“Attention to detail?”

Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #16 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
“Attention to detail?”
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Firstly I must say I have stayed in numerous 4 and 5 star hotels in the uk over 20 years and my partner worked for Gleneagles in a management position so I feel we should be able to give a fair balanced review.

Check in was friendly and efficient. We were shown to our room and it was impressive. The receptionist also knew about the hotel's history. High spec decor and large room with a B&W ipod doc a good Samsung tv, bose sound system , nespresso coffee machine. Amazing bathroom with roll top bath and very large separate shower area with stainless steel base.
My only issue with the room was the bed was very firm and the double glazed window units were needing replaced as they had condensation in them. Handles were loose too. The remote control for the ipod doc did not work, we didn't report.
I found the prices of the minibar fair compared to other hotels.
We explored the hotel and it has amazing stained glass windows and real character. Decor complements the building and isnt in your face or OTT.
We went for a drink and were told there was no space for us and advised that we could sit in the small room next door (if there was space) which was the whisky lounge. Only space was either one of two sofas. These sofas were dirty, worn, uncomfortable and not what I would expect in a 5 star Hotel. Drinks were good and priced at what youd expect to pay in a hotel.
Breakfast. I thought the price was actually good/fair comparing with other hotels.
The continental buffet is not that big but good quality.
Out the window there was a view of a diy store, bins and a steel container! Again not what you would expect. Some plants or screening would be better.
The staff at breakfast were friendly but definitely lacked formal training. Another guest was asked 5 times if he wanted toast and his plate was removed before he'd actually finished eating. The noise of clattering plates, glasses and cutlery was very noticeable and distracting. There was a real lack of leadership and some staff looked scruffy wearing only a shirt and tie and another came into the bistro in a fleecy sweater. Quite a few staff conversations going on. Again not what I would expect.
Food was good as was the coffee!
We also noted in the foyer there were a lot of hired chairs that we assume were ready for uplift. Again not what youd expect. These should be uplifted from the rear or stored out of sight of guests until they are collected!
The hotel overall is a great place with good staff but I feel there was not enough attention to the finer details which you would expect from a 5* hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1DGManager, General Manager at Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback.
I am pleased to hear that overall you found the hotel to be a great place with good staff and in particular that your room was impressive, with staff being friendly and efficient at check in but disappointed that elements of your experience were lacking. We will look at these elements and continue to improve from your comments.

Thank you and I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel.

Craig Paton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Falkirk
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My husband and I stayed one night in the hotel and from start to finish we had a wonderful time. The hotel itself is beautiful and the original stain glass windows are real treasures. The hotel staff are exactly as you would expect in Glasgow, warm friendly and very helpful. We could not fault them in any way. We had the perfect evening, wine tasting in the wine cellar with Aldo the sommelier then dinner in the Bistro. Our wine tasting was excellent and Aldo was a wonderful host. This was the second time that we have dined in the Bistro and I can only describe the food as perfection! We will definitely return in the future. Thank you.

1 Thank JacAlFalkirk
1DGManager, General Manager at Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Thank you - perfection is high praise indeed!

I am proud that the food & service was enjoyed & appreciated by you both. I will thank Aldo in particular & all those who looked after you so well.

It is fantastic to read that you enjoyed your food, room, hospitality & general warmth of our team during your stay at the hotel. It is what we strive to achieve, every day.

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback as it is greatly valued and ensures we keep getting better at looking after all our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another perfect stay, very soon.

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

If you fancy a 19th century luxury home away from home, look no further. Huge rooms with high seelings. Wall to wall carpeting, wodden panels, a bathroom the size of a room in lesser hotels and wodden panels make this a very cozy hotel. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I did not try the bistro except for breakfast, but the bar has big sofas and chairs to relax in. I can highly recommend the hotel, I stayed in room Madfish and I only saw one other room, which also was as nice.

You need to be aware of a few things, to make sure they do not bother you:
- The hotel is in a fancy recidential area, so there is little else there. However a taxi to the crnter is quick and cheap.
- It is a lot of corridors and stairs, I did not see an elevator.
- At least my room had no airconditioning or even a vent, so you will need to keep a window open slightly. If your room is to the street tge isolation is not terribly good, so you will get some noice even with the windows closed. The thick velvet drapes take care of most of the noise, but not all.
- the breakfast buffet is quite small, but they do have a wide selection of delicious cooked dishes. The prices are quite high, so if you enjoy eating a big breakfast, make sure you get a tate were it is included.

All this said, I will most certainly stay here again on my next visit to Glasgow.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review, it is exactly what we try to achieve, every day!

The character of the hotel & the teams that look after you is our unique strength & I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay & will return.

Together, we will continue to improve the hotel & look after our valued guests.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed one night in April. Lovely hotel. Fabulous rooms and very helpful staff. All the rooms are decorated differently which is a great feature. Quirky building which adds to the character. I was at the front which was quite noisy first thing in the morning as on a busy road. Plenty of free on street parking. Only ate breakfast but had the pancakes which were amazing.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are noisier because of traffic noise
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your lovely feedback on breakfast, our rooms & the hotel in general!

Very much appreciated. The team at the hotel are our core strength & it is great that you feel the same way, I will thank them all personally.

The amazing pancakes will be on the menu when you choose to visit us again, hopefully very soon.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Having read the reviews before staying Hotel Du Vin Glasgow I think this is the first time I've found the reviews on Trip advisor to be inaccurate. We were in Glasgow for a birthday party and booked into this hotel thinking it was 5 Star. We stayed in the Domaine Georges Vernay suite and found it to be very much on the tired side. The room has no air conditioning and was unbearably hot. The hotel agrees it is very hot and their solution is to give you fans, The heat is generated by the conservatory which is hot during the day and cold at night.

The room has a very dark stairway which lead down to an open bathroom, noise and smells permeate in your bedroom ….not my idea of luxury. The floor tiles in the bathroom are extremely stained because the tiles have lost their glaze and are now well past their replacement date. There's grouting missing at the bottom of the shower door. The radiator in the bathroom leaks constantly.

The room doesn't have a dressing table or dressing mirror and you have to dry your hair standing at the door as this is the only mirror in the room. It's very awkward holding the hairdryer as the cord doesn't quite reach.
The breakfast selection of cereals is basic. I ordered poached eggs and waited 30 minutes for them. There appeared to be only one waiter in the restaurant who was properly trained and he was very pleasant. When he wasn't around you always had to ask the others to take your plate away or go and find them if you wanted a top up of coffee.
The plus points. I phoned ahead and asked for a feather pillow and it was in the room when we arrived and the parking is good. You can usually find a space reasonably close. Overall I do not think this hotel is 5 stars.

6 Thank lesley h
Thank you for your recent review & feedback.

I am pleased that your requests on booking where in place for you arrival.

I am sorry that aspects of your room disappointed & that your breakfast was delayed, it is of great concern & we will continue to invest in the hotel & improve on the points you have highlighted.

We would be delighted to welcome you back & hope that you would choose to visit us again.

Please do contact me directly should you choose to return.

Jock in Brum
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We had a three night break in this wonderful hotel, staying in their Domaine Georges Vernay suite.

While the bedroom was smaller than the other Grand Duplex (The Vetriano) we have stayed in, it has the most elegant conservatory sitting room with its own massive tv and three piece suite. Leading off from the conservatory is a small private terrace, perfect for smokers.

We travel a lot and struggle with the second rate service that seems to be the norm in many venues. This palce is like a breath of fresh air, and the quality of staff perfectly compliments the elegant, historic setting. David, the concierge, is worth his weight in gold and can be relied on to find a table or recommend an activity. Day or night there is always someone at hand to meet your needs: an extra bucket of ice, more drinks, a room service meal, or clean up after a spill.

The room service menu here is first rate and on the first evening, after a long trip, we snuggled up in the conservatory and indulged our gourmand tendancies. The smoked chickpea soup was yummy, a meal on its own, served with home made bread and creamy soft butter.

We will be back.

2 Thank Jart_7
Thank you for your wonderful comments, delightful to read & I will pass on to all the team, particularly David, who is indeed worth his weight in gold & appreciated by us all, a delight to work with & a credit to Hotel du Vin Glasgow.

Fantastic to hear that you will be back to enjoy all the hotel & Glasgow has to offer, greatly value your comments & taking the time to praise the food & service in particular.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the layout & facilities in Domaine Georges Vernay. We have many more unique rooms for you to enjoy & look forward to looking after you again, hopefully very soon.

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

My husband & I chose Hotel du Vin @ One Devonshire Gardens as our wedding venue and couldn't be happier with our choice. The day ran smoothly from start to finish & the staff were great. They were always there if needed but were almost invisible as you didn't even notice they were in the room! All our guests raved about the food served from canapés to the main meal & the buffet at night. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to have their wedding in Glasgow or even just to check it out for a night away. Absolutely perfect!

Stayed April 2014
Congratulations & thank you for choosing One Devonshire Gardens for your wedding day!

The whole team are delighted that all was perfect for you and your guests, it's what we love to do and thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

We all look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully on your anniversary or sooner.