“Hotel 1 Cup Final 0”

Ranked #36 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
KINTYRE
“Hotel 1 Cup Final 0”
Reviewed 20 May 2012

It had been almost a couple of years since I stayed in the Malmaison but I booked it as a special treat to celebrate my football team's first Scottish Cup win in 110 years. Unfortunately the team let me down but at least the hotel did not.

The Malmaison is classy and stylish and does the best breakfast of any hotel in Glasgow. It is worth staying there just for the breakfast alone. The rooms are compact but have everything you need. We had a corner room which had a couple of quirky foot square windows which added character to the room. The bed was very comfortable and I had a great night's sleep. I also appreciated the SKY Sports channels on the room televisions even if I could not bring myself to watch the match highlights in the evening.

Only minor niggles. There was some noise from the lift, which itself was also a bit rickety. My wife also tells me that the siting of the mirrors in the room was done by a man. It would take much too long too explain all here.

Normally the Malmaison is outwith my budget and I opt for cheaper options in the City Centre but for future stays I will make a point of checking out the Malmaison's rates with my Travel Agent before booking anything else.

Room Tip: Make sure you include breakfast in your rate
Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Shanghai
Reviewed 17 May 2012

There are apparently more Malmaison Hotels around Scotland but I haven't come across them before. The one in Glasgow is like a slightly down-at-heel W hotel, designed for the cool customer who doesn't like the bland decor of a big hotel chain. It's hard to ignore the carpet in the lobby and stairs (purple and ivory in stripes and checks) as you go up and down stairs because there's no elevator. The room I stayed in was a suite and comfortable, but the floor creaked. When I say the floor creaked, I mean it sounded like a haunted mansion. At the Malmaison, you will never be surprised by someone sneaking up behind you. If a body walks by in the corridor, you think there's an earthquake going on inside your room. If you get up in the middle of the night, you will not only wake anyone else in your room, you'll wake the entire floor. They must have done something special to the floorboards to make them so noisy, but the beds are very comfortable and the sheets and duvet are very fine. In the morning, head for the breakfast room along the purple and ivory carpet, then down the circular wooden staircase and into the darkened dining room. There you will find a fabulous breakfast waiting - continental buffet for £14.95 plus a choice of many hot dishes for two pounds extra. The breakfast was so good that I went back to the dining room for dinner and wasn't disappointed - make sure that you try the fresh fruit platter to finish. The hotel is definitely in the 'boutique' category, which is French for 'eccentric' when used to describe the Malmaison - the interior decorator could have been a Highland Laird who painted all the woodwork black so it would contrast better with ivory and purple-striped carpet ends. The staff are charming but were unable to provide an umbrella which seems odd because it is always raining in Glasgow, one would have thought they'd have hundreds behind the counter. I was offered the receptionist's personal umbrella if I promised not to lose it and bring it back before she finished her shift. Wireless internet is free, but slightly unreliable. I enjoyed the Malmaison and would stay there again, but I wish they'd replace the carpet and nail down the floorboards.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank beatric
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2012

Room was fine, comfortable and lovely sheets. Restaurant was very poor, such that some dishes were not eaten. Stay there but eat somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank Nicolas rowantr... S
Glasgow
Reviewed 8 May 2012

When we stayed in the Malmaison we had the benefit of staying in one of the suites and they do not disappoint, well worth the money for the upgrade. The living area is spacious and the bedroom is huge, both rooms have TV's which have sky sport son both which was a nice treat so I didn't miss any of the football.

The champagne bar downstairs in a classy way to start of your evening. I have nit eaten in the restaurant but have heard nothing but good things about it.

To sum up, the Malmaison is a very trendy, 5 star boutique hotel in the city centre, you will not be disappointed to stay here.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GRP01
Carnoustie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Visited 4th May and had a really good experience. Staff very helpful and friendly, room lovely with everything you might think of included (passed gratis shower cap test), nice fluffy dressing gowns etc. As part of Itison deal, bottle of wine and chocolate dipped strawberries awaiting us in our room. Food in restaurant good although we ordered additional dishes to the Itison offer. Breakfast also very nice and we were given two free glasses of champagne as they had over poured. Half price parking and within walking distance to city centre. What else you looking for!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nicecupoftea12
Staffordshire
Reviewed 5 May 2012

My partner and I stayed here in February 2012 for 3 nights.
Hotel is very clean and very modern we had a double room which was a bit small but was fine for 3 nights. Although we didn't sleep well due to having very noisy neighbours.
Hotel is is walking distance to the city centre where you will find plenty of bars and restaurants.
Good choice for a city break.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DaisyJ2
Strathaven
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I was offered a dinner, bed and breakfast deal, which we booked for the 27th April 2012 - I had previously eaten at the London Malmaison, so my wife and I were looking forward to some excellent cuisine. What a disappointment!
Although the welcome was exemplary, the facilities supreme, and the service really very good, the food - what was supposed to be the main event - was really poor indeed.
The starter of Pork Terrine was actually tasteless - it could have been anything if I'd done a blind taste test.
The main course was supposed to be Shoulder of Lamb but looked like little bits of crispy bacon - the lamb had been shredded and deep fried so it was tough and again quite tasteless - they must have got about 60 servings out of that shoulder of lamb. As for the rest fo the main course - not good at all -Gnocci swimming in olive oil and some peas. French beans were supposed to be in there too - I couned two!
Desserts were actually rather good, but o little too late to make up for the disaster our romantic dinner turned out to be.
My wife is not a big eater, but it was telling that after 3 courses in the brasserie, she went up to our room and ate the bisucuits from the tea tray.
So, if you are staying at the Malmaison in Glasgow - certainly book a room, but there are plenty more places to eat that will not compromise on quality or flavour - Two Fat Ladies right across the Square would be my choice.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple