“Disappointing stay”

Ranked #36 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
New York City, New York
“Disappointing stay”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

This hotel let me down. I was looking forward to staying here, until I got up to my room and felt uncomfortable by the darkness and narrowness of the hallways. My room door lock looked like it had been broken through in a prior accident, and the hotel staff was not very helpful of the fact. I probably wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My partner and I were given a £100 voucher from a family member to go to Glasgow Malmaison. We were initially going to settle for dinner only until the Sunday offer was recommended by a friend. Sunday offer - Spend £75 in the restaurant and get an overnight stay for only £25. This was perfect, even though we did go over our £75 but we were able to cover that cost by adding the cost to our room and pay at check out. The staff were lovely in both the reception and restaurant.

They were short on steak which was slightly disappointing but we still managed to get the 250g steak which was beautiful. The cocktails are also very generous with the amount of alcohol and it was a very clean and great atmosphere.

The room was lovely and nicely decorated. Clean and modern bathroom and great facilities.
The shower was also amazing! I know people have issues with wanting the shower to be good...

We would definitely recommend to anyone!

Room Tip: We have only stayed here once in a standard double room so i wouldn't be able to comment on what...
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My fiancé and I stayed at the Malmaison Glasgow for 3 nights, we were excited to visit Glasgow and stay at this hotel for the first time.

Our check in was excellent, we were greeted by a very cheery girl who was very informative and welcoming. Our room was a little small but very functional and whilst I was concerned about it being next to the lift this didn't disturb us.

We poured some wine and my glass had lipstick marks, disappointing start! We dined in the restaurant which was excellent, good service, great food.

The whole reason for me writing this review was for something I witnessed by one of the managers, I assume he was a manager as he was wearing a black suit and shirt. After having a chat with the restaurant manager, he proceeded to the breakfast buffet (with his newspaper under his arm) and helped himself to pastries for his breakfast. I was so shocked to see this, having worked in the hotel industry for over 20 years I have never seen this, and more disappointingly from a Malmaison Hotel. I was snapped out of my disbelief by the chef screaming breakfast from the kitchen!

I work in hotel sales, it can take us months, years to get a client to experience our hotel, one error like this make it worthless.

1 Thank VCEvans
Reviewed 17 March 2014

A very disappointing stay to say the least! I booked Malmaison Glasgow for a late Valentines gift for my Husband, we stayed on Monday 3rd March. I realised I was not getting a" Luxury Boutique style Hotel" the minute I walked through the front door. Upon check in we were looking at a badly stained wall behind the reception desk, we were given directions to our room with no assistance with our luggage. As we made our way through the Hotel I was disheartened with the décor and the damage to walls, flooring and doors. We opened the door to our "superior room" which was nothing "superior" about it again walls doors facing were all in need of attention, there was a large gap in the bath panel to the wall, very disappointing for a 4 star luxury boutique hotel! we made dinner reservations for 7.00pm were a rather nice boy named Grant attended to us, the restaurant was extremely quiet.
when I went to bed I pulled the sheets down to expose a rather stained mattress(room 152), I became extremely ill during the night. upon check out in the morning I spoke to the management and told them of my experience during the night of which I was told I "could not prove it" that it was something I had eaten in the Brassiere my husband and I had eaten the same foods for 3 days prior except for the meal in the Brassiere and he was fine.
I questioned the management regarding there four Star rating and and told of my disappointment in the standard of the Hotel, to be told the rooms are "tired we have touched things up, the company is not spending money in Glasgow Malmasion but we are hoping for a refurbishment before the commonwealth Games"
Two members of Staff told me to try Dundee Malmaison (the newly opened Malmasion in Scotland)
I expected Dundee standard in Glasgow for my £149!!!

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Stayed here the Friday before Christmas for our annual works night out. We paid £79 for the room as had booked far in advance. The room was lovely at the back of the hotel so was nice and quiet. My other friends room was right above the bar area so was glad wasn't put there. Comfy beds and slept like a log althought that might have been something to do with the wine! On the food front for a function I thought it was very good.

The hotel is an old church hence a quirky set up. Gave it the four stars due to my friends room location.

For anyone coming to Glasgow it's in a good location for shopping a couple of minutes away from Sauchiehall Street and about a 10 minutes walk to Buchanan Street where all the good shops are.

Room Tip: Ask from a room at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Irvine, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I stayed at Malmaison on 1/3/14 with my sister who had travelled from cornwall.
We were greeted by friendly, staff and stayed in room 102.
The room was beautiful with a great ambience and energy.
we had planned to eat out in glasgow but decided as the restaurant was so nice we would eat at the hotel.
The 3 course menu surpassed all expectations and the price was amazing for the quality.
Each and every member of staff made our stay a wonderful experience which we will definately repeat very soon.
Breakfast was simply perfect.

I loved my experience so much i returned to the restaurant to celebtate my sons 18th birthday and would like to thank all staff for making this extra special.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I Stayed at this hotel on 27th February and was pretty disappointed with the whole experience to be honest. Especially as it was a belated Xmas present for my sister. I had called a week prior to arrival to inform the receptionist that we would be there around noon as we had organised a full day in the city. On arrival our room wasn't ready but we could leave our bags. We payed the full bill at this time and they asked for a £50 deposit for breakages!! I work in a hotel and have stayed in many including malmaisons before this one and never have I came across such a thing. Very confused and offended by this request. As we were leaving, we were assured that our bags would be in our room when we checked in, which of course they weren't. They didn't arrive for an hour later. On inspection of the room, the headboard was white with dust, a used shampoo bottle was left in the room with a fresh one beside it. The mirrors were filthy and each one was obstructed by either a light or table, making applying makeup near on impossible! We also noticed that our room faced the bar which we didn't think would be a problem as it was a weeknight. We were so wrong to do so as there was a 50th party on in the bar in the evening which we were not informed about. It was noisy and as our room was beside the stairs, could hear everyone who entered or left the party. We called reception twice for milk and sugar for a nightcap which never arrived. All in all a dismal experience! Will never return here. A massive let down to the other well maintained malmaisons and their friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper levels. Do not expect a smile or acknowledgement from staff.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends