“Not consistently well coordinated!”

Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #15 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I booked a room there for a Christmas Eve family gathering. The food was OK, but there are much better choices in Glasgow West End. Service was efficient and pleasant. The lack of coordination was baffling. I had ordered flowers for the room and Christmas decorations. The room was not prepared as agreed. I had booked a hotel room for one family member. Again, the room had not been booked, though this and the room decoration were agreed in writing. Having to handle this mess on Christams Eve was not part of my plan but forced upon me by incompetent management. I was offered significant rebate and apologies--though the issues were not communicated to the manager until I did so myself two weeks afterwards. To be fair, on a former occasion all was much better. Should I use them again, I would definitely follow up (i.e. partially manage myself) any agreement in writing to avoid disappointment. The Hotel appears to operate like a multi-headed organisation without communication between the different parts.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
ODGManager, General Manager at Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2014

Dear Philrs,

Thank you for your comments on our hotel and please accept my apologies again for your experience. We have already spoken but should you wish to discuss this further, please contact me directly.

There are newer reviews for Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens

Reviewed 4 January 2014

This was our first visit to One Devonshire Gardens and were very excited as this is somewhere we have considered for a wedding venue. We received a very warm welcome from the reception staff and were shown to our room by a very lovely man who told us all about the history of the hotel. The hotel itself is gorgeous and has a very traditional Scottish style. We stayed in the Clos Mogador room which was warm and cosy with a massive bed and an en suite bathroom. We ordered room service on arrival which came very quickly and was delicious. We booked the Friday Tonic deal which includes a three course meal and half bottle of champagne, this too was delicious. The staff were very attentive and made us feel very relaxed and comfortable. After dinner we invited our friends to join us for a few drinks in the bar. We sampled some of the cocktails and the boys enjoyed a cigar from the cigar shack. They also sampled some whisky in the whisky room which was so cosy with a big burning log fire! We did get a bit lost at times as the hotel is like a maze but there was always a friendly member of staff on hand to send us in the right direction. I don't know his name however there was a member of staff wearing red tartan trousers who helped us to pick out a cigar and couldn't have been more helpful when we went outside to sit in the snug, making sure our drinks were topped up and that we were warm enough. All in all our stay here was everything we hoped and more. Very romantic and we can't wait to visit again. We hope to make it in March for the open evening to find out a bit more about weddings here.

If I had one little tiny niggle it was that when booking the Friday Tonic deal I was directed to a page to chose our room. I chose a superior room as the description read,

"Classic Double room with King size bed, open plan seating area, roll top bath and walk in monsoon shower."

I was really looking forward to the roll top bath however this was not what we had so this is slightly misleading and I would have booked another room if I knew. However everything else was amazing and we can't wait to come back! Thank you.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear marsh_mallow86,

Thank you for your fantastic review of the hotel. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your visit so much and hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

This was our second visit in a month - the first to see JLS second night in a row with daughter! We had a large suite then which was spacious and opulent and looked out onto the front where we found parking easy. Lovely bar supper before we went out and when we came back, we had another drink as bed had not been made up for Alysia and although staff went and did it straight away, nice touch in offering our drinks on the house because of inconvenience. Second visit was on New Years Day and we were emailed the offer to upgrade so we accepted this and awaited the option when we checked in. The room was not ready which we understood being Hogmanay and late check outs but again, the drinks were offered as complimentary which was nice. We had an hour wait but totally worth it as we were put in the Krug Luxtown Suite complete with two bathrooms and a gym! So many lovely touches and daughter had a massive lounge with Smart Tv and her own shower room. The large bathroom had huge Jacuzzi bath, fantastic shower and a wonderful sauna.

All in all, the stay was so very relaxing and the staff are lovely, I do appreciate what people say as at breakfast, I did feel that the staff were not quite as attentive and might have wanted some extra toast, but there was no opportunity to ask anyone.

However, this would not stop us coming back as it is in a fantastic location and ideal for a night away to go to theatre or venue or just for wee shopping weekend. Total relaxation!!

Room Tip: I love that there is an option to upgrade if possible just to make the stay even more luxurious and...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank jane_troup

Dear jane_troup,

Thank you for your lovely review of the hotel. I'm delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and hope to see you back at the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

This is a great hotel - welcoming, helpful staff, comfortable beds, very good food and a jolly good ceilidh to welcome the new year, we found that for several couples new year is a regular booking - which speaks well,

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chrisBerkhamsted

Dear chrisBerkhamsted,

Thank you for your great review of the hotel and our ceilidh - hope to see ypu back for the next one, if not before!

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We use one Devonshire a few times per year for romantic dinners and the occasional overnight. The food is devine and the service is excellent from the greeting to the farewell.

We use 5 star hotels and fine dining restaurants often, and this is one of our favourites. Certainly the best hotel in glasgow in my opinion.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Scottishmike1

Dear scottishmike1,

Thank you for your fantastic review of the hotel - I'm delighted that you enjoy our hotel and restaurant so much.

I hope to see you back at the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed in December twice - once for business and once with my wife. The stay in early Dec was fine with no issues. The staff at reception are excellent and as good as I have experienced anywhere. The stay after Christmas was ok, but breakfast was not good at all. The food could be much better and I am sure the chef knows it. No toast offered or brought until I asked and had finished my food. Also, on arrival I was offered a paper each morning which also never arrived - maybe this is also arranged by the toast guy!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank hkgcd

Dear hkgcd,

Thank you for your review. I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall and I'm keen to discuss your experience at breakfast with you directly. Please contact me on marianne.clave@hotelduvin.com or on 0141 339 2001.

Thank you again and I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

This was my first stay at ODG and, overall, I was highly impressed with the room, receptions staff and overall enjoyment. There were a few issues though that just took the shine off and, otherwise, amazing stay!

We arrived for check-in at 3pm and were disappointed to find our room not ready. After walking to the bar to find it full the receptionist sat us in the lounge and ordered us some coffee to pass the time. We also asked for a late check-out to make up for the delay which was easily accommodated.

Once we got to the room it was beautifully decorated, well equipped and had the most amazing bathroom and shower. It was darker, due to being on the top floor, but nothing too off-putting and plenty of lighting options to make use of.

The separate wardrobes and dressing area was great and there was lots of seating and storage throughout. The only big disappointment was the bed which is the creakiest I have ever experienced. After some experimentation with some throw cushions we were able to eliminate most of the noise from it, but not something I expect to have to do in such a hotel.

The night passed all to quickly and the hotel was quiet, despite being on the main road, and little footfall in the corridor.

By far the most disappointing element of the stay was breakfast. The staff were rather inexperienced and left us waiting on a number of occasions to order and receive items - pleasant and friendly but not the level of service you expect in such a hotel. Had it not been included in the price I would have felt robbed paying what was asked for a continental breakfast and even more so for the cooked. I would also say that the coffee on offer is amongst the worst ever experienced.

All in all a great hotel which looks and feel opulent throughout. The location was great for our needs, though parking was limited there is plenty in the local area and it is within easy reach of the west end and town was a £10 taxi away. Next time in the city we will certainly stay again, but will give breakfast a miss and venture to one of the great places in the west end for something instead!

Room Tip: Next time I would request a room on the middle floor to make the most of the high windows.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Nick E

Dear Nick E,

Thank you for your lovely review of the hotel. Please accept my apologies for the creaky bed and your experience at breakfast. I'd be keen to discuss these further with you; please contact me on marianne.clave@hotelduvin.com or 0141 339 2001.

Thank you again and I hope to hear from you soon.