“Wonderful Experience”

Ranked #15 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I would like to thank the staff at Devonshire Gardens for making our visit this weekend so pleasurable that we cannot wait to return. It is such a beautiful hotel, the area, setting and the building itself and deserves to be treated with so much respect, which it was. The tasting menu with the accompanying wine was superb. When you get such good service it makes you enjoy the destination so much and we cannot wait to return. Thank you Devonshire Gardens.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elaine C
1DGManager, General Manager at Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you Elaine for taking the time to place your review and choosing to return and visit us again.

It is wonderful to read about your experience and I will thank all those involved as all the teams work very hard to achieve such good service and when we get it right and to be thanked for it makes a huge difference to all those involved, so thank you very much.

We look forward to welcoming you both back to One Devonshire Gardens.

Craig Paton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Santa Monica
Reviewed 4 July 2014

In my opinion felt it fell short of its 5 star rating. Its a charming hotel in converted town houses and has so much more potential, but I felt as though I was staying in a Hilton or Marriott vs. the boutique hotel it wants to be at that rate. Some of the staff was exemplary, others just off the mark.

The room, which was spacious, clean and nicely decorated, with a huge bathroom, but the room had some problems like a strong chemical odor that either came from new carpet or paint or something in the room we couldn't pinpoint. We actually had to leave the window open for fresh air. Also, the mattress was very uncomfortable, it felt like we were sleeping on a box spring vs. a mattress. You could actually feel the individual springs in the bed. We had to pad the mattress with additional duvet covers. We asked to change to another room, but nothing else comparable was available. My daughter used the sofa bed (£20 charge) for one night, which I actually had to make up myself. There was no turndown.The next day before breakfast, we requested that housekeeping make up the room in the morning to add duvet padding to the mattress, they didn't show up until after we returned at 2:30-3pm. Then the maid actually asked us to leave until the room was made up, then forgot to add the requested mattress padding. That was unacceptable.

The night prior to our departure I notified reception that I had an early flight to catch and needed a porter on time. The porter did not show up on time despite my calling reception again in the morning. I ended up having to carry two bags down flights of stairs myself and actually help load them in the taxi.

There were a few bright spots. The reception desk was very helpful. The restaurant staff was excellent. Breakfast and the Sunday roast were perfect. The young porter we encountered at check-in was hard working and very courteous.

I just expected more comfort than just mediocrity at these rates. Despite my post check out call to reception I don't think management actually realized how uncomfortable we were during our stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TVZoom
1DGManager, General Manager at Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review.

Thank your for your balanced review of your stay with us and I am very sorry that in some aspects we fell short of your expectations and our own standards.

Your very reasonable concerns were subsequently passed to the management team and are being addressed, however I accept that after the event this is of little consolation to you and your family.

We have done well in some areas but let ourselves down in others and I will work with all the teams involved to learn and improve from your constructive comments.

Please contact me directly if you choose to return and hopefully you will give the me the opportunity to redeem our reputation during a future stay.

Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I have previously reviewed One Devonshire Gardens before and we decided to treat ourselves for our Anniversary and return. One Devonshire Gardens is actually 5 old sandstone houses combined to make a beautiful and luxurious hotel with quirky rooms and corridors. The staff here are absolutely top notch from front of house to the staff at breakfast they are wonderful.

I booked an upgraded room and it was absolutely out of this world good considering it wasn’t a top grade upgrade I went for:

Being a very old hotel the rooms dont have aircon and on this unusually hot Glasgow day the room was very warm. I cant fault the hotel there was a fan already provided in the room and to be fair living in Glasgow doesnt warrant air con! One complaint I did have was the mattress, this wasnt just firm but like sleeping on a cobbled street, it really could do with being changed.

We also had the chance to sit outside in the lovely courtyard and enjoy a few drinks in the sunshine. We did notice another outdoor area that was larger and more exposed to the sun but this apparently is only open for weddings/functions which is a little bit of a shame.

Thats twice we have stayed at One Devonshire even thought its barely a 20 minutes from where we live but on both occasions its been entirely special and worth while.

Room Tip: If you are having an occasion make sure and mention when booking you may get an upgrade or a present
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ScottGlasgow
Thank you for choosing to return and stay with us again for your anniversary treat. Delighted that you found the staff to be wonderful and you enjoyed the upgrade you had booked. The outside courtyard areas have recently been refurbished & and we will continue to upgrade facilities within the hotel. When you next choose to return please do mention your mattress preference so that we can have this in place for you.

Thanks for your comments and visiting us again, very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Congleton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

First of all, a fantastic hotel, the problem was the heat, you can have a fan no problem but they only have a certain amount of portable AC units.
Not a massive problem but when you are spending the thick end of £200 a night you don't expect to be sweaty. They did show us a room on the floor below but was just as hot but smaller.
That said the service was outstanding from the check in to the porter (Garry I think) went above & beyond his duties, the breakfast staff were amazing in fact every member of staff we came across were very professional. Would we stay again? 100% but not in the summer.

Room Tip: I think they are all to a really good standard but if its hot a portable AC unit is a must.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steve10322
1DGManager, General Manager at Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for your posting your recent feedback on your stay with us.

Firstly, I am delighted that your experience of the hotel was a fantastic one. To read such lovely comments about the team of individuals that looked after you gives me great pleasure as they are the heart and soul of our hotel.

Secondly, I am disappointed that we didn't manage to achieve a perfect stay for you. Your constructive comments are very much appreciated and taken in the context given. It is very important that we listen to how we can improve your experience and we will work to make your next stay perfect.

The whole team look forward to welcoming you back. Thank you for your support!
We always have work to do and we understand that.

Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

we stayed here for one night and its got a feel of a bygone era,with all the mod cons
large luxurious rooms and bathrooms, decorated in a classic style, good service and a great history. the restaraunt was good bu i think you could get better food elsewhere. but the rooms are amazing

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your recent review.

Delighted that you enjoyed your stay and the service from the team and hope you choose to visit us again. We have many more amazing rooms for you to enjoy!

Your opinion is greatly valued and I thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

We stayed overnight on their Sunday night deal - spend over a certain amount in the bistro and get the room for £25. We were able to park right outside the front door and were welcomed at reception with a glass of whisky, a good start! Our room was lovely, our bathroom could open out into the bedroom allowing one to lie in the bath and look out of the large bedroom windows. The hotel is in a beautiful old building with wonderful, huge stain glass windows. Our visit to the bar and bistro were both very enjoyable and the staff very helpful and friendly. When we told reception that we were flying out from Glasgow airport on the Monday afternoon, they said not to worry about check out time and just to leave when we were ready to leave for the airport, this was much appreciated!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Margaret O
1DGManager, General Manager at Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel.
Great that you enjoyed the offer, your room and the service from the teams.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This is my 2nd experience of a du Vin hotel and I loved it! The location is about a 10-15 minute taxi ride away from the city centre which may not be ideal for everyone but we thought it was beautiful. We stayed in the Graham Beck room and all we could see out the 2 windows were beautiful trees and buildings. The hotel is made up of 5 houses and it can be a little confusing finding your way round - we did get lost and have to ask for directions twice! Our room was large, beautifully furnished and very comfortable with a huge TV and big squashy bed. Bathroom was spacious with plenty of towels and lovely toiletries. The bar was a delight but we didn't try the restaurant. Lastly, the staff were really friendly and welcoming. We were pleasantly surprised by our final bill after several drinks at the bar and in our room. My 2 experiences of du Vin hotels would definitely encourage me to actively look for another one wherever I happen to visit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1DGManager, General Manager at Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Thank you for your recent review.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at One Devonshire Gardens and found the experience charming and quirky. I will pass on your comments about the friendly welcome you received from the staff during your stay and I am glad that you found the pricing good value.

We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us.