“Nice enough hotel but depressing decor”

Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #16 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 16 June 2009

We stayed for a long weekend in May. Hotel was pleasant enough but not as special as we were expecting especially the decor. We stayed in a room with dark blue walls, black furniture & black carpet which made it really gloomy & not a room we wanted to linger in. Whoever chose this decor must be mad as it doesn't make the most of the lovely proportions of the Victorian building (although all the rooms are different so some may be enjoy lighter decor - but the first room we were offered had the same dark decor). We wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,505)

Reviewed 14 June 2009

I stay @ HDV @ One Devonshire Gardens probably 1 - 2 times a month on both business & leisure. It has to be the most comfortable "home from home" hotel I know.

Attention to detail is 1st class with service exceptional throughout the hotel.

Gary Sanderson, GM runs a very efficient & happy team of staff in my view. Also Graham, Restaurant Manager with his team are great especially Erin who always has a nice cheery smile on her face.

Although HDV offer great deals for staying it is expensive overall but in my opinion worth every penny and basically you get what you pay for.

I would not stay anywhere else in Glasgow.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2009

I stayed over for one night while my husband was in the nearby Nuffield hospital. The hotel is within walking distance of the hospital.

Beautiful hotel in a lovely tree lined street, wasnt quite sure where reception was. Upon arrival, there was no doorman to assist and no offer of a wee refreshment (offered to other guests).

The reception staff were polite and friendly, I had an uncomfortable ten minute wait in reception to be shown my room - they guided me to one of the chairs opposite the reception desks rather than the more hospitable drawing room adjacent.

One of the receptionists showed me to my room in House 5, Taittinger - the door was unlocked when we arrived and she joked about it being the ghost - not the best thing to tell a lone female traveller who has been posted to the furthest away corner at the top of the hotel!

The room was sumptiously decorated, well equipped with a nice bathroom. The bathroom toiletries are very nice and they encourage you to take them home (well its hardly very ecologically friendly to use a little bit of shampoo and then leave the rest of the bottle).

The bed was comfy, the room service menu at dinner time didnt have the best of choice - the 11pm onwards menu seemed more suited to dinner. The wine was resonably priced.

The mini bar was not fully stocked when I arrived, however a telephone call to reception soon fixed that - I was however perplexed to find there was no red wine available in the mini bar - probably just as well, not having the grumpy one to share it with, it hardly seemed fair to raid the mini bar!!!

Nice coffee provided, just as well - the room rate I had, did not include breakfast.

The only other issue I had, was when I phoned the hotel for availabilty they told me the best room rate they could give was £205, I got it booked on late rooms for £99, there were also cheaper room rates on their website - OH and I didnt bump into the X-factor judges, but I cant really blame the hotel for that, I didnt know they were staying there until the next day when it was in the paper!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2009

My wife and I travelled from Forfar to One Devonshire Gardens, Glasgow, to celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary. The hotel, staff, food and ambience was first class. We stayed in the 'Ruinart' room, which had its' very own little sun terrace, (where we kept our wine). It was such a lovely room with lots of light and a comfortable bed, although the pillows were not too comfy I mst say, being used to the memory foam pillows this was the only smallest of blimps. we could not rate as first class. Robert the doorman/porter was fantastic, thanks for looking after our car Robert !! This hotel is rated number one on Tripadvisor and it deserves its' title. We enjoyed a lovely relaxing break and thanks go out to all of the staff - 'thank you' so very much. We WILL be back.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2009

I had the opportunity to stay for only one night, but it was very comfortable. The food at dinner was great, the staff was helpful and effecient. Although the hotel was fully booked we didn't hear a sound all night. My only slight problem with the hotel is the lack of lighting in the guest rooms, it seemed a little gloomy even though it was quite bright outside. Having said that, I would stll happily stay again, and very much hope to do so!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Just back from a night at One Devonshire Gardens and I was disappointed. Although the hotel itself is very nice and the service was excellent, it was over priced and lacking in atmosphere. The room we stayed in was lovely but the bed was very uncomfortable with the worst pillows I've ever slept on. We had dinner in the hotel and I did enjoy it, but the menu wasn't great. I had booked a dinner, bed and breakfast deal on the hotel website but on checking out this morning I found that it wasn't actually dinner, it was a contribution towards dinner and I still had the majority of it to pay, there was also a service charge added to my bill which for a table of 2 seemed unreasonable. I'd go back, but only if I could find a cheaper room only deal, I'd eat elsewhere next time

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2009

Stayed for 2 nights in the Marques de Carceras room. Lovely decor, and as stated by other reviewers, top quality electronics, also the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. There was a bath but I'd have preferred one with taps in the middle, nice toiletries, as there should be for the price, but while tea and coffee were provided a nice touch might have been a few extras like some biscuits and/or fruit. We didn't eat dinner but breakfast was excellent, a lovely selection of fresh fruit, cereal and pastries and the hot breakfast cooked to order. Though it was a bit haphazard on the first morning, no sugar or teaspoons on the table and no toast offered.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple