“very poor service - second time around”
Review of Malmaison Hotel

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #37 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 20 March 2011

Stayed in this hotel for a night away with husband . Whilst the hotel itself is fairly glam if you like boutique chic... the service would prompt me never to return. Took an hour to get a drink on arrival despite 3 requests - to be fair the duty manager sent us some complimentary drinks thereafter which was a nice touch. Dinner - steak came rare instead of well done - sent it back. Poured garlic butter on steak only to find it was blue cheese sauce which wrecked my dinner. Hoped that breakfast would make up for it - was greeted by girl who i can only say " is not a people person" - she showed us to our table and left us there without instruction, or even a nudge in the right direction to help ourselves .... the saving grace was the duty manager who did listen to us on check out and apologised. I await a call from the hotel manager..... I will say that there were some other very lovely staff in the hotel, but the consistent poor service by others really let this hotel down. Come on Mal....customer is king.....

Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 March 2011

I have stayed at Malmaison hotels around the UK and have always regarded them very highly until I read a review for the Glasgow one which made me think twice about booking it for an overnight stay for my wife and I. I decided to go ahead and book it anyway and was really glad that I did.

The Glasgow Mal has all the hallmarks of a typical Mal hotel - boutique style, quirky and individual but there were some touches here which made this one special. On arrival, having booked the hotel on the interenet, I realised that I had brought the wrong debit card which had no funds on it and the receptionist couldn't take the necessary payment. She was extremely courteous and patient while I sorted this out (trying to do it via my Blackberry but struggling to get a signal). I asked if I could use one of the hotel computers to access the internet to take care of this problem and she fixed me up straight away so that I could solve the issue. Once that was done and we were in our room, my wife couldn't have been happier. The decor was top rate and tasteful, the bed was really comforable and spotless and the rainfall power shower was to die for.

We got ready to attend a black tie party in Glasgow and then dropped into the hotel's cocktail bar for an aperitif. The bar had a lovely ambience and the service was first class and friendly. I savoured a Tanqueray gin and tonic and my wife decided upon a glass of Sauvignon Blanc which was really robust and flavoursome and not a bit overpriced. After our party we both slept soundly and had a bit of a lie in before we went for breakfast. Breakfast itself was excellent and anything but typical. Rather than the usual cereals I opted for a bowl of crunchy granola with pureed blackberries and the creamiest yogurt I've ever tasted. This was followed by a full cooked breakfast with really tasty and lean back bacon, good quality sausages and black pudding along with perfect poached eggs - fantastic!

Throughout the stay the staff couldn't do enough for us and we have decided to use it again for our next shopping trip to Glasgow. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2011

I have stayed at a few of this chain including a Hotel du Vin. All have been good and of a similar standard and this was no exception.

I didn't eat in the restaurant because I was meeting colleagues in the town but the bedroom was well equipped and clean and the bed was very comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 February 2011

A stylish hotel in Glasgow, with well appointed rooms. Smallish bathroom a little cramped but that seems to be the way with these boutique hotels, why they put a red hot towel rail at shoulder height so close to the basin I will never know.
Food in the restaurant was good, but the service slow and inattentive, if you did not call the staff over you were ignored resulting in a meal that dragged on for well over 2 hours for just 2 courses.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 21 February 2011

We had a very small room with a really grubby looking bathroom that smelt of drains and sweaty feet.. felt more like a school changing room than a nice hotel bathroom. The room was right next to the service lift which was really clattery....

Told the young man at reception the following morning, he just said they would give us a different room next time. Next time? there won't be one.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2011

very helpful reception when we had to change our package from Dinner & bed to bed & breakfast. Very comfy bed, nice location - not too noisy even tho' city centre.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2011

The Malmaison is a decent hotel, in a good location. The reception staff are very friendly and welcoming. The decor is past its best, but OK. Room small and badly lit. Shower great! Was rather shocked to see that everything was chargeable. In most 4 star hotels we stay in, mineral water, WiFi, and music are free. Malmaison charges for ONE album to be played repeatedly (£2.50, I think), or £10 for music channela and movies. Mineral water has to be purchased from grossly overpriced mini bar. No bathrobes etc..... These days, the competitors are offering SO much more for £140 a night. Malmaison doesn't meet expectationsin this price bracket. Probably won't go back. Glasgow offers much better.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple