“Magnificent Georgian buildings turned into boutique hotel.”

Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #16 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Had a very pleasant stay here with colleagues during a working away day and overnight.

Although I have stayed here before it is easy to get disorientated, as the hotel consists of five townhouses knocked together.

We are in the restaurant at night and the quality of the food and wine could not be faulted.

The staff are very well trained and extremely polite , although sometimes requests do go astray because of the awkward geography of the hotel and the many public spaces it occupies.

My bedroom ( Pommery) was stunning and I've stayed in hotels with bedrooms less than have the size of the bathroom I had here.

My only two moans would be the comically dingy lighting in the bedroom and the proximity to reception which meant sleeping beyond 6am was an impossibility. I could understand this if the noise was coming from fellow guests checking out, but it appeared to be from the overly garrulous staff themselves.

Room Tip: Do not sleep on the ground floor if you want a lie in.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank DavidDundonald

Reviewed 15 March 2012

You get the feeling walking up the front steps that this is a quality establishment and we were not disappointed. We stayed in the room that begins with an "E" - can't quite remember, but faced out the side onto a quiet tree lined street. What an excellent night's sleep we had - big comfy beds and spacious room with a nespresso machine - yum!.

We ate in the bistro in the evening and I have to say that, for us, this was the highlight of our stay. Beautifully crafted and tasty dishes all served with personal attention and a recommended bottle of wine that was the perfect accompaniment. The staff were very attentive without being intrusive - the perfect combination.

What a perfect stay - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Coonometer
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Myself and my husband have just returned from an overnight stay at one devonshire gardens hotel du vin. What can I say , absolute luxury, fantastic from start to finish. The staff were the friendliest we have ever had the pleasure to deal with. On arrival we were given a complimentary glass of champagne as we're celebrating our silver wedding anniversary, we were also given a free room upgrade. I cannot say enough about the room it was the kind of room I have only ever dreamed of, I didn't want to leave it, even to go out for dinner ! We had breakfast which was given the thumbs up by my husband who always looks forward to the breakfast. We hope to return to the hotel in the near future and sample the delightful bistro. Thanks again to all the staff for making our stay truly memorable.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen R
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Amazing from the moment we walked in the door. All staff were pleasant and helpful. Loved the soft comfy settees in the warm lounge. Our room was clean, well appointed, beautifully decorated, quiet and comfortable. The shower was powerful, just what we like and the gorgeous soaps plentiful. We ate dinner in the bistro and enjoyed an excellent meal with lovely wine recommended by the sommelier. Nice breakfast with a good selection of hot and cold. We love the quiet relaxing atmosphere of the hotel and can't wait to return.
Staff worthy of mention for excellent service, friendliness and great welcome are the Concierge David and the Porter Rory. They were efficient and very helpful with all sorts of information ready to advise us on what to do and where to go. Our bags were promptly delivered to our room and collected when we checked out, no waiting!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank GMS24
Reviewed 2 March 2012

Stayed there for just an overnight on the 2/3/12 . Has to be said the hotel is extremely well decorated and the staff are very attentive . One devonshire is made up of five beautifully furnished houses that are easy to walk between .There were a few minor points which could maybe do with improvement but this may be me being fussy . It is a very expensive hotel to stay in , however it is by far the nicest hotel in Glasgow , and if you are looking for pure luxury then one devonshire is your place to stay ! The only negative is that although it is easy enough to get into the west end (byres road and ashton lane for restaurants and bars) and the city centre it must be done by taxi or car .You could probably walk to the west end however I would not like to try it in heels !
The room we had was situated on the ground floor next to reception , which meant we could hear whenever people passed the room and were woken by early risers ( we were being very lazy however by sleeping in til 10) . We stayed in a grand junior suite which was stunning ! There was a rolled top bath in the main bedroom/lounge area , a fireplace infront of the huge sleigh bed and a shower which could easily fit 15 people in it quite comfortably . The Tv is placed to the side of the bed and unfortunately meant it was quite difficult for both of us to watch it before going to sleep .
The hotel provides beautiful shower gels and shampoos by arran arromatics and has two showers at seperate ends of the same shower (its quite difficult to explain) however there was no door into the bathroom as it was down the small set of stairs which I found slightly strange .
Overall the hotel is gorgeous , the staff fantastic and could not have been more helpful , I do still think it is slightly overpriced however if you are looking for real luxury in glasgow then this is the best place for you !
Did try to get a photo but my camera was only letting me take very dark pictures , be assured the rooms are beautiful .

Room Tip: Try get a room away from reception to avoid being woken up early on .
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elipants
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Fab hotel.

Greeted warmly and made to feel very at home with complimentary whiskeys then shown to my room by a young lad who was able to tell me a lot about the history of the building.
Great room and bathroom and spotlessly clean!

There wasn't one member of staff who let the hotel down and we ensured that we told the duty manager so.

Other nice little touches like informing you of the next day's weather on the welcome letter.

The food was incredible - I'm a vegan which is usually greeted with horror but the chefs seemed to take it as a challenge and the flavours and textures were outstanding. My carnivorous companion was also thrilled with his and went on to have an extra course as a result.

I've stayed in lots of hotels and this is up there with the best of them - can;t praise them enough, will definitely stay here next time I'm in Glasgow.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank SWebber_12
Reviewed 27 February 2012

On arrival we were automatically upgraded to a superior room which was large with a dressing room leading into a large bathroom. On the surface it looked good but the lighting in the bedroom area was so poor that we couldn't read the information book, how to work the coffee machine or the TV control. The bathroom skirting boards and door frames were very dusty and I suspect haven't had a good clean in years. Maybe this was part of the "old world style"?
Staff were very helpful and friendly. Dinner menu was quite fussy and I was surprised to see when choosing extras no green veg available (butternut squash or roast parsnips). Steak was beautiful and cooked to perfection.
I did not have a cooked breakfast the next day but the buffet table seemed not that much different from any other hotel.
Having stayed in several 5 star hotels I think One Devonshire Gardens needs to sharpen up a little. There are some other hotels in the area who do not have 5 stars but nipping hard at there heels.
Not quite what I expected but I did enjoy my stay and would considering staying there again provided the rate was right.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of the hotel and there was no noise from Great western road to be heard.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business