“Beautiful classy old world hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #15 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Dunoon, United Kingdom
“Beautiful classy old world hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2010

This hotel is definately luxury. The Hotel is made up of 5 different houses which is quite confusing to find some rooms but on the upside every room you pass through has some charm of its own including a cigar room and the whisky room with every bottle I could possibly name. The beds are so comfortable and spacious with each room a different colour ours was burgundy and black with beautiful drapes above the bed, The bathroom was done in black marble and wood the bath the deepest I have ever been in also a shower and a candle just to round off the romantic theme. The room has coffee/tea facilities and a mini bar plus room service available till 6am. Dressing gowns are supplied with the usual toiletries.
We did not have an evening meal as it was a wedding but if this meal was an example it was super a perfectly cooked fillet steak. The breakfast is superb full cooked breakfast,smoked salmon,waffles,fresh fruit,cereal everything I can think of.
I only have one little complaint that the breakfast staff seemed very harrassed and not too eager to please having to ask for a table setting and also an order of toast which never did arrive which you expect at this class of hotel.
The location is central for every part of Glasgow a couple of minutes walk and you are at the Botanic Gardens and Byres road a haven of unique shops further down the street you have the Glasgow art museum the Transport museum and Glasgow university, a short taxi ride and you can go to the SECC where most of the big concerts are held and which you might have the chance to bump into as several of the stars and bands stay at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank baleno

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Newquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2010

Had a great stay here on a Sunday night with a meal included in the deal, the room and the meal was first class. Highly recommended...

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
froth007
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2010

We were on our way to Islay and spent one night at the Hotel du Vin. It was just supposed to be a sort of stoppover before we go to Islay but we enjoyed our stay so much we thought we could come back for a whole week end next time.

The rooms are spacious and luxuriously decorated. Ours was dramatic and theatrical in a way with black wallpaper. It felt luxurious and comfortable. We were impressed with our room but even more so with the bar. We had a late dinner at the restaurant side of the bar (the restaurant was fully booked). I was supposed to be a simple meal but we were really surprised by the quality. The wine accompanying our meal was a really enjoyable French wine (Languedoc). The bar staff was really nice and had a really good chat with us. It all felt incredibly comfortable as if we had entered a private club. I would really recommend this place both as a hotel or just as a place to eat/drink.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank froth007
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2010

I stayed here in the past when it was just One Devonshire Gardens and it was the best hotel in Glasgow and one of the best in the world. I am fortunate to stay in lots of good hotels and so have grown to find Hotel du Vin a bit too predictable and so was sorry to see them take it over. However, on balance it has improved. The building has been restructured a bit and is better for it and the restaurant has become less formal, but still outstanding and far above the average Hotel du Vin formula.

It is refined and tasteful but distinct and at it's best, dramatic, which my room certainly was, but without any gimmicks.

If I had to generalise I would say the staff are the best I have come across and they genuinely do improve the pleasure of staying here. But I've only rated service as 4 of 5, because of the following - I ordered some room service food. Poached salmon. That seemed simple enough. I was told it would be with me in 20 mins, which seemed reasonable. It took an hour and a quarter. I was told it was because they had to poach the salmon. There are two things wrong with this - firstly, if that were the case I wonder why they told me it would take 20 mins, and secondly, and more fundamentally, it takes about 10 mins to poach a single serving of salmon. This was a silly, disappointing little lie. It is a shame, as I would have forgiven an honest explanation, and let it pass.

The internet service is hopeless too, but that's true of all hotels.

The location is in a great area of Glasgow and if you don't need to go into the center it is perfect.

I can't praise it highly enough. It can also be staggeringly good value, which doesn't mean cheap. I paid the same to stay here as I could have done in some bland, multinational executive chain hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2010

Wow I stayed at the Hotel Du Vin with my very picky hubby he could not find 1 thing to moan about during our stay. The room was stunning the glass sliding doors that open the bathroom into the bedroom are a fantastic and very sexy addition to the room (dont worry not the toilet). The bed was huge and very comfy the dark rich decor make the rooms perfect for a romantic night away. We ate in the resturant part of a dinner B&B deal the food was very good the service was excellent but the resturant its self a little strange it consists of lots of little interconected rooms with tables in them it was mother day when we stayed the resturant was very busy but this made no reflection on the time we waited the service was excellent. Breakfast was fantastic too and I would recomend this hotel for a romantic night in Glasgow

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Fife
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2010

We had wanted to stay in this hotel for a number of years but its just not central enough for our normal needs. However we had a function in the West End so booked this accommodation through Laterooms (and were very surprised that Reception gave us a complimentary room upgrade at checkin). As it happens the function was cancelled so we decided to stay in and try the restaurant - and so glad we did! The chateaubriand was outstanding. The somelier recommended a good (but not extravagantly priced) bottle of wine to compliment it.
Our room was stunning - dark brown/metallic greens, with smalling dressing area and large bath. Complimentary toiletries were good sized bottles of Arran Aromatics, rather than tiny one-use miniatures.
We didnt have breakfast as we were still full from dinner.
Would thoroughy recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2010

I dont normally write reviews but myself and my husband have been staying in this hotel since our wedding in 2006. I have stayed in all room types from standard room, to suite to the penthouse for New Year last year and we are back again this year for Christmas. I have stayed in The Berkeley (London), The Atlantis the Palm (Dubai), Plaza Athenee (Paris) and I have still to find a hotel that does a better breakfast than 1 Devonshire Gardens. I cant wait until Christmas this year - and I hope that you all have a great stay.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple