“Fantastic hotel, lovely stay but still some niggles...”

Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #15 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hotel, lovely stay but still some niggles...”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

This was my first stay at ODG and, overall, I was highly impressed with the room, receptions staff and overall enjoyment. There were a few issues though that just took the shine off and, otherwise, amazing stay!

We arrived for check-in at 3pm and were disappointed to find our room not ready. After walking to the bar to find it full the receptionist sat us in the lounge and ordered us some coffee to pass the time. We also asked for a late check-out to make up for the delay which was easily accommodated.

Once we got to the room it was beautifully decorated, well equipped and had the most amazing bathroom and shower. It was darker, due to being on the top floor, but nothing too off-putting and plenty of lighting options to make use of.

The separate wardrobes and dressing area was great and there was lots of seating and storage throughout. The only big disappointment was the bed which is the creakiest I have ever experienced. After some experimentation with some throw cushions we were able to eliminate most of the noise from it, but not something I expect to have to do in such a hotel.

The night passed all to quickly and the hotel was quiet, despite being on the main road, and little footfall in the corridor.

By far the most disappointing element of the stay was breakfast. The staff were rather inexperienced and left us waiting on a number of occasions to order and receive items - pleasant and friendly but not the level of service you expect in such a hotel. Had it not been included in the price I would have felt robbed paying what was asked for a continental breakfast and even more so for the cooked. I would also say that the coffee on offer is amongst the worst ever experienced.

All in all a great hotel which looks and feel opulent throughout. The location was great for our needs, though parking was limited there is plenty in the local area and it is within easy reach of the west end and town was a £10 taxi away. Next time in the city we will certainly stay again, but will give breakfast a miss and venture to one of the great places in the west end for something instead!

Room Tip: Next time I would request a room on the middle floor to make the most of the high windows.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Nick E
ODGManager, General Manager at Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Nick E,

Thank you for your lovely review of the hotel. Please accept my apologies for the creaky bed and your experience at breakfast. I'd be keen to discuss these further with you; please contact me on marianne.clave@hotelduvin.com or 0141 339 2001.

Thank you again and I hope to hear from you soon.

Marianne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I booked Afternoon Tea for myself and 5 friends for a birthday celebration and we had the most fabulous afternoon at Hotel du Vin. Everything was absolutely perfect and we were all so well looked after by the staff. 5 star service that's not pretentious in any way with a welcoming and relaxed atmosphere. Delicious sandwiches, gorgeous cakes and yummy warmed scones with proper clotted cream and jam. We sat in front of the fire, chatting and laughing, hardly aware that the attentive staff were refreshing our teapots and topping up our wine glasses.There are lots of hotels in Glasgow offering afternoon tea, but for something special try Hotel du Vin. We loved it!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sooz1232013
Dear Sooz1232013,

Thank you for your fantastic review of our afternoon tea. I'm delighted that you had such an enjoyable experience and hope to see you back at the hotel very soon.

Marianne
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Beautiful hotel, with stunning rooms, and great amenities and just a short walk up to Byres road. We stayed here for a couple nights and had a great time. The staff was super friendly. We had dinner at the restaurant a couple times, food was very good, but not great, but everything tasted fresh. Spent time in the parlor after dinner with the bartender bringing over various whiskeys from around Scotland for my fiancee to taste and he was very knowledgeable about them all.

Great stay, will definitely stay here again next time back in Glasgow.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
ODGManager, General Manager at Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Dear NextVacationPending,

Thank you for your lovely review of our hotel; I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Had a pleasant welcome to hotel, but the porter Neil did not show us around the room, had to spend a bit of time searching for tea tray and hair dryer. Comfy bed and lovely bathroom. We did not eat dinner there, however we did eat breakfast. Again standards are slipping, soup spoons for fruit and cereal. Ignored when we asked to order, pretty unfriendly staff. Very few guests to look after so there can be no excuse. Reception staff were pleasant and friendly, as was the morning porter when we checked out. Not as top notch as it has been during our last visits, sad to write, for the price I think we can do better somewhere else.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GMS24
Dear GMS24,

Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed aspects of your stay but I was very disappointed to hear that everything was not as it should be. I'd be very keen to discuss your feedback in more detail. Please contact me on marianne.clave@hotelduvin.com or 0141 339 2001.

I hope to speak to you soon.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We stayed on a Sunday night on the special Stay Over rate which was excellent value. The room was fantastic, sheer luxury in every respect. The food was really lovely and the service faultless. My only quibble was that we were not offered the set menu in the restaurant which was advertised on the website but had to ask for it. Also, wifi was very weak in our room which was at the far end of the hotel - max distance from the router.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Starlight202,

Thank you for your lovely review of our hotel; I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Scotland
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed over on a recent Saturday night as a Birthday treat for dinner, bed and breakfast and it did not disappoint. Luxurious rooms, discreet service and attentive staff made our night extra special. Bar area was very relaxing but great choice of drinks available. Wonderful treat and hope to return again soon.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank barrymac82
ODGManager, General Manager at Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Barrymac82,

Thank you for your lovely review of our hotel - the team and I are very happy that you enjoyed your stay.

We're looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Irvine, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My partner and I stayed here to celebrate her 40th birthday and I have to say it was fabulous.
From the minute we arrived to the minute we left we were treated like superstars. The staff are
exceptional . In the restaurant we had the taster menu which was brilliant , a must if you trat yourself to dinner here. Would like to say a big thank you to all at O D G FOR MAKING OUR STAY MEMORABLE.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beaksyboy
Dear Beaksyboy,

Thank you for your fantastic review; I'm delighted that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us.

Hopefully we'll see you back for next year's birthday celebrations (if not before!).