“Standards slipping” 4 of 5 bubbles

Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #15 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
“Standards slipping”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Had a pleasant welcome to hotel, but the porter Neil did not show us around the room, had to spend a bit of time searching for tea tray and hair dryer. Comfy bed and lovely bathroom. We did not eat dinner there, however we did eat breakfast. Again standards are slipping, soup spoons for fruit and cereal. Ignored when we asked to order, pretty unfriendly staff. Very few guests to look after so there can be no excuse. Reception staff were pleasant and friendly, as was the morning porter when we checked out. Not as top notch as it has been during our last visits, sad to write, for the price I think we can do better somewhere else.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GMS24
ODGManager, General Manager at Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Dear GMS24,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed aspects of your stay but I was very disappointed to hear that everything was not as it should be. I'd be very keen to discuss your feedback in more detail. Please contact me on marianne.clave@hotelduvin.com or 0141 339 2001.

I hope to speak to you soon.

Marianne Clave

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stayed on a Sunday night on the special Stay Over rate which was excellent value. The room was fantastic, sheer luxury in every respect. The food was really lovely and the service faultless. My only quibble was that we were not offered the set menu in the restaurant which was advertised on the website but had to ask for it. Also, wifi was very weak in our room which was at the far end of the hotel - max distance from the router.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Starlight202,

Thank you for your lovely review of our hotel; I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed over on a recent Saturday night as a Birthday treat for dinner, bed and breakfast and it did not disappoint. Luxurious rooms, discreet service and attentive staff made our night extra special. Bar area was very relaxing but great choice of drinks available. Wonderful treat and hope to return again soon.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank barrymac82
ODGManager, General Manager at Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Barrymac82,

Thank you for your lovely review of our hotel - the team and I are very happy that you enjoyed your stay.

We're looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Irvine, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

My partner and I stayed here to celebrate her 40th birthday and I have to say it was fabulous.
From the minute we arrived to the minute we left we were treated like superstars. The staff are
exceptional . In the restaurant we had the taster menu which was brilliant , a must if you trat yourself to dinner here. Would like to say a big thank you to all at O D G FOR MAKING OUR STAY MEMORABLE.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beaksyboy
Dear Beaksyboy,

Thank you for your fantastic review; I'm delighted that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us.

Hopefully we'll see you back for next year's birthday celebrations (if not before!).

Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

Second visit here for a relaxing night away. Our room was lovely, large and well decorated. We were in one of the newly renovated rooms, so I expected it to be nice and wasn't let down. Loved the bathroom, with roll top bath, rainfall shower and under floor heating. We dined in the restaurant , food was lovely as usual, portions not huge though. Dessert was the highlight!
Friendly staff and nice atmosphere. The bar was a nice place to relax.
I would have enjoyed lounging around a bit longer than an 11am checkout, but I suppose that is fairly standard...will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frasersmum
Dear Frasersmum,

Thank you for your lovely review; I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

We're looking forward to welcoming you back for your third stay soon!

Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Hotel Du Vin whilst on a Christmas shopping break in Glasgow and I am so glad we did. From the moment we set foot in the hotel everyone was so friendly and helpful. Our bags were graciously taken from our weary hands and we were guided to the lovely reception area where check in was speedy and efficient. Our bags were whisked up stairs and a very helpful room attendent talked us through our wonderfully cosy bedroom. What really impressed me is that the gentleman did not hover about waiting for a tip. I turned my back to take a tip from my bag but he just slipped out of the door. Wonderfully classy.

We ate dinner at the hotel on the first night of our stay and again, I am so glad we did. Table service was excellent without being pestered and the food was exquisite. A special thank you to the Maitre D who suggested a grouse starter that was not even on the menu, it was delicious. Our dinner was served at the perfect speed, not rushed but not so long that you wondered where your food had got to . After dinner we headed to the whisky snug to try some of there wonderful collection. Working in the whisky industry myself, I have to say there collection has a wonderful breadth and depth including lesser known grain and blended scotch whiskies and some unusual bourbons from across the pond. We quite happily drank the night away whilst spotting a few celebrities at the same time.

Our second day started of superbly with a marvellous breakfast. Quick to table and cooked to perfection. The haddock was heavenly and the pancakes with bacon were the best way I have ever started my day. Front desk then kindly called us a taxi to begin our shopping. After a full days shopping we came back to the hotel tired and in need of a rest! We freshened up, changed and then headed out to town to dine but I wish we had eaten in the hotel again because frankly our dinner out paled in comparison with the high standards set by Hotel Du Vin.
Our final morning again started with a marvellous breakfast, this time it was eggs Benedict and they are the best I have ever had. The Hollandaise sauce was faultless, I talked about it all the way home.
I was genuinly sad to leave Hotel Du Vin. It is the most comfortable and relaxing stay I have ever had in a hotel and we are definatley making this our go to hotel in Glasgow. 10 out of 10, wonderful and marvellous.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are named abfter wines and champagnes and we stayed in Villa Maria which is decaden...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Teresa C
Dear Teresa C,

Thank you for your fantastic and very detailed review of our hotel - the team and I are delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay!

We all look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night and were upgraded to a super room. The staff were all fantastic although some of the dining staff were lovely and well meaning but a bit dipsy. Hotel isn't in central Glasgow but there are some kooky restaurants nearby. We had the tasting menu in the evening which was delicious. Would stay here again if in Glasgow.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Anna_Traveller028
Dear Anna_Traveller028,

Thank you for you lovely comments about our staff, your dinner and stay at our hotel.

We all hope to see you back at the hotel very soon.