“An experience worth remembering”

Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #16 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 12 June 2012

From the moment we checked in and were greeted by lovely staff who gave us a wee dram, on the house, we were impressed. Our room and bathroom both very large. Our room had been aired before we got there even though we only booked an hour in advance. We had dinner at the restaurant and from the choice if wines and whiskeys to the starters, mains and deserts we were even further impressed. Chef, Darin Campbell, well done and thank you.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,506)

Reviewed 10 June 2012

My wife and I gravitated to this hotel for its superb package offerings and gourmet restaurant.
We picked their "Highlander" package, which included: a chauffeur ride to Cameron House on Loch Lomand; 45 minute seaplane ride over the Highlands; dinner at the hotel's Boathouse;
chauffer ride back to the hotel; and 2 night stay. We also did their Gourmet dinner with wine pairing that was absolutely superb! We would have given it a 5 rating, but the spacious room seemed to lack lighting to relax a read a bit. Top service too!

Room Tip: I believe that all the rooms are wonderful apartment style in concept.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2012

As part of a surprise birthday treat for my husband I booked us in here for the weekend. Having stayed here previously and experienced some problems I called to discuss the booking and was reassured that my requests could be accommodated.

This time it was everything it promised and more.

The reception here, like the Amrath in Amsterdam, uses the best features of its original achitecture to create a relaxed and unique check in. We were shown to the most comfortable lounge and greatfully accepted the offered dram while our arrival was processed. Shown to our room, the pre ordered bottle of champagne awaited us and we forgot the 5 hour drive in an instant.

As other reviewers have said, the service here is immaculate. Warm yet unobtrusive, no request is too much trouble and when things go wrong they get sorted. We broke a glass in the bathroom around 2am and within two minutes of my alerting reception there was someone there to clear up every last piece discretely and without fuss.

Our room service dinner was first rate, served within 20 minutes - faultless!

They have a winning formula here, the listed buildings with their sweeping stair cases and stained glass windows lend a very special air to this hotel. With fewer than 60 rooms it's small enough to maintain a personal touch while offering a slick, uniquely Scotish welcome to the highest corporate standards.

However, I am still waiting from them to provide me with a table, a mirror and a power socket. Somewhere to sit to dry my hair and aply a little lippy. Bet the rooms were designed by a man.

Room Tip: Ask for front facing for a cooler nights sleep.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jart_7
Reviewed 7 June 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here in 2011 for 2 nights. I was in touch with management before I arrived as we would be arriving early to the hotel, I was going to a football match and my girlfriend, who's just finished a night shift would like to remain at the hotel and get some sleep. We were told Check-In wasn't until 4pm but they would do our best to have our room ready as early as possible.

We arrived about 11.30am and were told we had been upgraded but the room still hadn't been vacated yet by the previous guests so they couldn't get in to clean it. They made us feel extremely welcome and let my girlfriend rest in the lounge, brought her tea until the room was ready. We were allowed to our room about 1pm - a good 3 hours earlier than they needed to.

Throughout our stay we were made to feel very welcome, nothing was any trouble. The service was very personal - things like remembering our names, what room key we needed without even asking and any requests we had were all dealt with quickly.

The room (upgraded to a suite) was immaculate, king size and very comfortable 4 poster bed, lots of space with a couple of sofas and large arm chairs, desk, plenty of storage space and top of the range gadgets (B&O TV and Bowers & Wilkins iPod Docking Station), a dressing room and amazing bathroom with rain shower and big tub!

A faultless hotel with great staff who make you feel special for a couple of days!

Room Tip: Sunday nights and start of the week are cheaper and good chance you may be upgraded.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter_McNulty
Reviewed 30 May 2012

MORE “TIQUE” than “BOU”….
I am one of those fortunate people that get to travel the world and stay in various hotels at someone else’s expense. Sometimes it’s a nightmare and sometimes it’s well, simply delightful. The “Hotel du Vin” falls into the latter…..SIMPLY DELIGHTFUL!!!!
I must start with the Gallic greet that I received, charming, sincere and above all, helpful. The staff were dressed in traditional Scottish Tartan, but oddly did not look out of place for 2012….actually quite refreshing compared to the sterility of black and white that one tends to be adorned by everywhere else.
Helpful, attentive and always there without being on your shoulder. My visit was for business but the staff turned it into a 12 hour break.
The building was impressive…several houses (I think of the early Victorian era???) adjoined in a terrace but gave the impression of individuality. The décor, dark (Victorian) I imagine sympathetic to the construction and/or planning laws however worked beautifully. Medium oak panelling with the odd modern bric-a-brac thrown in for good measure and a reality check as to the era we are currently in….again worked!!!
My room was spacious with a free standing bath and double shower, even a Tassimo maker by the bed with a little wooden box containing 4 capsules…delightful.
In essence…simply delightful: the staff were fabulous; if I owned an establishment of similar proportion, I would poach the lot….perhaps du VIN group should franchise their training methods.
My only criticisms are; 1. No Air-con in the room or common parts (but an oscillating fan in the room) – it was a hot day (but how often is that the case in Glasgow and maybe planning restrictions hindered???) 2. No San Pellegrino water (I am a water snob..if possible??), but were proudly happy to supply copious amounts of Highland Spring, of which great pride was taken to extol it’s value – I imagine a degree of Nationalism was presented…but why not???
All in all…..delightful, whether a legitimate/illicit/business or an “I deserve it moment” – I strongly recommend it… my room was the “CLOS L’EGLISE” – ground floor.
A massive thank you, and well-done to all and sundry that I dealt with.
Your company should be proud of you!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank forbiche08
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Stayed one night only for NYE 2011/12, and wish we'd booked for longer. I don't need to wax lyrical about how beautiful and stylish the hotel is as you can read about it in other reviews. I just wanted to point out a few little things that made my stay memorable and even more comfortable.

Several big pluses:

-super comfortable beds (which can be extremely dangerous if you have to check out in the morning). Their midday check out policy made the transition into the outside world less painful though.

-BIG bottles of good quality toiletries. So much easier to use than miniscule bottles you get at some hotels of similar standard. Plus, they smell so lovely that you will want to take them home with you. I do not think you can get Arran Aromatics products elsewhere.

-Top quality breakfast ingredients. Perfectly poached eggs with orange yolk…Could not fault it. And delivered HOT to our room (something the Dorchester is sometimes not capable of achieving)

- Flexible and generous staff - they went an extra mile to make our stay even more pleasant and comfortable. Our in-room breakfast order was taken after 11, even though they stop serving breakfast then. The breakfast tray charge and several items we had consumed from the mini bar were deducted from our bill on checking out on their own initiative. What a nice good-bye present. It was like staying with a wealthy and generous friend.

-beautifully served afternoon tea. Left me a bit underwhelmed - even Betty's in York have more adventurous flavours. Tasty enough though.

-Very cosy whisky room. Good mojitos. Would like a better selection of affordable fizz. Regret I didn't give them my usual test which is ordering a classic champagne cocktail. Oh well, will have to come back to check that.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Smultronstallet
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Our stay at this hotel started with a wonderful, warm and helpful welcome - the best possible start to a luxurious stay.
Our room was warm, tastefully furnished and decorated in an unusual rich style. The bed was extremely comfortable and the linen was luxurious. The bathroom was well equipped with a large deep bath and a wonderfully refreshing shower. The toiletries were of a very high standard and worth taking home.
Room service was quick and efficient. An ice bucket was delivered quickly with no fuss.
Dinner was a great experience and the quality off the food was first class. Excellent guidance was provided on the choice of wine. Overall this was probably one of the best dinners I have had - so far.
Breakfast was particularly good with an exceptional 'full Scotish breakfast' with very good mini black puddings and sausages.
Throughout, the service at dinner, breakfast, the bar and reception was friendly and proficient. Even when we left the doorman could not have been more helpful.
This hotel epitomises what a good hotel should be - all resources are focused upon ensuring that guests have a great experience. This hotel is a credit to Scottish hospitality, and the leaders and staff should be proud of what they are delivering. I look forward to returning.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple