“A small room...but good food”
Review of Malmaison Hotel

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #38 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
London
“A small room...but good food”
Reviewed 9 September 2012

My room was so small that I couldn't pull out the chair for the desk as it butted up against the bed. The room was in the original part of the building which had lovely high windows which were open when I arrived and I had to call reception to close them. This involved the poor girl standing on a stool in the window bay to reach!

However, the bed was excellent and firm, the linen lovely and the bathroom fine although I think separate shampoo and body wash would be a step forward from the purple stuff that is supposed to do both jobs.

I had room service. The brasserie staff were friendly on the phone, prompt in delivery and the food was perfectly cooked despite the long journey from the kitchen.

The hotel is an old Greek Orthodox church and the styling is rich, baroque splendour albeit the rooms are consequently a bit dark.

Room Tip: I understand that rooms close to the lift shaft are noisy and my small room was 117.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Ripplevale

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Great food and a great room within easy walking to all the shopping. No AC but they do provide a fan. Close to Police Station so fairly quiet other than traffic. Breakfast wonderful with hot and cold choices.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2012

I stayed here 6th September for one night on a business trip. Check-in was hassle free and with a smile. The king double room was a nice size with a refreshing drench shower. Bed was comfortable, but the pillows for me were really horrendous (please note, that beds and pillows are a very personal thing and I did not check with reception to see if they had different density ones more suited to my liking).

Dinner was included in my tarriff, I went retro and had prawn cocktail and lamb for main, both were delicious. The breakfast is comprehensive with cereals, fruits, pastries, breads, cooked to order options and the usual juices and beverages. Salmon and eggs was tasy and plentiful.

All of the staff that I encountered were discreet, polite, helpful and wearing a smile that really enhanced the experience.

Would I stay there again, that depends on the pillows but it's a nice quirky place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Stayed here last night. I'll bullet-point the good and bad bits...

- Staff (excellent actually). Very friendly and welcoming, both at reception and in the bar/restaurant.
- Food was superb. I had prawn cocktail to start, followed by swordfish, then the most amazing cheese platter! Wine was included, and when we asked for some more wine, they automatically brought us the same bottle, rather than bringing us the wine list. Only downside to the meal for me. otherwise faultless. My partner had hot chicken skewers with a chilli jam then the King Prawn and Thai Green curry, followed by the chocolate fondant. She loved them too.
- Great atmosphere
- Checkout was fast, friendly and efficient although we did find out when we checked out that they had parking discounts in a nearby car park, which wasn't mentioned in the website and on arrival, would have saved us forking out money for parking round the corner...
- Room was nice, although uncomfortably hot during the night and in the morning

Excellent hotel with great staff, shame about the parking and the room temperature....

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Just stayed for one night and was impressed by the hotel. Location is great and the room was lovely - good decor and clean. Friendly staff at reception. Breakfast was also good. I'd definitely stay here again.

Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gavinconn
London
Reviewed 31 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night on our way back from the West Highlands. We booked through Secret Escapes so got a good discount deal. Excellent central hotel. Great, friendly reception staff, suggested places for lunch and gave us a map and advised how to get to the Kelvingrove Gallery and negotiate the metro etc...(which is simple) We were upgraded to a suite - which was fabulous and as we had dvd's to watch, we chose to stay in, enjoy our sofas and complimentary dressing gowns and slippers and suite wine in the evening. We ordered in a pizza and reception staff were very accommodating with delivery. And of course, the bathroom smellies were a lovely encouraged steal ; ) Breakfast was great - very fresh produce and top quality. Reception also booked us a taxi to the airport - which was cheaper than the one we originally got from the airport to the hotel. A lovely end to a wonderful West Highlands break.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 28 August 2012

A surprise for those of you not familiar with the Malmaison hotels. Great rooms with mod cons & quirky decor. Really enjoyed my stay here. Cannot comment on food as ate out with clients. There is a restaurant on site though which is handy. Good location & def a great place to saty in Glasgow.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business