“Nice Boutique Hotel”

Ranked #36 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Dongguan, China
“Nice Boutique Hotel”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I stayed at the Malmaison on a recent business trip for one night. I arrived around 2pm to find my room wasn't available but left my bags to attend my meeting.

Arriving back at midnight I found my bags had been taken to my room. The lift is certainly old and slow but so am I these days. The room was comfortable offering a trendy and warm feel. The bed was large and very comfortable. The bathroom was also large and clean. The room included an iron and ironing board a god send after unpacking the suitcase in the morning.

Breakfast was on the lower ground level offering good fair and the all important kippers for those of us foreigners that don't have access to these little beauties.

For me the quality if the hotel was far above that I had expected for the money I paid.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2013

This hotel was nice we stayed for a weekend for our 2nd wedding anniversary. There were stairs upto the bedrooms and stairs down to the bar area however if there was a lift we were never pointed in that direction. The room we stayed in had a separate living area which was nice as it was closed off with double doors.
I would stay at this hotel again as the location was good. I cannot comment on the food as we did not have any but as always the drinks were delicious!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I normally stay at the Crowne Plaza on business, but, because of the Lib-Dem conference, ended up at Malmaison. What a disappointment. Pokey corridors, gloomy paintwork, dim lighting. My room was not much better - gloomy lighting, air-conditioning vent but no sign of a control. Dim lighting in the bathroom. When will hotels cotton on to the fact that most men require a magnifying shaving mirror! The standard of room cleaning was very poor - on two occasions I returned to find my bath towel where I had left it (damp), and a half-empty glass of water and bottle by the bed. I found the fact that I had to take my laundry in a bag to reception rather tacky. There is no laundry service at weekends. (The Crowne Plaza can manage this, and collect your laundry from the room.) We arrived in the bar at 2200 one evening and ordered a club sandwich. This was not available, but we were told we could order it on room service! If they could make it for my room, why couldn't they carry it to the bar? The kitchen is nearer to the bar than my room! I found the bar prices very high, even for a 'boutique' hotel. £11.50 for a glass of rioja, admittedly large. On the plus side, the staff are very helpful and friendly, the breakfast menu good, 'though the tea and toast very slow in arriving. All in all, a disappointing experience.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Stayed for one night on business. Outside of Hotel looks great, quite imposing, clean and welcoming. The lobby is good, a good welcome and quick check in.

The trip to the room had tell tale signs of the hotel being quite old and losing the edge on paintwork, décor etc. The Lift is very old, buttons move about when you select a floor and the furniture looked tired on the landing.

It did not help that someone had been sick in the lift (not hotels fault) and the carpet had been removed later that day to expose a shabby tiled floor.

On the way to my room there were old dusty TV's in the corridor which did not set a great impression.

Room was great, if a little small. However wardrobe and fixtures all tired and an update would go down a treat. We had a drink in the bar, staff great and drinks, snacks all good.

Breakfast was just ok. I had Eggs Benedict which I could not finish as the sauce was too thick, there was too much of it, and the poached eggs were very strong on the vinegar used to cook, which has been soaked into the muffin/bread.

Check out was fine and all staff were friendly and helpful.

Overall for £140+ and a £2 breakfast surcharge for a cooked option, the experience felt lacking and the hotel is in need of some attention to bring it back up to date with some of its rivals.

Dewsbury
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I stayed in the Mal in Glasgow for work in July and had a very nice stay there. It was hot at the time and there was no air-condtioning but there was an electric fan available which looked quite powerful. Come on, it's quite forgivable. How often do you get a heat-wave in Glasgow?
The room itself was fine, although it's quite right, I don't expect you get much of a view wherever your room is as you don't overlook much of beauty in the hotel's location.
The place was very comfortable and the staff were very friendly. I didn't eat at the hotel during the evening as I prefer to go exploring if the weather's nice, but had my breakfasts there and to be honest didn't find it was as up to scratch as in previous stays in the Mal. Has there been some cost-cutting in quality of the ingredients being purchased?

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Montrose, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Had a great stay here whilst in the city for a friend's wedding. Room was of a very high standard and the raindrop shower was great! Querky little windows gave character whilst plenty of natural light was afforded by full length french windows.

I'd definitely return here!

Room Tip: Top floor for best views!