“Staying at the Mal”

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #36 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
“Staying at the Mal”
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

Good place to stay. Lovely service. They upgraded us for no extra cost as they had ran out of rooms at Christmas. We dinned there and the food was good. Sunday dinner was mammoth. Don't have breakfast before you come. The room was spacious and clean. Only one criticism. They don't serve hot cooked breakfast to the room only continental. However there is a hot cooked breakfast if you wish to go to the restaurant. All in all worth it.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
GlasgowMal, General Manager at Malmaison Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear simpsaf,

Thank you for submitting your feedback following your stay with us during Christmas.

I am pleased that you had such a pleasant stay and we do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Steven Simpson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

The Room was amazing, The staff exceptional. The staff had the time to make each person feel special. The bar staff were more than happy to recommend wines for our meal. From walking in to reception to leaving at the end of our stay the whole experience was memorable.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank simonbO1383QO
Dear Simon B,

Thank you for submitting feedback following your recent event and stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This weekend myself and my wife have just had the most amazing wedding at this stunning hotel. Firstly the venue we were in one of the duplex rooms which we loved something a bit different from your normal hotel rooms. Our room and rooms of our wedding guests were absolutely spotless the housekeepers do an amazing job.

The staff including management could not be nicer or more helpfull from the second we arrived till the second we left ourselfs and our guests were looked after. We had a problem with one of our other company's who was supplying stuff for our wedding who didn't turn up and even though it was not malmaisons fault they went above and beyond to help source the things I was missing.

The food is the best I have ever had we had 40 guests for meal and everyone of them sent there compliments to the chefs and the following 50 evening guests done the same for the buffet absolutely amazing can't rate highly enough. Have been to hotel for food before ( mal Sunday lunch ) £19.95 and it is some of best food and best value around.

Would recommend Mal Glasgow for anybody looking to book a small intimate wedding with a difference then would recommend it to everyone there is nowhere better.

We will be returning as often as we can as my wife and I love his venue and staff.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank gregtracymckay
GlasgowMal, General Manager at Malmaison Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear gregtracymckay,

Thank you for submitting feedback following your wedding with us.

I am really pleased that you had such a great time and that the staff looked after you so well, something we strive to achieve for all of our guests at Malmaison Glasgow. It is rewarding and encouraging to receive such positive feedback

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Stayed over the Easter weekend visiting from Cambridgeshire. Was initially placed in a new wing of the hotel which was wonderfully clean but very snug (small) with awful uninspiring views of an industrial building (I like industrial chic, I'm originally a Londoner who adores NYC but this was soul destroying) ...a first time visit to Glasgow. Asked for an upgrade for subsequent nights and this was wonderfully organised but proved that the grass isn't always greener on the other side...

The upgraded room was simply larger and not better! The bedside lamps had great big dust blobs (balls of dust) hanging from the lamp shades which was very unsettling given the close proximity of both lamps to my bed (and my head). When I woke up late on Sunday - very little hot water left in the shower.

Malmaison Glasgow décor is dark, heavy and ageing...a bad take on Charles Mackintosh or art deco...I think...

In contrast, the bar/restaurant area is very dark but reflects the 'sexy' Malmaison brand but looks wonderfully classy and impressive with the high ceilings (converted church) had a lovely cocktail which they almost didn't charge me for on check-out - I reminded them. My bill entitled 'the damages' stated 'Mr' which was intriguing given my LK Bennett raincoat + Alice Temperley heeled boots - this faux pas is not great for a boutique hotel - my foreign name is no excuse for laziness. Otherwise interactions with the staff showed them to be very helpful and competent.

All in all, impressive looking bar and restaurant, very helpful staff + awful rooms + dated corridors

I would return to Glasgow but NOT the Malmaison Glasgow...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

We have stayed in other Malmaisons so booked this without giving much thought to other hotels in the city.
The hotel is lovely overall but is looking quite tired in places (mainly in the rooms). Our room was at the front of the hotel and was noisy with the windows open but a fan was provided and the noise came from boy racers on the street so it wasn't something the hotel could control (our room had no air con). Noise doesn't bother me but it might be worth asking for a room at the back if you need peace and quiet. Our room was very clean and our bed was very comfortable! It was nicely decorated and only requires minor updating to make it better.
The staff really make this place! Everyone we came into contact with were extremely helpful and made sure our stay was fabulous. Breakfast was really tasty and the waiting staff were attentive without being overbearing. The hotel was only a 5 minute walk to town and the train station. The hotel could do with some updating to improve it further but we were very satisfied and had a great stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I have stayed at Malmaison Glasgow on numerous occasions, and normally find it good, but have something of an unpleasant exchange with them in March.

I had booked a two night package with them only for me to have to visit the other side of the world for a sudden death and funeral, I wrote to Malmaison explaining the situation and as a "gesture of goodwill" they refunded one of the nights but kept the other.

I asked on email for the general manager's email but this would appear to be out of bounds to mere patrons of the hotel. Quite why a GM wouldn't want to talk to his customers is somewhat beyond me, nevertheless, this is the level of service I experienced from their customer facing 'team', I ensured I was dealing direct with the property in Glasgow and not their HQ, perhaps I'd have been better off speaking to their HQ but frankly I can no longer be bothered. I found the whole experience unnecessary and inappropriate both on a corporate and human level.

The hotel made a little more profit that night for an empty room whilst I spent time in Australia dealing with bereavement, perhaps they were able to resell the room, I trust their board are entirely satisfied with the margins returned for this hotel, it'll be the last penny they get from me and of course, I'll advise anyone thinking of staying there not to bother.

I've cancelled several "advance purchases" before and haven't felt compelled to request my money back, if my circumstances changed and I have to cancel, it isn't the vendors fault, but on this occasion having explained the circumstances directly to the hotel I think it shows a real lack of foresight to keep a few quid when there is absolutely no cost to the hotel - none.

No such thing as bad publicity they say eh?

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I was blown away by the relaxing, comforting and professional service I received, and from the great rooms too - staying here will help you fall in love with Glasgow (which is gorgeous already). This is much more than a hotel - it's an experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good view, otherwise you'll only have the view of other windows (which isn...