“Perfect everytime”

Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #14 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
“Perfect everytime”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

From the warm welcome to the departure this is a class act. Staff are all wonderful and attentive - nothing is too much bother either for the conference facilities to the bedrooms. Forget the chain hotels and come here!

Room Tip: They are all lovely - can get hot though in the upper floors
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1DGManager, General Manager at Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thank you for your recent review and your particularly nice comments about our wonderful and attentive team. Very pleased thay you enjoyed the facilities on offer and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Craig Paton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Such a lovely hotel across 4 or 5 town houses in a fantastic area to visit Glasgow and beyond. Our rooms were great - cool decor and comfortable. The staff and overall service was excellent. We enjoyed a super Sunday lunch fixed price menu of 4 courses for £24.95 which was very good value. However ..... the decor is starting to look tired. The public loos were a bit dodgy. Furniture is well used and it could all do with a freshen up. This is the only thing I can say that isn't 100% positive and really didn't detract at all from our stay here.

Room Tip: Geoff Merrill - huge room with large sofa right at the top of hotel so really quiet. Booked it with...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1DGManager, General Manager at Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for your review. We are all very pleased that you enjoyed your room, Sunday lunch and excellent service from all the team. I will make sure that your comments about a revamp are followed up and that we consider how to make your next visit even better and improve the hotel.
Thank you for taking the time place your review and offer your thoughts, they are valued and appreciated.

I hope to see you return, very soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

On arrival to HDV we were welcomed with a wee dram of whiskey, then shown to the fabulous Suite with large lounge, private steam room and 'gym' (a rowing machine, some weights and a cross trainer). Staff were friendly and helpful. The suite itself was gorgeous - a truly luxurious and tastefully decorated place. The hotel is a few miles out of town but it was easy enough to get a cab there and back for only a tenner each time. There was an extensive room service menu and the order came very promptly. There was a lovely lounge and outside patio area downstairs in the main part of the hotel, which we did not really make much use of as we went into Glasgow the two nights that we stayed there. There is ample parking free parking on the road outside. Little niggles: the spa bath controls did not work too well, the bottle skip being filled on Monday morning waking us out of a deep sleep - hardly worth writing about! Our only regret is that we couldn't stay for longer. HDV Glasgow could teach HDV Brighton a thing or two about customer service. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Splash out for the fabulous suite.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We are all very pleased that you enjoyed your welcome dram & general hospitality. Your opinions will be shared with all the team and I will thank them for looking after you so well. I appreciate your wonderful comments about all the facilities we offer and your suite.

Thank you!

St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We booked this Hotel mainly based on Tripadvisor reviews and were not disappointed (once you ignore the patently spurious, mendacious and downright malicious reviews you can generally gain an impression of the truth). We required a Glasgow central venue, easy to get to and to park a few cars for a family get together with two octogenarian Aunts - we booked 'afternoon tea' for 9 (attendees, silly, not time!).

Well from arriving the day before to be greeted by Craig all was superb; the welcoming dram was a surprise as was the sheer overwhelming grandeur and antiquity of the five houses making up the Hotel (Americans can hardly fail to be impressed).

Can't rate the meals as we ventured into Glasgow central and found a superb Indian Buffet (http://bombaybluesglasgow.com/) and for breakfast you would be hard pressed to beat the Hyndland cafe (http://www.thehyndlandcafe.com) - frankly for what the Hotel charge for one breakfast you can totally stuff two people and have change over! That does not take anything away from the hotel as that is a totally different business.

Our room (Marques de Caceres) was superb - maybe an over-abundance of bed cushions but we accept that some travellers weight this as a plus point. Can't fault anything really as it is an old building so there are natural constraints - we would rather have period fitments like sash windows than hermetically sealed triple glazing. I-pod dock, Bose sound system and over-large TV were all present as was an up-to-date coffee maker and standard kettle - note, real milk is in the fridge don't look for those horrible chemical sachets.

Our little soiree for afternoon tea for nine was well handled; we were given the 'Whisky Room' to ourselves ... and we stayed there for over three hours with no hint of being throw out! Any amount of coffee/tea refills were available to augment the frankly over-abundance of cakes/biscuits provided - indeed we took away five 'doggy-bags of leftovers.

So - if you wish a bit of pampering in the bedroom (great monsoon shower) a touch of old style luxury and nearby eateries for the basics then you can't beat this Hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1DGManager, General Manager at Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Thank you for your recent review.

I will thank the entire team as they deserve the praise and collectively we will make your next stay even more enjoyable.

