“Lovely place but a wee bit overrated”

Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #16 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely place but a wee bit overrated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

I was here for a wedding a couple of weeks ago.
I live outside of Glasgow and have not known much about this place before the wedding.
Everyone I spoke to had commented so highly I probably think my expectations were set too high.
There was too many people for the venue (it could have been the bride and groom over inviting) and most people were hanging about in the hallway as the bar area was packed and really hot.
The toilets could do with a wee overhaul... They were clean but not reflective of this venues caliber.
Drinks were over priced.
Staff were friendly.
Building itself is lovely and interesting.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1DGManager, General Manager at Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Thank you for your recent review.

I am glad that you enjoyed the character of the hotel and the wedding day.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed the service you received and we will continue to improve the facilities at the hotel.

We appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back.

Warm regards,

Craig Paton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

Hotel du Vin, in my opinion is the best hotel in Glasgow. The rooms are very comfortable. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. I would highly recommend this wonderful boutique hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Joanna M
ODGManager, General Manager at Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for you fantastic review; I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay!

I hope to see you back at the hotel very soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

This is a lovely boutique hotel in a about 10 minutes walk away from the West End area of Glasgow. The hotel itself is beautiful with grand staircases and wood panelling. We stayed in Taittinger which although well appointed was a little too dark for our liking due to dark walls, carpets and bedding resulting in us having the lights on at all times. The quality of TV, sound system, coffee machine etc was impressive. The room was a little tired with faded curtains and scuffed woodwork, very nice but just a little disappointing -perhaps my expectations were too high!. The bathroom however was beautiful with a deep roll top bath, fabulous monsoon shower and wonderfully soft towels. The hotel was exceptionally clean and the staff attentive and very friendly. Breakfast was great with a good selection, all well cooked and presented.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely review; I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and we'll take on board your comments about the room being tired.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I got married at hotel du vin at the end of March 2014. The staff could not have been more helpful with all if our requests and the venue looked perfect for our day. We would highly recommended the venue, hotel and restaurant! Everything was faultless.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank NicolaPJ
Congratulations on your recent wedding!

Thank you for your lovely comments on our hotel and staff; I'm very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

I was married in this lovely hotel 3 years ago and my day was perfect, I could not ask for better service, attention to detail and care for all my guests. It was a complete success.
We now go back every year for our anniversary. We have tried a different room every time we go and every standard of room is lovely. This year we were in one of the top suites which was lovely and it was nice to try how the other half lives. Even though there were a few little things that I thought could have been sorted and found it really was not worth mentioning as we were only there for one night and I am sure if I did report these little things they would have been dealt with with no fuss at all. The staff will do anything for you without hesitation and with a smile and care you do not get in every hotel. We were told whilst staying last year that they do not have a five star and were at a 4 star status but this I find unbelievable, as this is 5 star treatment. We stayed in a so called 5 star near erskin and it is not a patch on this hotel.
The food is excellent and we have never been disappointed with any meal we have had. The tasting menu is well worth trying. The service from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave is the best you will experience in Glasgow and surrounding area. We will continue to stay in this hotel for many years to come as we have stayed in many but we always found there is no place better. If you are looking for attentive staff, romantic setting and the best in town, look no further than One Devonshire Gardens.

Room Tip: All rooms are great, you will not be disappointed with any one of them. They are all of a high stand...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 288Lindyloo
Congratulations on your recent anniversay and thank you for continuing to celebrate this at the hotel!

Thank you for your fantastic feedback and I hope to welcome you nack to the hotel very soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Having been eager to to try One Devonshire for years as it's set in such a beautiful building and location, and as I pass it every day, finally curiousity got the better of me. I decided to treat the girlfriend to a couple of nights in new surroundings. Apart from a lengthy wait at reception upon checking in, and the use of named rather than numbered rooms leading to alot of time wandering corridors, everything was perfect. My gf and I found the staff very attentive when called upon, and were always smiling.

The lobby and reception are beautifully appointed and very grandiose. The dark curtains, exposed wood and stained-glass compliment each other well. The room was in keping with the theme and charmingly decorated. Due to the shape of the building I would imagine each has its own character. All the amenities necessary are there, and I found the nespresso machine a lovely touch in particular. The huge bed was luxurious and made the room, however the bathroom is finished to spectacular standard. The huge deep bath was more than comfortable with both of us in there, so was thoroughly well used. Great range of toiletries to use too.

We'd never had any problems with the food from the Bistro downstairs when eating there in the past, so we ordered room service both nights. And on both nights we were not disappointed. The oysters tasted fresh and the steak was cooked just right. Nothing overly complicated but done very well all the same.

We had a lovely stay and it was like a romantic getaway in the heart of the city, such is the seperation you feel from the outside world. We barely stepped over the hotel's threshold for two nights and wanted for nothing. Dearer than most hotels in the city, but for good reason. It's worth every penny.

Room Tip: Take note of your room name, literally.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tomcjohnstone
Thank you for your lovely feedback; I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

Loved this hotel. Beautiful room (Superior Grand), very elegant and spacious and the bathroom was amazing, roll top bath and an amazing shower. Bed was really comfortable and we had a lovely stay. I'd have liked the soundproofing to be a bit better as the noise from outside and from other rooms was noticeable but not to an extent where you were overly disturbed. The staff are fantastic, really helpful and knowledgable and happy to go that little bit further for you. Do give it a go.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the of the hotel would be a bit quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely comments; I'm very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay.