“Wow... What a room”

Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #16 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We selected this place just because tripadvisor comments and we really got so much more then expected.
Our room had an in room bath tube and was just pure luxury enjoyment.
Dinner was great and service excellent.
It was hard to leave.
Thanks to the hotel also for their nice honeymoon wishes!
Can't wait to get back.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,483)

Reviewed 20 October 2013

An elegant, sumptuous hotel with very efficient staff. We stayed in a club room as that was only one available, think it starts at standard then club. Could not fault room in any way, separate seating area, roll top bath, TV in bathroom, modern coffee machine and well stocked mini bar. The hotel's set menu is extremely good value and we will be returning to try their Sunday brunch menu also. Bar area intimate and thoroughly relaxing, staff very friendly. Bed and pillows extremely comfortable.Parking not an issue which is an added bonus. All in all I would say this is the best luxury hotel in Glasgow.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Suzanne011
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

We arrived and were greeted by Dave the concierge who took our bags and chatted as he showed us to our amazing suite. ....relaxed then off for dinner which was fantastic, best black pudding and poached eggs ever. Night cap in the bar after our concert and the best nights sleep on HUGE bed... Lovely breakfast to follow...great service, beautiful room, we didn't want to leave... Hope to return very soon.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank ArleneD66
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

All the usual ingredients of Hotel Du Vin, very friendly helpful staff, interesting building and good location a couple of miles outside of the centre of Glasgow but a little let down by worn furnishings and bathrooms in need of maintenance.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank James B
Reviewed 11 October 2013

This is a sumptuous hotel. You WILL have a good experience. So why not 5/5?

The hotel is in the West End of Glasgow which is a lovely neighbourhood. Much better than being in the centre of town, in my opinion but I always had a soft spot for the West End and when I lived in Glasgow, I wouldn't have considered any other area.

Room wasn't ready when I arrived. This is despite arriving 2 hours after check in time. Not a huge problem. Complimentary drink in the very nice lounge while I waited. They would only need 15 mins. 30 minutes later, no drink and no room! After 45 mins, drink drunk and I was finally checked in. I had upgraded the room to a slightly larger one and it was lovely. Large room with (worn) couch and a huge bathroom. The bath was enormous and I immediately decided to swim in it later. Nice smellies too. The shower though, was in desperate need of TLC. Discoloured grouting, I presume mould-stained, was startlingly bad. Now I'm not squeamish and I'm sure it was clean i.e. there wasn't any mould I think but frankly, I wouldn't put up with that at home so why would it be okay in a luxury hotel? Pic attached.

Had dinner with friends, which was fantastic, a real highlight although the service was confused at best. They were very busy that night but the young staff didn't really have a handle on it all. It needed someone in charge who was over the age of 21 and who actually ate out at expensive restaurants. Breakfast was consistently okay, nothing exciting. Had looked forward to afternoon tea in the lounge with friends but, at 2.30pm they'd run out of everything. You know, scones take 5 minutes to prepare and 10 minutes to cook! I've been to other places where the scones are freshly prepared so it IS possible. You could come up with something if you really wanted. The people next to us managed to get high tea.... In the end they came up with a bit of shortbread. Disappointed.

I stayed here a few years ago and the hotel is definitely showing signs of wear. The ironing board in my room couldn't support a kitten let alone the iron which basically collapsed, sending the hot iron on the floor narrowly missing my feet. Also, be warned if you're on the front of the hotel. Great Western Road is extremely busy and noisy. The hotel is set back from the road but you'll still hear it. The hotel was stuffy, even though the heating was off, and so I had left the windows open. As a student I lived on Great Western Road and the noise of the buses would make my windows rattle. That hasn't changed. There's no aircon, not needed in Scotland I assure you, so you may need to open the window to get some air. Even when closed I reckon there will be quite a bit of noise at the front, seeing as how they are single paned windows.

So I'm moaning. It's a lovely hotel. I paid £200 per night and for the quality, you won't find better locally. I've stayed in broom cupboards in London or New York for roughly the same price so it's good value. But I feel the service really let them down and some parts of the hotel are in need of refurb or a good clean. If I could give 4.5 out of 5 I would but they need to brush up on the service and break out some refurb cash (and some new grouting).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank stevenr35
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Booked in for one night. Porter that showed us to room was very helpful and room looked lovely. However, bathroom had musty, damp smell and on inspection, found black mould on one side of bath. Fan in room was covered in dust as well as standing lamp!
Was given another room which was an upgrade and much nicer. Should have had the high standard of the second room in the first instance!

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Aliajh
Reviewed 7 October 2013

just the best, superb and good value as well, lovely rooms, bathrooms and shower was out of this world, valet parking, great service all round, sadly just a one night stopover this time,I will be back as soon as I can make it

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business