“Over-rated”

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #36 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
“Over-rated”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed here for one night as a treat after the Eric Clapton concert. The room was small and very similar to a room in any other hotel. Complimentary water would have been good. The bathroom was spacious and clean but had no extractor so the mirror quickly became useless. Service at reception and at breakfast was offhand. A disappointment

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Islayskye
GlasgowMal, General Manager at Malmaison Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear IslaySkye,

Thank you for submitting feedback following your recent stay.I am truly sorry to hear about your bedroom standard experience at Malmaison.

I am sorry that we let you down on this occasion.

Once again thank you for bringing these valuable comments to my attention, without such important feedback, we cannot improve. I hope your experience will not deter you from visiting Malmaison again.

Kind Regards,
Steven Simpson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Cheshire, UK
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed here a few weeks ago and just looking at some photos! Great stay close to the theatre.

Most pleasing had to be the service which was attentive but not fussy.
We had dinner, complicated by running a little late - the staff responded amazingly. Food and wine were delicious.
Unfortunately my wife decided on a late breakfast, which was fine until I saw the lunch time buffet that we should have stayed on for (photo).
The room was well equipped and most comfortable, there was a lift (! - some one else's review !) and I like the decor and over all feel of the hotel. We'll be back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Brian P,

Thank you for submitting your recent feedback following your stay with us.

I am pleased that you had such a pleasant stay and we do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed in 'the big yin' suite on the night of our wedding this month and it was amazing! The staff happily took our bag in the day before and even afforded is late checkout so we could relax after our party. At breakfast we were offered champagne (which we obviously took!) and where looked after extremely well throughout. The room was something else and I would recommend stating there to anyone who's looking for a special experience!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Heather R,

Thank you for submitting feedback following your stay with us.

I am really pleased that you had such a great time and that the staff looked after you so well on your wedding night, something we strive to achieve for all of our guests at Malmaison Glasgow.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards
Westbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

The hotel is on West George Street, a reasonable walk from Queens St or Central Stations. There is no lift and it is a converted old building. I was put up in the hotel by work. Call me old-fashioned but I object to the sexist advertising in the Malmaison rooms. All the chain seems to be the same. In this particular hotel, the windows did not open in my room - so no fresh air. However (and perhaps because of that), the room was quiet even though it faced onto West George St.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear NigelB,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Malmaison Glasgow. I am sorry that the hotel did not live up to expectation.
If you would like to discuss anything further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I booked his hotel on the Friday for a one nights stay with breakfast on the following Monday for two people. I have previously stayed in the Aberdeen Mal so was expecting a similar experience, although appreciate there is no spa in the Glasgow hotel.

The hotel itself was very nice, reception presented well and the decor was in the usual malmaison style. Our room was located on the first floor. There was no lift which is typical for older properties.
The room itself was quite small, a similar size to the 4 star Central London hotels I have stayed in which was disappointing. The room was incredibly warm with no way to open windows and there was no air conditioning. There was not even an extractor in the bathroom which led to the room being uncomfortably stuffy - I could not wait to get out and back outside into the Glasgow rain!

I barely slept at night, it was simply too warm and there was no complementary water which meant raiding the mini bar for a cool drink. I have never experienced anything like it!

Breakfast was delicious and I cannot fault the selection and quality of food. The staff were also very friendly. Location wise, the hotel was average being at the top of west George Street.

If I was to return to Glasgow, I would probably pay more for a central hotel with air conditioning! I doubt I will return to this particular malmaison.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AmyDSco
GlasgowMal, General Manager at Malmaison Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear AmyDSco,

Thank you for submitting your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry on this occasion that it did not meet your expectations.

If you would like to discuss your concerns further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Worksop, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Great stay at Malmaison Glasgow. We had the Big Yin room and we were very impressed. The great feature was the bath. Lots of extras included. Great atmosphere to the room. Reading some of the other reviews, I am not sure what people are complaining about. Malmaison is supposed to be trendy, moody and something a bit different. Would recommend the breakfast. A great finish to our Scottish road trip.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Matt O,

Thank you for submitting your recent feedback following your stay with us.

United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Booked this place for one night as it was half the price of the Bythswood. I'd stayed at several Malmaisons before so was confident it would be fine for a short stay. What a mistake....

We arrived at 2pm after an exhausting overnight flight to be told that Malmaison Glasgow strictly prohibit any check-ins before the official 3pm time. Struggling to stay awake we left our bags and went off in search of some strong coffee. A terrible first impression.

We returned bang on 3pm to be met by a reception supervisor who said our bags had already been taken to our room: so the room was clearly ready before 3pm and it was just the hotel's daft policy that had turned us out into the streets. Not at all impressed.

We waited an age and then a very rickety old lift took us to the top floor where we found our room. It was a warm day (by Glasgow standards) and the room was sweltering and very stuffy. Another sign this room had not been occupied the previous night so certainly was not being serviced until 3pm. We opened the windows but even on the top floor there was a lot of traffic noise.

The furnishings in the room had seen far better days. Some of the upholstery on the chairs had been rubbed thread bare. There were chips on the wood and the walls were in dire need of a lick of paint. Hardly luxury accommodation. Most Premier Inns have better appointed bedrooms for a fraction of the price. The bathroom was very small and badly designed. No towel hooks. Just 2 towels. A door that blocked the wash basin and a shower screen that had no purpose (it was impossible to prevent the shower flooding the bathroom).

I asked the receptionist where I could post a letter. Her answer was "sorry I don't know"! How helpful! Even if she was new (she didn't say) surely she could have asked others in the hotel. Hardly good customer service...

All in all a very very tired hotel with staff who are only out to make their own lives easier and have no desire to provide decent service.

Avoid, avoid, avoid is my wholehearted advice!!!!

• Stayed May 2014
Dear JJimBean,

It is with regret that I learn of your disappointment in relation to your recent visit to Malmaison Glasgow. We genuinely try our best to impress our guests and if for whatever reason, we don't achieve this objective then we make a full investigation into the matter.

First and foremost, thank you for sharing details of your experience as in this way we can address the issues you have highlighted.