“This hotel has it all!”

Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens
Ranked #17 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 9 September 2010

When I fly between Atlanta and Glasgow I always spend a night or 2 here to recover from the stress of international travel. I call this hotel "my happy place". The staff go out of their way to greet you as if you were an old friend. Two gentlemen in tartan greet guests at the door to this unique group of old townhouses comprising the Hotel du Vin. Reception is uncomplicated and relaxed followed by an introduction to your stunningly beautiful room. No comfort is spared. Every room I have stayed in has been a delight. with beautiful furnishings in keeping with this lovely old building whose gracious staircases, amazing plasterwork and wooden paneling are a treat for the eyes. Public rooms provide a relaxed, homelike atmosphere for resting after a day of shopping, for having an afternoon drink or a coffee while reading the morning paper or just a place to meet friends for a visit or for business. The restaurant is located in several lovely rooms of Townhouse Number 1 and the food is incredible....delicious and imaginative. It is fine dining at its very best. Treat yourself with a stay at Hotel du Vin and you will never stay anywhere else in Glasgow.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 6 September 2010

What can you say about the best hotel in Glasgow! Well exactly that, we were greeted by robert the friendly doorman who helped us with bags etc and check in was quick. The staff had kindly upgraded us from a superior room to a classic room which was stunning. The bed was plush and large, the sofa was homely and comfy. The bathroom was as big as the room with a deep bath and seperate monsoon shower. It was fantastic. room! Toiletries were lovely too. The hotel were very helpful and broought us an ice bucket on request too. The bistro was elegent and yet warm and friendly. The sommelier was new but still very helpful even though it wasn't his own wine list. He suggested great wines and port and his amazing Chocolate Champers cocktail was great. The Whisky snug is a good place to retire to after an amazing dinner and the choice is ridiculously good with many single malts that are hard to come buy including distillers only editions. The bed had been turned down and room sorted for our return to go to bed which is a very romantic touch. breakfast till 11 is always a winner and the menu for that was great as well as great fresh fruit bar and other good continental options. This is by far my fave hotel and don't get to stay bery often but when I do its magical.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LynseyUre
Reviewed 6 September 2010

From the moment our cab arrived at Hotel du Vin we felt like we had stepped into a little bit of heaven. We were given a free upgrade from our basic room to what I can only describe as a palace. Did I mention the upgrade was free?! Our second night the upgraded room was not available, so we were in the basic room, which was still huge and unbelievable comfortable.

Furthermore, the staff was incredibly helpful, courteous, friendly, and capable. They took our bags to our room, gave us a tour of the building, greeted us with a glass of whisky, gave us advice on where to go in Glasgow and how to get there.

Yes, the du Vin is expensive, but if you have the money to splurge, then do it. It is worth every single penny.

Pros:
-GIGANTIC rooms
-ENORMOUS beds
-Extremely comfortable beds and pillows
-Huge bathroom
-Awesome shower (best shower experience I have ever had)
-Hot tubs in the room
-Beautiful decor
-Excellent service
-Romantic

Cons
- Location is a bit out of the way. It was a 15 minute walk to the West End, and not within walking distance of City Center.

Overall, I will definitely stay here again, it is worth every single penny of its price.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2010

I stayed for one night on business, with a colleague, in August. I've stayed at lots of other hotels in the group, so had an idea of the standard to expect. But this place has even higher standards than normal. First impressions were great. Really friendly young guy who carried our bags and very warm and welcoming receptionist. We were upgraded (which is always nice) and then shown to our beautiful rooms. Very spacious and well appointed. The hotel is quiet and the breakfast was top notch. I can usually find something negative to say, but really cant (except that when I rang to book 3 rooms for another stay, the reservations person had a poor attitude, so I wont be back – which is a shame).

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 September 2010

I stayed here last year as my company were having a dinner here prior to a conference and I have to say it was quite dissapointing. Dont get me wrong the hotel looks spectacular but actually it wasn't that great.

Firstly the place is too dark I know it's meant to be boutique and glamourous but the darkness actually gets quite annoying, especially when you know its lovely and sunny out.

Secondly, I didnt think the service was great. It seemed like too much hassle for them (even though we had booked out an entire room for about 20 people for dinner)

My room looked fantastic however it was out the back over the kitchens and all day / night you could here trollies being pushed about, food being thrown in rubbish bins and all manner of cooking smells. The air con in my room broke and I reported in and it was never fixed. Also, (i know its expected to tip the bell-boys) but when they helped me carry my one (light) bag to my room, the guy literally stood around for about a minute, waiting to be tipped. It was very awkward as I had no money (this was being paid for by my company) To me, it just seemed very weird. The restaurant didnt really serve anything to my taste, which is no fault of there's however breakfast in the morning was nice.

The rooms arent as expensive as you think and maybe for a short weekend away it would be nice, but i wouldnt rush back here in a hurry.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 August 2010

We recently spent a night in the hotel to celebrate our anniversary, it was the first time we had been away since having our ten month old little boy and the stay was fantastic. We were greeted with open arms on check in and shown to our room which was stunning, The room was immaculate, and much more like a small flat than a hotel room, all your home comforts are there it was a great space to relax in and unwind before going for dinner. My wife particularly liked the roll top bath where she could watch TV and catch up on her latest soap.
The meal was fantastic well presented and enough on your plate to make you feel full but not wanting more. The staff were a credit to this establishment they were all very pleasant from the moment we arrived offering help to park the car, the reception staff who showed us to our room and enthused about the hotel and its history, to the waiting staff giving advice on cocktails and food and the housemaid who came in and offered us a turndown service.
All in all it was a night to remember and just what the doctor ordered, I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel to anyone, and if you want to do something special then you don’t need to look much further than One Devonshire as it does it all.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brian M
Reviewed 24 August 2010

Everything about our stay was perfect. The service was really friendly and welcoming. We felt spoiled from the second we walked in. All the rooms are amazing. We booked the most basic room at a really cheap rate and when we arrived they were offering an upgrade at £30 per level of room. The girl on reception showed us round all the levels of room- the mews suite is jaw dropping but definitely one to save up for! We ended up paying an extra £60 to go up 2 grades to the classic room which was really luxurious. It's great staying in such a gorgeous building and they've done a great job keeping the original feel of the place but having all the comforts you expect. The staff went our of their way to help and we will definitely be returning- hopefully to the mews suite! Breakfast was great too! Only let down was the milk chocolate buttons from the mini bar- at £3.75 they were a major let down!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple