“disappointed”

Ranked #36 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“disappointed”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I booked this hotel as a treat for my daughters 21st birthday. We were going for a shopping break. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful but this is not a 4 star hotel. I informed the hotel that we required gluten free options and was told this wasn't a problem. There were no GF biscuits on tea tray anf the mugs were dirty. I asked for 2 glasses and some ice for the room which came really promptly but when I went to use the glasses they were very dirty. The room was unbearably hot, no air con not even a complimentary bottle of water in room. There was a pathetic desk fan which didn't revolve and all that did was circulate warm air round the room. No extractor fan I bathroom which meant it got even more hot and steamy in there. A very uncomfortable night was spent. The breakfast choice for GF was awful. Yogurt and fruit yes but only one cereal was suitable, if you wanted porridge this was extra as was not included in continental !!! Although they did produce 2 pathetic slices of GF toast. I asked for the cheese and meat platter and was give 3 small pieces of different cheeses and 3 slices of parma ham (no choice). I must say that I have stayed in many 4 star hotels and this has been the most disappointing.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank alisonn30ahd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
UK
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed here for 1 night in June- we where given a room on second floor which was beautiful just HOT, humid and small. No air conditioning and we couldn't open the windows in the room which left us with 1 small fan. Overall room was nice- the room could have been better but this is a cracking hotel- I have stayed in a number of malmaison hotels- whilst this is not my favour still lives up to the image for the brand

• Stayed June 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I very much enjoyed malmaison. It has a beautiful bar with excellent bar snacks and wines. For dinner, we had two starters and mains. My prawn curry was delicious, full of flavor, very authentic and my wife's lobster looked stunning.

I look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I have a theory that if you book with anyone other than the hotel they give you a grotty room.
WE were in room 250 ( Avoid it in the summer) its first floor at the front. bathroom was fine and the bed was comfortable. the room was very hot and the windows opened about 3 inches.The traffic was to noisy to sleep with windows open. The hotel could do with refurbishment and why they didn't install air conditioning from day 1 I'll never know ( yes even in Glasgow ). WiFi was free and fast. Service good,staff friendly and the breakfast was good

Room Tip: avoid 250 and 251
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a couple of nights midweek. The reception staff were friendly and the booking in procedure was good. We were then told where the lift was and although we had a couple of cases there was no offer to carry them or an offer to show us to the room.
The room itself was fairly spacious but the decor was dark as it was through the entire hotel. Chocolate brown seems to be the favourite colour.
The room did not have a safe so risked leaving our passports in the room. I did not enquire with reception if they provided the facility but safes in rooms are really useful.
Nice touch was the fluffy dressing gowns provided.
The control panel in the lift was a bit dodgy. When you pressed a button the panel moved and was in need of attention.
Ate in the evening in The Brasserie. Nice but too expensive. There was no wine under £20 Three course meal for two with one bottle of wine came to over £130. Now bearing in mind you are in the city and can eat out in much grander surroundings at a fine restaurant for the same money if not less then it is not a good deal.
Stayed in better for less. Would not recommend it. It just does not have that special feel about it.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 4 July 2013 via mobile

Part of a chain of hotels but still interesting. A little on the edge of the busy centre of Glasgow but that gives it the advantage of bring quiet at least mid-week. Lovely bed linen but the room was very hot. Also, really need power points beside the bed for phones etc. Good free WiFi in rooms. Good bathroom. Staff all friendly and helpful and we had a good meal in the Brasserie although maybe it could with a re-design. Secure parking a little walk away so not so good if you have lots of bags.

• Stayed July 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We stayed here after our wedding on 21 June 2013, glad we got a deal through late rooms. The hotel is nice, worth staying at but not at full price. Room was very nice, comfortable and clean.

Breakfast was good, good selection and evening meal was OK, but that just may have been my choice. Restaurant staff are attentive.

On my second evening we were out until late and the people in the next room returned shortly after us, they spent the rest of the early hours of the morning talking and slamming doors, hotel needs to do something about the doors, really noisy.

Although this is where we spent our first 2 nights as newly weds the hotel did not do anything special, which surprised me, we went to a Premier Inn in Inverness a few days later and they left and bottle of Cava and a card, what a lovely touch.

As others have commented, room was very warm.

I would recommend staying here but do not pay full price.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple