“Expensive but good for a special occasion.”
Review of Malmaison Hotel

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #35 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Expensive but good for a special occasion.”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I took my boyfriend here for his birthday after getting a spa treatment. Upon arrival there was an error with their room keys so our bags were taken off us and we were told that we could get a complementary drink in the bar and our bags would be taken to our room. superb service although you do pay for it in the room rates. The bedroom was lovely decor and a nice spacious bathroom.
I had also booked a reservation in the hotel for dinner which was also fantastic. The menu was quite limited but still adequate for what we wanted. I don't think I would return to the restaurant but for a special occasion the hotel was perfect.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
East lothian
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

This is the second time we have stayed at Malmaison, the first time we received a free upgrade to a suite which was lovely however this time we stayed in a standard double which was equally as nice. The staff were lovely and couldn't do enough for you. We had dinner and breakfast as part of our deal and the food and service in the brasserie was excellent. My husband and I really like this hotel and will definitely be back.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Me and my partner stayed in this hotel for one night, the entrance was lovely and the reception staff were friendly. We were told check-in would be 2 p.m., however on arrival we were told 3 p.m., which was a bit of a pain, but we were not going to let that bother us. The room was located on the bottom floor, it was large, really nicely decorated, the one problem there were two large ceiling to floor windows, which looked out onto the spiral staircase which was the way down to the restaurant area (inside) the view from the hotel isn't the best, however was in two minds whether this idea was quirky or strange? by the by, the stay was really nice, breakfast the next morning was nice too. Will stay again. X

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Motherwell, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Food was lovely and the general atmosphere of the hotel and brasserie is nice, however in the hotel there are signs that the place needs a bit of money spent on it; damaged walls and areas of general wear and tear. All in all a lovely experience, although at the price I would expect the place to be in a bit better condition.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2014

My daughter and I stayed for one night when visiting the Art College. We had a lovely dinner in the brasserie and retired to our (small) but nicely decorated room. It could have done with better lighting as the room lighting was very dim. Unfortunately neither of us slept very well at all - there was a lot of noise in the corridors and doors banging throughout the night, followed by a few hours of delivery/collection noise - that was when I discovered that our room was directly above the service entrance. I wasn't given the opportunity to comment at check out so if I ever opt to stay there again, I would only do so if I could guarantee a quiet room! However, I am sure there are more places to try that will be as charming for much less cost.

Room Tip: Take earplugs
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I stayed there two nights a week over a period of eight week whilst filming on location. The thing that impressed me most was that they made a note of the fact that I prefer a quiet room at the end of the corridor and then kept it for me each week that I returned without asking. The reception staff always remembered my name and had a warm welcome whenever I arrived.
The rooms was always clean and had everything you could need when away from home.
The bar area was inviting and the food decent if not spectacular.
The best thing about this hotel was that many of the staff seemed to care about customers.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the elevators.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Belfast N. Ireland
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Stayed here one night on business and it was excellent. My room was beautifully decorated with classy drapes and bed throw. The bed was large and comfortable. Maybe room 255 is a different style from those who have complained. Loved the bathroom smellies. Staff were friendly and efficient. I only wish I had been able to sample the eggs benedict for breakfast but wasnt hungry enough. It is walking distance to a good choice of restaurants. Hoping to return for leisure break with my husband.
saw a sign for gymtonic but could not find out if there is a gym.It wasn't metioned on the website.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business