“Luxury home away from home”

Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #16 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
“Luxury home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

If you fancy a 19th century luxury home away from home, look no further. Huge rooms with high seelings. Wall to wall carpeting, wodden panels, a bathroom the size of a room in lesser hotels and wodden panels make this a very cozy hotel. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I did not try the bistro except for breakfast, but the bar has big sofas and chairs to relax in. I can highly recommend the hotel, I stayed in room Madfish and I only saw one other room, which also was as nice.

You need to be aware of a few things, to make sure they do not bother you:
- The hotel is in a fancy recidential area, so there is little else there. However a taxi to the crnter is quick and cheap.
- It is a lot of corridors and stairs, I did not see an elevator.
- At least my room had no airconditioning or even a vent, so you will need to keep a window open slightly. If your room is to the street tge isolation is not terribly good, so you will get some noice even with the windows closed. The thick velvet drapes take care of most of the noise, but not all.
- the breakfast buffet is quite small, but they do have a wide selection of delicious cooked dishes. The prices are quite high, so if you enjoy eating a big breakfast, make sure you get a tate were it is included.

All this said, I will most certainly stay here again on my next visit to Glasgow.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1DGManager, General Manager at Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Thank you for your review, it is exactly what we try to achieve, every day!

The character of the hotel & the teams that look after you is our unique strength & I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay & will return.

Together, we will continue to improve the hotel & look after our valued guests.

Craig Paton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed one night in April. Lovely hotel. Fabulous rooms and very helpful staff. All the rooms are decorated differently which is a great feature. Quirky building which adds to the character. I was at the front which was quite noisy first thing in the morning as on a busy road. Plenty of free on street parking. Only ate breakfast but had the pancakes which were amazing.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are noisier because of traffic noise
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your lovely feedback on breakfast, our rooms & the hotel in general!

Very much appreciated. The team at the hotel are our core strength & it is great that you feel the same way, I will thank them all personally.

The amazing pancakes will be on the menu when you choose to visit us again, hopefully very soon.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Having read the reviews before staying Hotel Du Vin Glasgow I think this is the first time I've found the reviews on Trip advisor to be inaccurate. We were in Glasgow for a birthday party and booked into this hotel thinking it was 5 Star. We stayed in the Domaine Georges Vernay suite and found it to be very much on the tired side. The room has no air conditioning and was unbearably hot. The hotel agrees it is very hot and their solution is to give you fans, The heat is generated by the conservatory which is hot during the day and cold at night.

The room has a very dark stairway which lead down to an open bathroom, noise and smells permeate in your bedroom ….not my idea of luxury. The floor tiles in the bathroom are extremely stained because the tiles have lost their glaze and are now well past their replacement date. There's grouting missing at the bottom of the shower door. The radiator in the bathroom leaks constantly.

The room doesn't have a dressing table or dressing mirror and you have to dry your hair standing at the door as this is the only mirror in the room. It's very awkward holding the hairdryer as the cord doesn't quite reach.
The breakfast selection of cereals is basic. I ordered poached eggs and waited 30 minutes for them. There appeared to be only one waiter in the restaurant who was properly trained and he was very pleasant. When he wasn't around you always had to ask the others to take your plate away or go and find them if you wanted a top up of coffee.
The plus points. I phoned ahead and asked for a feather pillow and it was in the room when we arrived and the parking is good. You can usually find a space reasonably close. Overall I do not think this hotel is 5 stars.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank lesley h
Thank you for your recent review & feedback.

I am pleased that your requests on booking where in place for you arrival.

I am sorry that aspects of your room disappointed & that your breakfast was delayed, it is of great concern & we will continue to invest in the hotel & improve on the points you have highlighted.

We would be delighted to welcome you back & hope that you would choose to visit us again.

Please do contact me directly should you choose to return.

Jock in Brum
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

We had a three night break in this wonderful hotel, staying in their Domaine Georges Vernay suite.

While the bedroom was smaller than the other Grand Duplex (The Vetriano) we have stayed in, it has the most elegant conservatory sitting room with its own massive tv and three piece suite. Leading off from the conservatory is a small private terrace, perfect for smokers.

We travel a lot and struggle with the second rate service that seems to be the norm in many venues. This palce is like a breath of fresh air, and the quality of staff perfectly compliments the elegant, historic setting. David, the concierge, is worth his weight in gold and can be relied on to find a table or recommend an activity. Day or night there is always someone at hand to meet your needs: an extra bucket of ice, more drinks, a room service meal, or clean up after a spill.

The room service menu here is first rate and on the first evening, after a long trip, we snuggled up in the conservatory and indulged our gourmand tendancies. The smoked chickpea soup was yummy, a meal on its own, served with home made bread and creamy soft butter.

We will be back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jart_7
Thank you for your wonderful comments, delightful to read & I will pass on to all the team, particularly David, who is indeed worth his weight in gold & appreciated by us all, a delight to work with & a credit to Hotel du Vin Glasgow.

Fantastic to hear that you will be back to enjoy all the hotel & Glasgow has to offer, greatly value your comments & taking the time to praise the food & service in particular.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the layout & facilities in Domaine Georges Vernay. We have many more unique rooms for you to enjoy & look forward to looking after you again, hopefully very soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

My husband & I chose Hotel du Vin @ One Devonshire Gardens as our wedding venue and couldn't be happier with our choice. The day ran smoothly from start to finish & the staff were great. They were always there if needed but were almost invisible as you didn't even notice they were in the room! All our guests raved about the food served from canapés to the main meal & the buffet at night. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to have their wedding in Glasgow or even just to check it out for a night away. Absolutely perfect!

Stayed April 2014
Congratulations & thank you for choosing One Devonshire Gardens for your wedding day!

The whole team are delighted that all was perfect for you and your guests, it's what we love to do and thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

We all look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully on your anniversary or sooner.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

My new husband and myself stayed here recently on our honeymoon and both agreed it was the best hotel that we stayed at. The staff were so helpful and genuine, freely giving us many tips on the Glasgow area. We stayed in the Willi Ospritz room and were in heaven. The bath tub was awesome and the room was super comfortable. We enjoyed it so much, we decided to stay with their sister hotel in Edinburgh also.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Congratulations on your recent wedding!

Thank you for your fantastic comments about your stay with us & all the team at the hotel, very much appreciated.

We all look forward to welcoming you back!

Best regards,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

I have stayed at Hotel Du Vin in Glasgow three times now. The last room I stayed in was the Botham Merrill Willis room, gorgeous and lush, dark purples all around but my favourite room was the Tattinger room, i loved it's darkness, it is a lovely black and blue room with gorgeous, black and blue damask wallpaper. The bathrooms are black tiled and wallpaper with free standing baths and the bar/lounge is lovely and intimate and yes...dark lol just to my taste...i love it :) The staff are very friendly and helpful and as a vegan I can even eat there..the vegan mushroom tagliatelle is lovely, so good I could do with more on my plate :P

Room Tip: Well I love the darker rooms so the Tattinger room is lovely for me as is Botham Merrill Willis. If...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
GlasgowPolroger, General Manager at Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Thank you for your lovely review.

Delighted that you have enjoyed staying in so many of our individual rooms & the dark colour schemes. Many more wonderful rooms for you to sample which I am sure you will enjoy & we look forward to welcoming you back to One Devonshire Gardens.

I will also pass on your comments about the service to all the team, it's fantastic to be appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to comment & we will hopefully see you soon!