“Really great hotel - a bit of a treat”

Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #15 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Clitheroe, Lancashire
“Really great hotel - a bit of a treat”
Reviewed 4 September 2010

I stayed for one night on business, with a colleague, in August. I've stayed at lots of other hotels in the group, so had an idea of the standard to expect. But this place has even higher standards than normal. First impressions were great. Really friendly young guy who carried our bags and very warm and welcoming receptionist. We were upgraded (which is always nice) and then shown to our beautiful rooms. Very spacious and well appointed. The hotel is quiet and the breakfast was top notch. I can usually find something negative to say, but really cant (except that when I rang to book 3 rooms for another stay, the reservations person had a poor attitude, so I wont be back – which is a shame).

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Cannock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2010

I stayed here last year as my company were having a dinner here prior to a conference and I have to say it was quite dissapointing. Dont get me wrong the hotel looks spectacular but actually it wasn't that great.

Firstly the place is too dark I know it's meant to be boutique and glamourous but the darkness actually gets quite annoying, especially when you know its lovely and sunny out.

Secondly, I didnt think the service was great. It seemed like too much hassle for them (even though we had booked out an entire room for about 20 people for dinner)

My room looked fantastic however it was out the back over the kitchens and all day / night you could here trollies being pushed about, food being thrown in rubbish bins and all manner of cooking smells. The air con in my room broke and I reported in and it was never fixed. Also, (i know its expected to tip the bell-boys) but when they helped me carry my one (light) bag to my room, the guy literally stood around for about a minute, waiting to be tipped. It was very awkward as I had no money (this was being paid for by my company) To me, it just seemed very weird. The restaurant didnt really serve anything to my taste, which is no fault of there's however breakfast in the morning was nice.

The rooms arent as expensive as you think and maybe for a short weekend away it would be nice, but i wouldnt rush back here in a hurry.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2010

We recently spent a night in the hotel to celebrate our anniversary, it was the first time we had been away since having our ten month old little boy and the stay was fantastic. We were greeted with open arms on check in and shown to our room which was stunning, The room was immaculate, and much more like a small flat than a hotel room, all your home comforts are there it was a great space to relax in and unwind before going for dinner. My wife particularly liked the roll top bath where she could watch TV and catch up on her latest soap.
The meal was fantastic well presented and enough on your plate to make you feel full but not wanting more. The staff were a credit to this establishment they were all very pleasant from the moment we arrived offering help to park the car, the reception staff who showed us to our room and enthused about the hotel and its history, to the waiting staff giving advice on cocktails and food and the housemaid who came in and offered us a turndown service.
All in all it was a night to remember and just what the doctor ordered, I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel to anyone, and if you want to do something special then you don’t need to look much further than One Devonshire as it does it all.

1 Thank Brian M
dundee
Reviewed 24 August 2010

Everything about our stay was perfect. The service was really friendly and welcoming. We felt spoiled from the second we walked in. All the rooms are amazing. We booked the most basic room at a really cheap rate and when we arrived they were offering an upgrade at £30 per level of room. The girl on reception showed us round all the levels of room- the mews suite is jaw dropping but definitely one to save up for! We ended up paying an extra £60 to go up 2 grades to the classic room which was really luxurious. It's great staying in such a gorgeous building and they've done a great job keeping the original feel of the place but having all the comforts you expect. The staff went our of their way to help and we will definitely be returning- hopefully to the mews suite! Breakfast was great too! Only let down was the milk chocolate buttons from the mini bar- at £3.75 they were a major let down!

1 Thank kandsandb
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 23 August 2010

As a treat for our tenth wedding anniversary my husband and I decided to treat ourselves to a luxury gastro treat for two! We started our weekend break at Gleneagles and then travelled south to Hotel du Vin. Having read so many good things about this lovely hotel I was worried about whether it would live up to the decadent standarts we had just left behind.
I need not have worried.
We were greeted at the door by a delightfully friendly kilted gent who took our bags, got us settled at reception and geefully informed us that we had been upgraded ( Gleneagles certainly didnt do this!!). OUr room was ready despite us arriving almost 2 hours before check-in and he took us up to the Front facing room. Four poster bed, seperate bath and shower, all audio mod cons you could only dream of ( a Bang and Olufsen TV no less) and toiletries you are encouraged to take home. They were divine and so I did!
We rested a while and then went down to the bar for afternoon tea....delish!
After a jaunt round Glasgow and a swim in the enormous bath we returned to the Bar to start our dinner. As two foodies, and having eaten in lovely places around the world...and having eaten at the Andrew Fairlie the night before we were not disappointed! The pre-dinner cocktails were sublime, the wine, different with every course of their 5 course taster menu, was exquisite and the choice of whiskey after as a night cap was bliss!
I cannot wait to go back.
They certainly gave Gleneagles a run for their money, they were more VFM and I slept like a log in the comfy and not over warm room.
Whether visiting for a longer stay or over nighter as we did enjoy, its a delight!

1 Thank Jen_Aberdeen
Bristol
Reviewed 21 August 2010

Pretty much everyone has listed all the great things about ths hotel, so I'm generally going to say ditto and limit myself to the things I haven't seen mentioned here.

The staff are great - efficient, helpful, knowledgeable and enthusiastic. When we asked the waiter at breakfast abut a particular museum not only did he immediately tell us about a great exhibition that was on there but also went and got us the opening times. The helpful man on the door in tartan trues spotted us hesitating on the steps and referred us to some excellent pubs and curry restaurants. The sommelier (do you have sommeliers for whisky??) was very helpful in assisting a novice to navigate the whisky menu, which was about the length of a short novel. The suggestions of both were bang on too! The girl on reception found me the safety pin I asked for in abut twenty seconds even though she had to run upstairs for it for me. I know some people like to have staff kowtowing to them, but I really don't and I thought everyone trod the line bewteen service and friendliness really well.

I've never had haggis and duck eggs for breakfast before, and I think I'd have a heart attack if I tried it too often, but for a one-off treat it was sensational! Breakfast overall was stupendous with gorgeously attired tables.

The rooms and common areas are lovely. I like cushions and cushions they have a plenty. Iwasn't sure about the portraits of wine bottles, but it goes with the theme. I like the subtle Scottishness of the place - not too tartan, if you know what I mean.

My only tiny wee niggle was that the bedroom (the Geoff something room - bathtub in the window alcove, lovely!) was very hot at night which meant that I found it difficult to sleep. But that's down to personal taste - my OH slept like a baby.

I hope we'll be back.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2010

As a regular at this hotel now for over 20 years for both business and pleasure I have never been disappopinted and the combination of large rooms, great food and being only a 10 min walk from the West End suits me perfectly. I have found the General Manager and the Restaurant Manager unusually helpful and compared to bigger hotels which I stay in and there is a personal touch and friendliness which is really hard to beat.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business