“How to resolve a problem 101”

Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #16 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Having stayed here on a number of occasions I was deeply disappointed to find out at check in that the room I had booked by name (and confirmed a week earlier) had been given to someone else.

Each room is unique with it's own "personality" and I had been waiting for a year to get this particular room (I visit Glasgow regularly). We had been driving for hours to get there, I was exhausted and didn't know whether to start yelling or burst into tears. The kindly desk staff were very apologetic but that didn't help my mood.

Then David the concierge stepped in, sat us down in the lounge, ordered us some complimentary drinks and listened while I got it off my chest. While this was going on he had all our many bags brought in and sorted out the car hire company to come fetch their vehicle rather than me have to deliver it back to the city centre. This man exemplifies the ultimate in professionalism and empathy, he is worth his weight in gold and deserves a pay rise.

By way of an apology, we were upgraded to one of their fabulous Town House Suites, Hush Heath, and thanks to David calm was restored.

That evening we had a quiet drink in the bar (where the Spanish barman recalled what my last drink there had been???) and checked out the bistro menu. We decided to have room service and the restuarant manager offered to make us a meal to order, if they had it the chef would prepare it. Wow!

An hour later we were snuggling up in front of the tv in the lounge of our suite to enjoy the best room service meal we have every had.

2  Thank Jart_7

Reviewed 30 September 2013

Staff and facilities at this hotel first rate. We had 2 nights here and while next time we'd prefer somewhere closer to the city, this was a marvellous experience. Restaurants (both formal and then bistro) excellent.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ranipuss
Reviewed 23 September 2013

As a woman traveling alone, I felt safe and welcomed. What I loved about the hotel...David, the concierge, he was lovely and very knowledgeable.
The location, near the fun and funky West End (about 15 minute walk) near the beautiful botanical gardens. I think much better than staying in tired downtown. Bed was very comfy and tons of closet space.
What I didn't like ....climbing 3 flights of stairs to get to my room. The Internet access was on the blink the whole time there...they need a new system update for sure. Call to make sure it works before you go.
The worst was the lighting in both the room and bathroom....if there were 40 watt bulbs that was a lot... Very hard to see, would have been easier putting make up on in the hall! (Smile) they could also use safes in each room.
That being said, I really liked the hotel and would return for all of the good reasons listed above.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Missartsycraftsy
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

This is not for the traveller looking for minimalist chic!

Rooms are large - other reviewers have suggested - dark, and well appointed. The stamp of Ralph Lauren everpresent!

Breakfast, bar, and bistro food all befitting the price tag.

Granted it is not in the middle of the city, it is however in striking (walking!) distance of the best that the Westend has to offer.

Here for a week and would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Stayed here for a wedding at the hotel. Sensational room with two huge bay windows, bath in the bedroom, beautiful bathroom and a comfy bed. Staff were wonderfully attentive and helpful. Possibly the best bacon I've tasted for breakfast too...

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Found this hotel via Travago as the others I usually use in Glasgow were fully booked. Got a room rate close to what what Holiday Inn Express were after. The latter has as much character as a weetabix, Hotel du Vin is the polar opposite. Previously known as One Devonshire Gardens this is 4 large Georgian House interconnected. Idiosyncratic, and charming. Lots of steps though so will not suit all.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Last minute booking same day as arrival. Really liked this unique hotel made up of I think 5 Georgian terrace houses in the West End of Glasgow. Service was friendly and informative, room was really nice and comfortable. Cannot comment on the food as we were eating else where but will go back and sample on next stay. Would not pay the rack rate, but I would not pay that sort of money for any hotel room but the last minute rate was good value for the standard.

1  Thank riverlife