We are so very pleased that you appreciated One Devonshire Gardens for what it is and the service that the team delivered.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I have a real soft spot for One Devonshire having stayed there a few times. It's also in the best part of Glasgow - near the West End. The staff at the hotel really make the stay and couldn't do more for you. And it's nice not to stay in an identi-kit hotel. It oozes charm. However, I'm not sure it's really five star and it seems to be showing its age. There were quite a few scuffs and scrapes in our bedroom. The bed - whilst a gorgeous 4 poster - wasn't that comfortable. We stayed five nights and didn't really have a great nights sleep all week. Little things drove me crazy like one miserly bar of soap...a disgraceful continental breakfast selection (par-baked French loaf....really chef?!?)...lonnnngggggggg wait for a cooked breakfast....untidy reception area with lots of notes and office paraphernalia lying around...Radio 2 blaring out in the breakfast room...TV with a wonky arial that cut out the reception every 2 minutes...dodgy shower door...staff who clearly rolled out of bed without ironing their shirts. Maybe I have OCD when it comes to these things but if you set out to be the best - the little details make all the difference. That said - I don't think I've met friendlier hotel staff. On balance though I wouldn't stay here again.

2 Thank Fiona D
Thank you for your review and lovely comments about our friendly staff that could not do more for you and made your stay.

The team are what makes the hotel so special and rest assured we listen to our guests and will continue to improve our facilities.

Thank you and the entire team hope that you do choose to visit us again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My husband and I arrived from London around 8:00 a.m. and my husband had to dash to his business meeting. In the meantime i checked in all by myself. I was greeted by David the concierge and he has been most helpful. He checked me into my bedroom which turned out to be majestic, stylish, roomy with high ceilings, canopy bed, (Victorian, period type) with a stylish en-suite modernized large airy and bright bathroom with a shower and Victorian bathtub and sink. The front desk staff were very efficient in booking my daily tours of Scotland and got me a very good personalized tours with a small tour agent called 'Rabbies'. The front desk staff were also very prompt in getting me cabs to transfer me back and forth. It is noteworthy that when I happened to forget my camera memory card back home, David the concierge did not hesitate to immediately go out and buy me a new one to enable me to take photos on my very much anticipated day tour of Scotland and its magnificent castles the following day. The food at the Michelin Star Restaurant based in this hotel was mouth watering, an amazing culinary experience, it was so good that we opted to stay in 2 nights in a row and eat at this lovely cozy romantic and classy restaurant. The breakfast at this hotel was also excellent, the Haggis with duck eggs was so scrumptious as well as their homemade bread. The staff bent backwards and forwards, went of their way, when my husband was unable to get his car hire in order, they helped us find other alternatives to take us to Fort Williams. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to my friends and family and will definitely stay there again should i ever come back to Glasgow. Last year we stayed in Crowne Plaza and it was not such a great experience. In our opinion Crowne Plaza was way too prefabricated, too commercial and impersonal, that's why we never went back again this year.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your wonderful review of the hotel and the team of staff who looked after you, I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay and we all look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Firstly I must say I have stayed in numerous 4 and 5 star hotels in the uk over 20 years and my partner worked for Gleneagles in a management position so I feel we should be able to give a fair balanced review.

Check in was friendly and efficient. We were shown to our room and it was impressive. The receptionist also knew about the hotel's history. High spec decor and large room with a B&W ipod doc a good Samsung tv, bose sound system , nespresso coffee machine. Amazing bathroom with roll top bath and very large separate shower area with stainless steel base.
My only issue with the room was the bed was very firm and the double glazed window units were needing replaced as they had condensation in them. Handles were loose too. The remote control for the ipod doc did not work, we didn't report.
I found the prices of the minibar fair compared to other hotels.
We explored the hotel and it has amazing stained glass windows and real character. Decor complements the building and isnt in your face or OTT.
We went for a drink and were told there was no space for us and advised that we could sit in the small room next door (if there was space) which was the whisky lounge. Only space was either one of two sofas. These sofas were dirty, worn, uncomfortable and not what I would expect in a 5 star Hotel. Drinks were good and priced at what youd expect to pay in a hotel.
Breakfast. I thought the price was actually good/fair comparing with other hotels.
The continental buffet is not that big but good quality.
Out the window there was a view of a diy store, bins and a steel container! Again not what you would expect. Some plants or screening would be better.
The staff at breakfast were friendly but definitely lacked formal training. Another guest was asked 5 times if he wanted toast and his plate was removed before he'd actually finished eating. The noise of clattering plates, glasses and cutlery was very noticeable and distracting. There was a real lack of leadership and some staff looked scruffy wearing only a shirt and tie and another came into the bistro in a fleecy sweater. Quite a few staff conversations going on. Again not what I would expect.
Food was good as was the coffee!
We also noted in the foyer there were a lot of hired chairs that we assume were ready for uplift. Again not what youd expect. These should be uplifted from the rear or stored out of sight of guests until they are collected!
The hotel overall is a great place with good staff but I feel there was not enough attention to the finer details which you would expect from a 5* hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback.
I am pleased to hear that overall you found the hotel to be a great place with good staff and in particular that your room was impressive, with staff being friendly and efficient at check in but disappointed that elements of your experience were lacking. We will look at these elements and continue to improve from your comments.

Thank you and I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel.