“Not bad”

Ranked #36 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
UK
“Not bad”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Stayed for one night on a business trip. No parking on site and closest car park is at the bottom of the hill so if you have bags you better drop them off before parking.

Check in was fine but my room was on the first floor at the top of a steep staircase and I wasn't offered any help with my heavy suitcase.

The room was small-ish but comfortable. No aircon. Floors are very creaky and could hear next door moving around.

Had a standard buffet breakfast which was good, nothing special.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Aberdeen
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

To say I was disappointed by the hotel is an understatement. Myself and my partner stayed there for one night at the end of March. As we approached the hotel with our luggage, as we were flying out of Glasgow Airport the next day was quite considerable, the receptionist just watched us struggle through the door, no offer to help. We checked in, no offer to help with our bags. The room was nice enough on the surface but dirty, tired and dated upon further inspection and the bathroom could do with a proper good clean, not what I expect from Malmaison as a brand. I had booked breakfast for both of us as part of our room deal, the waiting staff were rude and unattentive. We waited 20 minutes for our coffee we ordered and were given abrupt answers when we enquired where it was. There was one waitress I particular who was incredibly rude and continually looked bored and grumpy throughout the service. My partner ordered "The Big Mal" breakfast. This was a joke. One sausage one bit of bacon one egg etc. When we went to check out, I was told that my room only included breakfast for one and that I had to pay. As I did not have my confirmation with me, the receptionist would not even entertain me. I did begrudge paying for breakfast again, but what annoyed me even more was the pitiful spread laid on - "The Big Mal".I would not stay here or in another Malmaison hotel again. I have made a point of warning other people of the terrible service, tired dirty rooms and awful food.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Susan J
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed at the Glasgow Malmaison recently.
On the plus side, the hotel is fairly central with lots of on street parking around the hotel.
Only a 5 minute walk to Buchanan Street.
The hotel's is generally in good condition.
The room was a bit tired and in need of upgrading but has a certain style.

Incredibly having paid £363 for Bed and Breakfast, I was charged an additional £2 for a hot breakfast. This was not made clear at the time of booking and is a hidden cost. The member of staff on reception was somewhere between rude and take it or leave it.

Very foolish on the part of Malmaison, to alienate paying customers for £2 !!!

Ironically the hot breakfast was very poor and I sent a whole plate of food back to kitchen without question from the waitress. The breakfast was not worth £2 never mind a £2 supplement.

`

Room Tip: Stayed in the "Big Yin Suite", It's getting pretty tired.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Norwich England
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed at hotel with my partner for the weekend. 04/04/14. Service from start to finish was amazing and very friendly. Special thanks to Kathryn on reception who made us feel welcome and helped with any questions we had regarding hotel or surrounding area.

Room we stayed in was a when of their standard room but nicely themed, large, with all the quirky amenities/products that Malmaison brand do so well.

Breakfast was included and was excellent in the brasserie. Also took advantage of the cheap bubbles deal on the Friday which was an excellent start to the stay.

Can not fault anything about our stay, and would absolutely recommend a stay here.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MarkandJamie
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed here for one Saturday night in late January. The nearest car park is a bit of a walk (and involves a hill) but it is secure which is important. Hotel also gave us a discount voucher so the cost was reduced by 25%.

We had a DBB deal which was good value. The room we were given was beautifully decorated and well proportioned. We had a lovely time in the bar with a couple of different cocktails recommended by the excellent bartender prior to dinner. Bar and restaurant has mood lighting and was very atmosphere. Being a Saturday night, it was nice and busy.

The menu had a good choice and everything we ordered for nicely presented, timely and tasted good. Service was just right.

We had a quiet, restful night's sleep and breakfast was very good also. Good choice, hot options quickly served up. Overall a nice pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Club rooms are nice and spacious
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
GLASGOW
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We booked a pre theatre meal . I know it was very cheap. But it was awful... The soup was wonderful, so tasty.... The then ordered a chicken dish, it had a name , no idea what it was , but it was chicken so that would be good............ Oh my goodness after waiting 35 min.,after our soup........ the plate arrived with a chicken sausage on it, yes a chicken sausage....well I tried to consume meal..... awful, if they hadn't said it was chicken you would never had known... I left most of mine, my husband ate it as he was starving.
Possibly in future offer a good main course for the price and forget the free glass of 'wine' which also was awful , but wouldn't have expected anything else for the price.
Sorry I try to be encouraging , but not last Friday 28/3/14

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed at the Malmaison Glasgow on Friday (28th) March 2014. Had a wonderful night, few cocktails in the bar and a gorgeous meal in the Brassiery. The room was on the ground floor it was very spacious and everything you would expect from the Malmaison chain, bathroom was on the small side but for one night stay adequate enough. Staff were really good exactly what you would expect from the Glaswegian People, very friendly.
Would definitely recommend and will definitely stay again.
And the best bit of all Paolo Nutini was staying there at the same time and was such a nice guy!! Spoke to most people in the restaurant.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple