“Great if you book a room with Air-con” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Malmaison Hotel

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #36 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
burnham on sea
“Great if you book a room with Air-con”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Luckily I did :O)

Only 11 rooms in the hotel have air conditioning so whenever I stay (in any hotel in Glasgow) I always ring ahead and reserve a room with the facilities.

Admittedly it's weird that such a chain doesn't have such room facilities but you have to understand that:

1) It's only needed maybe 3 weeks a year in Glasgow
2) Most of the chains hotels are listed buildings
3) It was the first of the boutique hotel chains opening almost 19yrs ago!

My room (104 on the ground floor) is a standard room just opposite their largest suite (The Big Yin) actually most of their suites don't have air-con due to their location...so your best off with a standard room...and if air-con's a must then book 104

In my case I was up for the Merchant City Festival, the hotel is close enough to walk into town (Sauchiehall Street's a mere 10 minute stoll away). Also it's far enough away not to have to endure the drunken revellers and/or young girls who know their legs are their best feature!).

You're always met by a friendly smile at reception if it's a local manning it and they can't do enough to help.

My room was compact and bijou by today's standards, and because of the high ceiling lights in such buildings, is quite dark. However the room has all of the facilities you could wish for including wifi, flat screen TV and a mini-bar. As a point I always take my own refreshments in a coolbox (as now I drive as opposed to flying due to cost/convenience) and replace their offerings with mine. Appreciate that this is where any hotel makes its money and I've no intention of not being prepared and being fleeced

That said rrices are reasonable for some things (e.g. large glass of wine was £6.50) which doesn't bother me, a continental breakfast however is £13.95 and personally I prefer to wander into town and get a Scottish breakfast with a double espresso and orange juice for less than £6 (see seperate review)

As to the reviewer complaining about something as petty as not having GF biscuits on the tea tray, a previous girlfriend was coeliac and we always took our own...now't like being prepared!

Yes there are perhaps better places to stay, but considering it's location and the fact I paid room only £138 for 2 nights I can't complain. I think reviewers need to go and stay at One Devonshire Gardens (where I've stayed in the past) as that hotel had more or less the same quaint charm but is 5 times the price and doesn't have as easy access to the centre.

Room Tip: Room 104 is a standard room with air-con and easy access since on the ground floor. Sit outside o...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank bos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

Having had a great experience at the Malmaison in Newcastle upon Tyne a few years ago I stayed here for a night in summer. I had booked a superior room - and quite frankly I would not have liked to see the standard - the room was small and almost unbearably hot. Admittedly, the weather was hot outside, but the window in the room could not be opened more than a crack and there was no air conditioning. Eventually I found a fan in the cupboard but you couldnt plug it in anywhere near the window to draw air in. The elevator felt like something from 30 years ago and generally - the place and the staff felt tired and disillusioned. The breakfast was good but the service was fairly poor and we had to explicitly ask to be told that having something hot for breakfast would add an additional charge of two pounds per person. Two pounds?! Why bother, it just causes irritation for very little gain to the hotel. Anyway - generally disappointing all round - my advice - stay somewhere else...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

Stayed at the Glagow "Mal" on a business trip as it was very central for my needs. A pleasant enough welcome on arrival but no help offered with luggage. My room was typical Malmaison standard and had the lovely big bed, was spotlesly clean and all the usual essentials. Dinner in the restaurant was disappointing. The service was good and the young ladies who looked after me were attentive but the ambiance just wasn't right with loud modern music being played the whole time. There were 3 separate menus to choose from with a wide variety of dishes on offer. I had a steak which at almost £30 I expected to be accompanied by more than some green herb like stem and half tomato. All the side dishes were over £3 each therefore making your traditional steak dinner almost £40. Nice cut of meat though and cooked nicely, but it was a little on the cold side when brought to the table. Cold however is not how I would describe the room at night. Thankfully there is a little table fan which, although kept me awake with the noise it made most of the night, did help keep the room to a more bearable temp. No fan in the bathroom when showering added fuel to the already high temp in the room which meant I had a rather hot and sadly uncomfortable night in the city!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BusinessDirector
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

I booked this hotel as a treat for my daughters 21st birthday. We were going for a shopping break. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful but this is not a 4 star hotel. I informed the hotel that we required gluten free options and was told this wasn't a problem. There were no GF biscuits on tea tray anf the mugs were dirty. I asked for 2 glasses and some ice for the room which came really promptly but when I went to use the glasses they were very dirty. The room was unbearably hot, no air con not even a complimentary bottle of water in room. There was a pathetic desk fan which didn't revolve and all that did was circulate warm air round the room. No extractor fan I bathroom which meant it got even more hot and steamy in there. A very uncomfortable night was spent. The breakfast choice for GF was awful. Yogurt and fruit yes but only one cereal was suitable, if you wanted porridge this was extra as was not included in continental !!! Although they did produce 2 pathetic slices of GF toast. I asked for the cheese and meat platter and was give 3 small pieces of different cheeses and 3 slices of parma ham (no choice). I must say that I have stayed in many 4 star hotels and this has been the most disappointing.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank alisonn30ahd
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed here for 1 night in June- we where given a room on second floor which was beautiful just HOT, humid and small. No air conditioning and we couldn't open the windows in the room which left us with 1 small fan. Overall room was nice- the room could have been better but this is a cracking hotel- I have stayed in a number of malmaison hotels- whilst this is not my favour still lives up to the image for the brand

• Stayed June 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

I very much enjoyed malmaison. It has a beautiful bar with excellent bar snacks and wines. For dinner, we had two starters and mains. My prawn curry was delicious, full of flavor, very authentic and my wife's lobster looked stunning.

I look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

I have a theory that if you book with anyone other than the hotel they give you a grotty room.
WE were in room 250 ( Avoid it in the summer) its first floor at the front. bathroom was fine and the bed was comfortable. the room was very hot and the windows opened about 3 inches.The traffic was to noisy to sleep with windows open. The hotel could do with refurbishment and why they didn't install air conditioning from day 1 I'll never know ( yes even in Glasgow ). WiFi was free and fast. Service good,staff friendly and the breakfast was good

Room Tip: avoid 250 and 251
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple