“Tired. Them and me.”

Ranked #37 of 96 Hotels in Glasgow
London, United Kingdom
“Tired. Them and me.”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Given a hotel's primary function is somewhere to sleep I didn't have a great time at this branch of Malmaison. The first room I was put in was in the eaves of the building on the west side. There was no AC in the room (a fan was offered) and the Velux windows couldn't be opened. Being June, even in Scotland the temperature was unacceptable. Especially as the bedroom was at the top of the duplex.

The hotel kindly offered to move me to a room on the East side which had AC. I specifically asked "is it a quiet room" - "yes" came the answer. "No" was the truth.

There is an access road down the side of the hotel on the East side. About 5:30, I assume dust carts and delivery trucks, started to arrive. So that was me awake. It went on for at least an hour. Damage done.

The general decor of the hotel gives off the feel of a hotel that was very stylish when it opened. It now has the tired edges and really needs to be closed for a month and spruced up. Spending this sort of money on a hotel and not getting a pristine finish is disappointing.

To end on a positive - the breakfast was great and the staff friendly and attentive across the reception/bar and restaurant.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Overall enjoyed our stay in this hotel. The staff were generally all friendly and welcoming (bar one woman who we dealt with on check out who seemed like she may have been having a stressful morning so I will not dwell on this!). The room was tastefully decorated and the option of a bath or waterfall shower with the ample complimentary toiletries was welcome. Did not have anything from the mini bar or snack selection but this was well presented and the options were different from the usual pringle and mars bar selections you tend to get.

Breakfast was good with lots of different options and the service friendly and efficient. Some might argue that it is slightly overpriced at £15.95 per person for the cooked option and continental buffet selection but it set us up nicely for a day of site seeing! Would probably dine here again though for a special occasion.

As other reviewers have noted the windows are not good at keeping out the noise from the boy racers if you are placed in a room facing the street (which unfortunately I was, the noise did die out nearer to 3am though...) and not all the rooms have air conditioning either which led to the room being very warm despite only being around 15 degrees outside. It was a shame as the bed was huge and very comfortable!

Despite the minor gripes, I would stay here again, it is conveniently located and a nice change from the usual chain options.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
West Lothian, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Visited the Malmaison at the start of June, thought that reception and staff encountered there were very welcoming and helpful. Trip to our Double Room was down a small, dimly lit corridor. Our room itself was small, maybe compact is a better word, but for only one night it was functional.
Problems with the room included the bed being way too firm and uncomfortable to sleep on.
The room was also ridiculously hot resulting in us firstly trying to sleep with the window open - which on a Saturday night in Glasgow is kinda difficult as you are staying in a city centre with a lot of people out at night for a party and the hotel is very close to a police station (cue lots of sirens and cars speeding past to deal with the party people!)
Also, to try and combat the heat, I got up in the early hours of the morning, closed the window and dug out the fan provided in the wardrobe. In the morning we found the fan to be filthy. Not had a clean in a long time.
The bathrooms could also do with a bit of work. I fit bathrooms for a living and encounter this all the time. The companies who own hotels throw all their money at the public areas and bedrooms and always forget about the bathrooms! (see other hotel reviews) Badly designed, in need of a good clean - especially behind the basin, that was gross - and highly offensive to the eye with the ugly black and white checkerboard effect tiles.
As mentioned previously, the staff at reception were really nice, and couldn't do enough to help - however, after checking out when we come back to the hotel to make you aware that you have overcharged us for our room service, don't tell us we are wrong. Its you who needs to update the prices in your menu.
I paid a visit to the gym on the Sunday morning, its small but when you are the only person there it doesn't really matter. One treadmill, step up, exercise bike, hand rower and weights bench. Towels and a water cooler are provided.
The bar was nice, seating area under the atrium is a good use of a small space. We also had the Malmaison Brunch, I'll keep that for the restaurant review though!

Room Tip: Plenty of other hotels to choose in the area.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mark I
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

The hotel itself is nice enough and the staff are very professional. I stayed in a duplex suite for a romantic night away. Suite was a good size unfortunately no air con and terrible windows made for a very noisy and hot night. We had to listen to boy racers driving round and round the block until around 3am and even five floors up the antiquated windows do nothing to silence the drone. It was only around 15c outside however our room was like a sauna but opening the windows even slightly resulted in unbearable noise from the street. I complained and ended up paying the same as a standard double room however considering we requested a move around midnight (nothing available) this was the least I expected.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mark G
GlasgowMal, General Manager at Malmaison Hotel, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear Mark G,

Many thanks for recently staying with us at the Mal and for taking the time to write a review - I appreciate the feedback.

I am truly sorry to hear about your disappointing Bedroom experience here at Malmaison and that it did not live up to expectation.

Kind Regards,

London
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I've stayed in Mal's in Edinburgh, Liverpool and Birmingham, and they are all significantly better than the Glasgow Mal.
This is a shame. I had high hopes, but these were dashed pretty quickly.

This is a dark and dingy hotel. The reception area didn't feel very welcoming, and sadly this continued on to my room too.
I was in a ground floor room, with dark furnishings, and a window that was too high up to be able to see out of, (and when I climbed up for a look there was nothing worth seeing).

The hotel had decided to let a group have a function in the bar. I was told I could still go in there, but I didn't want to gatecrash the function, (I think it was a wedding reception).

Maybe I was just unlucky, although looking at some of the other reviews it looks like others have had the same experience.
There are lots of good hotels in Glasgow, including the superb Blythswood that is about 2 mins walk away.

Sadly I don't think I'll be staying at the Glasgow Mal again, and unless you get an amazing rate I would suggest you look at the Blythswood, Hotel Indigo, The Crowne Plaza, Grand Central, The Hilton, etc, before booking here.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Travelling_Scot_10
Dear Travelling_Scot_10,

Thank you for submitting your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry on this occasion that it did not meet your expectations.

If you would like to discuss your concerns further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night in June 2014. First impressions good, nice foyer and public areas, staff friendly. However our Standard Double room was ridiculously small, bordering on claustrophobic. Nicely enough appointed, but lacking air con or an in-room safe. Room was very hot, had to leave window open all night. Bed was way too firm, very uncomfortable. Overall, it was okay at best for one night & really wouldn't recommend staying here for any longer. We definitely won't be back here, there are many better options available.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NeilVegasFan
Dear NeilVegasFan,

Thank you for submitting your feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

Naturally I am disappointed to hear about the issues you encountered while staying at the hotel and can assure you that our bedrooms are currently under review and the standard and specification of facilities is constantly being reviewed and upgraded.

Malmaison as a company have built and designed all there hotels around listed building, when undertaking programmes like this we end up with rooms of different sizes and shapes but very unique in style.

Once again thank you for bringing this valuable comment to our attention, without such important feedback we cannot improve on standards received.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I rang the hotel ahead of my stay to ensure before I booked, I could guarantee a quiet room due to a hearing impairment. It was confirmed, I would be given a quiet room.

When I arrived - I again checked with reception that I was allocated a quiet room and I was assured I had been given one.

I proceeded to the allocated room and immediately it was clear that I had not been given a quiet room. I called the reception and explained, although the staff were friendly, I was made to feel I was a nuisance and the staff appeared to be very junior.

I was given another room and although it was quieter, it was like a sauna as I was unable to open the window due to the noise and the antiquated desk fan provided was so noisy, it was impossible to put it on. This meant 3 nights very uncomfortable sleep.

I asked for another fan, however, was told, NO - therefore, I had to purchase one to use, which on the room rate paid, I think is a disgrace.

It appeared the only staff ever on duty were inexperienced, junior and although friendly, ineffective.

I recommend staying anywhere else to ensure a goodnights sleep.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank JONATHON M
Dear JONATHON M,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Malmaison Glasgow. I am sorry you experienced these issues during your stay and that it did not live up to expectation.

If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.