“All Class”

Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #16 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 14 February 2012

This hotel is the most amazing hotel I have stayed in, thus far. The entire staff were warm and welcoming, and treated us like royalty. And the rooms were gorgeous. The walls were covered in an incredible red patterned wallpaper (that I've seen copied in a video game) and the bathrooms were all covered in black tile. Everything was spotless and luxurious. Huge bathtub and shower, super comfortable bed. The restaurant was also fantastic. There were four of us and we each had something different. It was all delicious. I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank ChloeVanderhaven

Reviewed 31 January 2012

We have just returned from the most wonderful weekend at Hotel Du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens. From the moment we booked until the final point of the Concierge loading our bags into the taxi to the airport, everything was sheer perfection.
The hotel is a series of traditional town houses which have been joined together to form a seamless transition to a luxury hotel. As you wander through the individual corridors you are greeted by friendly staff whose only aim is to exceed customer satisfaction.
Upon arrival, we were greeted by the Reception manager who guided us to some comfortable arm chairs in the adjacent lounge to complete the normal registration process. No standing at impersonal reception desks, it was all done one to one.
Our porter was assigned to guide us to our room (more later) and we were dutifully shown to our Duplex suites.
Having stayed in some of the best hotels in the United Kingdom and abroad, I can honestly say that these suites take a lot to be surpassed. The upper level comprises of a large bedroom with a seating area duly furnished with beautiful sofas and every convenienience you could ask for including a fantastic BOSE sound system.
The individual coffee machine and well stocked mini bar is replenished twice daily.
A roll top bath adds great atmosphere to the room for those wishing to bathe beside an open fireplace close to their four poster bed!
I however, was even more impressed by the main bathroom on the lower level of the suite with its double waterfall shower and the most generously sized toileteries ever.

I ramble on.

Dinner was superb. Try the Chateau Briand.
Breakfast was Majestic and is served until 11am (although we were still there at 11.40!)

Try the wine tasting experience in the hotels cellar. Marc is a true genius in understanding people and wine. He will go very far.

This is not a hotel for people looking to stay or dine on a tight budget.
But if you wish to impress your loved one or clients or simply yourself, you will not be disappointed.

We are planning to return very soon.

Thanks you to everyone involved and in particular Marc.

Room Tip: Duplex Suite all the way.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Peter190378
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Attended for friends wedding, stayed 4 nights. Customer service from all employees was first class with the exception of one lady on the 3rd days breakfast. As there were many people in the wedding party, we were able to have a sneaky look at most of the rooms. The attic rooms we were provided were of a lower standard, and were newer so were less traditional. The bathrooms were great though (heated floors, nice shower, big bath - though I didnt have time to try it out), even if more modern than the other rooms. The back attic room I was in was big enough for the purpose and was cleaned well. There is no turn down service, but I dont usually like this service, so made a nice change. The coffee machines were easy to use and the coffee was excellent. My main issues were that there were not enough well positioned sockets near the mirror, and despite a number of light options, the room was a little on the dark side. Comfy beds, warm rooms. Concern was that we locked the windows but housekeeping had left them unlocked after cleaning the room, and this was an issue as there was easy access with the scaffolding at the back to repair the damaged roof after previous storms. Be wary on arrival, if offered tea and coffee, this is not complimentary and will be charged to your room - a small niggle that annoyed me on check out, since we were offered a drink on arrival a checkin and these are usually complimentary. Bar staff were excellent and more than willing to assist.

Room Tip: The 3rd floor attic rooms are smaller, and not as traditional or spectacular as the rooms on the 1st...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Paula H
Reviewed 30 January 2012

old building done up to modern standard but retaining it's authenticity

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Derek H
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I used to be a medical student in Glasgow more than 25 years ago. Like many students,I did not have much money. I used to take a bus from the Hyndland bus stop to my Hospital a distance away . ThE bus stop overlooked a dinning room and kitchen in which the most sumptuous meals seemed to be created. Standing outside in the wind and often driving snow, watching the fortunate folk supping ,I promised myself that I would one day eat in the same dining room and live in this lovely hotel. For one eason or the other I did not visit Glasgow for 25 years. When I did, I stayed at Devonshire Gardens. It was all I imagined it to be. Warm, cozy,very hospitable staff. The rooms were huge. Very well appointed, great toiletries....and yes, I did eat in the very same dining room overlooking the same bus stop that I stood at so many years ago. When I visit again - I would not dream of living elsewhere!!

Room Tip: A room along the great western road will be very noisy with the sound of traffic.the is no air-condi...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank BanajiMumbai
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights at the beginning of December - fabulous from start to finish. Decadent rooms, whole place very tasteful - not stuffy at all and the staff were just amazing - helpful and so friendly. Did not want to leave and hope to return sometime.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maudie66
Reviewed 5 January 2012

My partner and I stayed here for a couple of nights at the end of December. This hotel was everything I had hoped it would be, and more.

Check-in was very comfortable and friendly. It reflected what would be the theme for the stay - this place has a welcoming, intimate, personal feel to it, but still providing you with plenty of your "own space" as you like.

The room was outstanding. It was easily as good as, if not better than, some of the famously opulent 5 star establishments in the Far East I have stayed in. A lovely four poster bed, a sofa and two armchairs, tables, high quality TV/sound system, very spacious - the list goes on. It was also good to see the basics present that are so often lacking in hotel rooms - free wi-fi and ample spare power points for example. The bathroom too. Finished in marble, with a large bathtub and separate walk-in shower.

The service throughout the hotel was top notch. A huge selection of good malt whiskies available. We did have dinner at the hotel, but considering how busy the restaurant was both nights, I would imagine the food is very good.

Breakfast I would call only average, certainly for £17 per head (I think). It was perfectly adequate though.

The hotel is quite a way out of the city centre, and it is a little bit of a walk to the nearest public transport. The good side of this though is that it is quiet, and anyway taxis in Glasgow are generally readily available and cheap by UK standards.

Overall very impressed with this hotel. We had arrived from the Balmoral in Edinburgh, and the Hotel du Vin blows that place clean out of the water on every level, and is less expensive. I will definitely try this place first the next time I am back in Glasgow. Genuine 5 star feel.

• Stayed: December 2011