On arrival we were met by George, one of the hotel staff. He made us feel relaxed immediately & looked every bit the part with his tartan trousers!

The immediate impact was WOW!! One Devonshire Gardens is, in fact, 1-5 Devonshire Gardens, having knocked all the houses into one. Grant, the duty manager booked us in & went through procedures.

Our room was the other end of the house. As the door opened, my chin hit the floor - it had to be the biggest hotel room we have ever stayed in! Apparently it's one they use for honeymooners etc & is the one I had seen on HDV's website - blue walls & huge drapes covered the big bay windows. In one was a giant bath. The giant shower was another big plus. A complimentary Scotch whiskey (single malt) was also very welcome.

We had a table booked for 8.30pm in the restaurant & went down early for drinks in the bar.
Although we had to wait until 8.45 for our table, the wait was worth it. I can honestly say the food was probably the best meal I have ever had. It was daube of beef - incredible flavour & tender meat. We let the somelier/host choose the wine, which went perfectly with our meal.

The bed was huge - I would have slept very well if it wasn't for the amorous couple in the room above us who seemed to be upmost of the night!!!

We helped oureselves from the continental breakfast - we were too full from the previous night to go for the cooked breakfast - very unusual for me!!

We have stayed in several of the HDV hotels & Winchester was our favourite. I think it might just have been replaced!! Well done again HDV, I would stay nowhere else in Glasgow if I was visiting again. Just do it, you won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: The room we had was at the far end of the house. Ask for the blue room with the blue bath in the win...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank UkRachelle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

I'd stayed at this hotel twelve years ago before it became part of the Hotel Du Vin group. As one of the first boutique style hotels that I had experienced at the time, it became the standard against which I judged others. Revisiting after such long time, I was pleased to see, the same excellent attentive customer service, unique luxury rooms with great details such as the 'toiletries to take away' from Arran Arromatics and fabulous food. If there is one slight criticism it is that the prices on the restaurant menu are eye wateringly high, compared to the room rate I payed. Still , it was exceptionally good.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Cookster59
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2011

Have stayed at this hotel a number of times and it is only a mile from where we live! The rooms are amazing - try a top floor room with a skylight - even if you are in a smaller room the decor, furnishings, stereo etc. are all fantastic. The staff are great and the food is fab too. We liked it so much we got married here :O)

Room Tip: The Robert Mondavi room is the best in the hotel!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rozzystar
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

Party of 4 stayed here on Saturday 10th September, and everyone agreed that One Devonshire Gardens is a splendid place.

We had two suites, one for each couple, and both were nice comfortable sizes with dressing rooms and fantastic bathrooms. The rooms are lovely, however, the rest of the hotel is even better so we spent very little time in the suites.

The restaurant serves some of the best food I have tried in Glasgow (no mean feat given the competitive, high quality restaurants in the city) and was reasonably priced. I think approx £250 for 4 people (3 courses, wine, champagne and coffees).

There is a great selection of Whiskies and Cigars and to top it off a wonderful outside teepee style area - romantically lit and heated. We sat out there for hours enjoying the night with a cigar and dram. Perfect!

Although I do live close by, I will most definitely be back here often.

Room Tip: Go for the best you can afford.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple