“We will be going back!”

Ranked #17 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Houston, Texas
“We will be going back!”
Reviewed 23 August 2010

As a treat for our tenth wedding anniversary my husband and I decided to treat ourselves to a luxury gastro treat for two! We started our weekend break at Gleneagles and then travelled south to Hotel du Vin. Having read so many good things about this lovely hotel I was worried about whether it would live up to the decadent standarts we had just left behind.
I need not have worried.
We were greeted at the door by a delightfully friendly kilted gent who took our bags, got us settled at reception and geefully informed us that we had been upgraded ( Gleneagles certainly didnt do this!!). OUr room was ready despite us arriving almost 2 hours before check-in and he took us up to the Front facing room. Four poster bed, seperate bath and shower, all audio mod cons you could only dream of ( a Bang and Olufsen TV no less) and toiletries you are encouraged to take home. They were divine and so I did!
We rested a while and then went down to the bar for afternoon tea....delish!
After a jaunt round Glasgow and a swim in the enormous bath we returned to the Bar to start our dinner. As two foodies, and having eaten in lovely places around the world...and having eaten at the Andrew Fairlie the night before we were not disappointed! The pre-dinner cocktails were sublime, the wine, different with every course of their 5 course taster menu, was exquisite and the choice of whiskey after as a night cap was bliss!
I cannot wait to go back.
They certainly gave Gleneagles a run for their money, they were more VFM and I slept like a log in the comfy and not over warm room.
Whether visiting for a longer stay or over nighter as we did enjoy, its a delight!

1 Thank Jen_Aberdeen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Bristol
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Pretty much everyone has listed all the great things about ths hotel, so I'm generally going to say ditto and limit myself to the things I haven't seen mentioned here.

The staff are great - efficient, helpful, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. When we asked the waiter at breakfast abut a particular museum not only did he immediately tell us about a great exhibition that was on there but also went and got us the opening times. The helpful man on the door in tartan trues spotted us hesitating on the steps and referred us to some excellent pubs and curry restaurants. The sommelier (do you have sommeliers for whisky??) was very helpful in assisting a novice to navigate the whisky menu, which was about the length of a short novel. The suggestions of both were bang on too! The girl on reception found me the safety pin I asked for in abut twenty seconds even though she had to run upstairs for it for me. I know some people like to have staff kowtowing to them, but I really don't and I thought everyone trod the line bewteen service and friendliness really well.

I've never had haggis and duck eggs for breakfast before, and I think I'd have a heart attack if I tried it too often, but for a one-off treat it was sensational! Breakfast overall was stupendous with gorgeously attired tables.

The rooms and common areas are lovely. I like cushions and cushions they have a plenty. Iwasn't sure about the portraits of wine bottles, but it goes with the theme. I like the subtle Scottishness of the place - not too tartan, if you know what I mean.

My only tiny wee niggle was that the bedroom (the Geoff something room - bathtub in the window alcove, lovely!) was very hot at night which meant that I found it difficult to sleep. But that's down to personal taste - my OH slept like a baby.

I hope we'll be back.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2010

As a regular at this hotel now for over 20 years for both business and pleasure I have never been disappopinted and the combination of large rooms, great food and being only a 10 min walk from the West End suits me perfectly. I have found the General Manager and the Restaurant Manager unusually helpful and compared to bigger hotels which I stay in and there is a personal touch and friendliness which is really hard to beat.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2010

We stayed here for 2 nights and I have to say we had a fantastic time. The staff are incredibly friendly and welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. Food in the Bistro for dinner was outstanding as was the service and the breakfast is a must. Our room was well appointed and it felt very luxurious but not over done. Concierge and reception were very knowledgeable about the City and pointed us in the right direction of all the things to see and do in 2 days and this ended our holiday to Scotland off on the right note.
The only slight negative would be that we had to wait 20 mins for 2 drinks but the bar staff did apologise for the delay and then gave us a tour of the whisky bar and it's content.
We have stayed in many hotels and have to say that this is one of the best to date made very special by the friendly, unpretentious staff we look forward to returning on our next trip to Glasgow.

lancashire
Reviewed 14 August 2010

The hotel was booked for us by business associates in Glasgow knowing we are hoteliers ourselves. We were immediately impressed by the stylish transformation of this block of terraced Victorian houses into a stylish hotel. We were greeted by Emma on reception who took delight in showing us a variety of room types available for us to choose from. Our room was spacious, the bed amazing, so comfortable. The room amenities are excellent with every comfort thought of.
Even though the hotel is situated on a busy road the noise didn't disturb us at all,
We had a meal in the restaurant and enjoyed the food although it was expensive, a treat meal, rather than somewhere you could eat every night during your stay, although their are special deals available. The breakfast is delicious and if your not in a hurry, enjoy the morning sunshine streaming through the large windows of the dining room whilst reading the daily newspapers provided.
We enjoyed our stay so much we stayed an extra night and returned the following week. We received the same friendly welcome and were delighted with the room Emma picked out for us.
We found plenty of parking available and on exploring the area stumbled across a great Italian Restaurant a short walk away, 200yards down the Great Western Road heading away from the centre.
This hotel will be our first choice when visiting Glasgow.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2010

My Wife and I booked for three nights city break but only stayed only two, a total waste of time for us, a big let down after reading so much about the place, The hotel had nice rooms if you like dark and dull with a stail smell and a TV with a fuzzy picture, The restaurant is suposed to be one of the best in Glasgow but the meal, which cost me £200, was no better than mediocre, another couple we met said the same thing later that night in the bar, Services form bar staff and waiters was slow, when we did get our drinks they were ALWAYS wrong, Drambuie with ice when we asked for no ice, Vodka drowned in coke when we told them not to pour the coke into the glass, wrong bottle of wine brought to our table when having a meal, It's small things I know but when you pay top doller for a hotel you should expect a certain level of service, Our room was at the front of the Hotel near a busy junction that seemed to have a steady steam of ambulances with sirens blairing going past from the nearby hospital, morning, noon, and night, so to sum up, poor service, smelly, noisy, pretentious, expensive and a bit remote

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Yawners
Leicestershire
Reviewed 11 August 2010

We had a two night stay in a standard room which although small was beautifully decorated. We arrived early but were able to check into our room several hours before the usual time of 4pm which was great. Our shower leaked hugely and although I did speak to reception I had no feedback so I hope it's now been fixed! I did feel that to not offer a turn down service in the standard rooms is a bit churlish when it can be done for the more expensive rooms. We ate in the bistro and had some of the best food we have ever eaten - clams with chorizo in a coconut broth, scallops in brown butter and the most amazing chateaubriand. Service is attentive and the petit fours with coffee are delicious. Would definately stay here again as it's in a great location.