“Lovely room & great food!”

Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #14 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
froth007
“Lovely room & great food!”
Reviewed 22 April 2010

We were on our way to Islay and spent one night at the Hotel du Vin. It was just supposed to be a sort of stoppover before we go to Islay but we enjoyed our stay so much we thought we could come back for a whole week end next time.

The rooms are spacious and luxuriously decorated. Ours was dramatic and theatrical in a way with black wallpaper. It felt luxurious and comfortable. We were impressed with our room but even more so with the bar. We had a late dinner at the restaurant side of the bar (the restaurant was fully booked). I was supposed to be a simple meal but we were really surprised by the quality. The wine accompanying our meal was a really enjoyable French wine (Languedoc). The bar staff was really nice and had a really good chat with us. It all felt incredibly comfortable as if we had entered a private club. I would really recommend this place both as a hotel or just as a place to eat/drink.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank froth007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
london
Reviewed 17 April 2010

I stayed here in the past when it was just One Devonshire Gardens and it was the best hotel in Glasgow and one of the best in the world. I am fortunate to stay in lots of good hotels and so have grown to find Hotel du Vin a bit too predictable and so was sorry to see them take it over. However, on balance it has improved. The building has been restructured a bit and is better for it and the restaurant has become less formal, but still outstanding and far above the average Hotel du Vin formula.

It is refined and tasteful but distinct and at it's best, dramatic, which my room certainly was, but without any gimmicks.

If I had to generalise I would say the staff are the best I have come across and they genuinely do improve the pleasure of staying here. But I've only rated service as 4 of 5, because of the following - I ordered some room service food. Poached salmon. That seemed simple enough. I was told it would be with me in 20 mins, which seemed reasonable. It took an hour and a quarter. I was told it was because they had to poach the salmon. There are two things wrong with this - firstly, if that were the case I wonder why they told me it would take 20 mins, and secondly, and more fundamentally, it takes about 10 mins to poach a single serving of salmon. This was a silly, disappointing little lie. It is a shame, as I would have forgiven an honest explanation, and let it pass.

The internet service is hopeless too, but that's true of all hotels.

The location is in a great area of Glasgow and if you don't need to go into the center it is perfect.

I can't praise it highly enough. It can also be staggeringly good value, which doesn't mean cheap. I paid the same to stay here as I could have done in some bland, multinational executive chain hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
glasgow
Reviewed 12 April 2010

Wow I stayed at the Hotel Du Vin with my very picky hubby he could not find 1 thing to moan about during our stay. The room was stunning the glass sliding doors that open the bathroom into the bedroom are a fantastic and very sexy addition to the room (dont worry not the toilet). The bed was huge and very comfy the dark rich decor make the rooms perfect for a romantic night away. We ate in the resturant part of a dinner B&B deal the food was very good the service was excellent but the resturant its self a little strange it consists of lots of little interconected rooms with tables in them it was mother day when we stayed the resturant was very busy but this made no reflection on the time we waited the service was excellent. Breakfast was fantastic too and I would recomend this hotel for a romantic night in Glasgow

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Fife
Reviewed 26 March 2010

We had wanted to stay in this hotel for a number of years but its just not central enough for our normal needs. However we had a function in the West End so booked this accommodation through Laterooms (and were very surprised that Reception gave us a complimentary room upgrade at checkin). As it happens the function was cancelled so we decided to stay in and try the restaurant - and so glad we did! The chateaubriand was outstanding. The somelier recommended a good (but not extravagantly priced) bottle of wine to compliment it.
Our room was stunning - dark brown/metallic greens, with smalling dressing area and large bath. Complimentary toiletries were good sized bottles of Arran Aromatics, rather than tiny one-use miniatures.
We didnt have breakfast as we were still full from dinner.
Would thoroughy recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Surrey
Reviewed 16 March 2010

I dont normally write reviews but myself and my husband have been staying in this hotel since our wedding in 2006. I have stayed in all room types from standard room, to suite to the penthouse for New Year last year and we are back again this year for Christmas. I have stayed in The Berkeley (London), The Atlantis the Palm (Dubai), Plaza Athenee (Paris) and I have still to find a hotel that does a better breakfast than 1 Devonshire Gardens. I cant wait until Christmas this year - and I hope that you all have a great stay.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 5 March 2010

I booked 2 nights in One Devonshire Gardens as a surprise early anniversary getaway for us before our baby was due.

Jo Cork helped me select the right grade of room and one that would provide the hard sought wow factor for my husband. Every aspect of our stay impressed him from the modern sumptuous decor and the beautiful meal to the staff which were attentive and efficient without obtrusion. We wouldn't hesitate to book a suite in the future and look forward to seeing what amazing room we are put in next time.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Lancashire
Reviewed 21 February 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel last week for 3 nights...
From the moment we walked into the hotel our stay was fantastic, the check in was fast and efficient, we were helped with our luggage, shown round our room.

Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The bed was lovely and comfy. I only booked the room up from the standard room, it had the monsoon shower and deep marble surround bath, big comfy chairs by the window - for the money it was lovely.

We stayed on a b&b basis - the breakfast was delicious, lots of fresh fruit, yoghurts, cereals, pastries the usual - you help yourself to all that and then also have the option of ordering something hot...
The cooked breakfast menu is also really good, plenty of choice. My only complaint is that the cooked breakfast did seem to take a long time to arrive, I waited about 20 minutes for an omlette. Apart from that it was lovely.

We only ate lunch in the hotel on one day, we ate that in the bar area - it was delicious, the service was good and good value money.

The location of the hotel is good, its a 5-10 minute ride into the centre of Glasgow, but I preferred it that way as it meant that you could have the window open in your room at night and not be disturbed by city noise. It was really peaceful.

Overall our stay was wonderful, very relaxing hotel, with excellent service. We loved sitting in the whiskey snug or the bar at night, the open fires and all the candles really set the mood.

I recommend going to the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum - that was really good!

Also there is a little cafe about a ten minute walk from the hotel called Jelly Hil, we went there one afternoon when walking back from the museum - really nice little place, nice cakes and coffee.

Also recommend a Japanese restaurant called Wudon in the West End- fantastic food, lovely friendly little place!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple