“nice hotel but not worth the money.”
Review of Malmaison Hotel

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #37 of 93 Hotels in Glasgow
Reviewed 1 November 2009

Very nice looking hotel and nice atmosphere. I thought Malmaison were a bit cheeky to ask for £130 per night (room only) for a superior room as it was not worth that. The room heated up quickly and got very stuffy. I was expecting some air conditioning or at least be able to open more than just the bathroom window slightly. And you had to pay for everything in the room. I thought for charging so much money for a dissapointing room, you would at least get a free bottle of water! The view was a block of offices and the bathroom wasn't the cleanest i've seen!
If the prices were £30-£40 lower, then i'd be impressed, but dissapointedly, I was not.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cherryyana
Write a ReviewReviews (1,509)

Reviewed 30 October 2009

The Malmaison group has always been my first choice for a city hotel, but after my stay in Malmaison, Glasgow, not any more.

I had booked a room through their central reservation system and asked if the "club mal" deal could apply to me as I was booking several days in the week. Not so, it works only if you book their cheap rooms and upgrade to the slightly less cheap rooms - a deal that seems to be aimed purely at business travellers and not for those staying on a short break during the week. I did negotiate a better room rate for a superior double with breakfast but on arrival found the "superior" double (room 119) to be small, dark and with a view of the office block next door.

I spoke to the duty manager and asked if I could upgrade to a duplex suite as I found the room to be below my expectancies. We upgraded for £30 per night extra and transferred to the new room (555) and thought I noticed a slight smell of cigarette smoke in the room.

We went down for dinner and returned to the room. It was hot and stuffy - no air conditioning- so cracked open the windows (street noise or suffocation?) still noticed the cigarettes and thought maybe it was drifting up from street level (5 floors up?), the smell of cigarette smoke got progressively worse and kept us awake until finally around 3am I called reception and one of the night managers came to the room and agreed that the cigarette smoke smell was indeed uncomfortable, and moved us back to a different room (room 120) just so that we could get some uninterrupted sleep.

Apparently we were the "first guests to complain of cigarette fumes in that room". I work in the hospitality business and a quick walk outside the hotel next morning showed me the cause of the smell. At one corner of the building there is the staff and delivery entrances, clearly marked by the discarded cocktail sticks and a pile of cigarette stubs, directly next to the ventilation intake of the part of the hotel directly beneath room 555! Passive smoking for only a couple of hundred pounds a night! Thanks!

Next day we were moved to another room (room 552) the fourth room in 24hrs! which again was stuffy and hot, even with the windows wide open (no air conditioning in this room either!).

Other faults with the room? other rooms we saw had iPod docks, ours didn't. One small corner lamp with a brown shade - the only light in the "lounge area" so reading was impossible. The whole room area was dark and dingy, not helped by burnt out light bulbs on the stairs. No bath mat, only one face cloth (which disappeared the next day -so no face cloth). No offer of a daily newspaper like other rooms received. Only one water glass in the room, so I used a wine glass to drink from. Next day, still dirty half full glasses left in the room, so even if I wanted to purchase and drink the wine on offer, nothing to drink from - a lost sale there!

Breakfast? good food but totally let down by the incompetent and miserable staff on duty. Over the three mornings we were given someone else's order, the wrong tea, cafitiere coffee ready plunged so I had no choice on the strength. half a rack of toast (the other half hit the floor before it got to me), not helped by staff who refused to "scan the room" to make sure guests were happy.

Checking out I discovered that the "upgrade" didn't include breakfast, so £30 per night swiftly became £57.90 per night, I felt a little "ripped off", especially as I was also having to pay for an interrupted nights sleep.

The duty manager did listen to our comments and has responded to them by offering us a competitive room rate on our next visit - I thought I was getting one on this viisit!
I have provisionally booked Malmaison Oxford for a trip next year, but after this experience, I shall be looking at other options.

Malmaison, you certainly lived up to your name this time!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andy M
Reviewed 26 October 2009

I enjoyed my stay at this Malmaison! I have to say....the attention to details could be slightly better but hey....what would you expect when you get a good deal through Internet. It is a very descent hotel with a gym.....I will probably go back...

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 October 2009

Stayed here overnight on a business trip and had read a few negative reviews, however plesantly surprised! Would stay again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 October 2009

Stayed using Mal`s sunday special deal whereby if you spend 75 pounds in the bistro the room only costs 10 pounds (although we upgraded to a superior room by paying an extra 10 pounds). The room was well appointed, comfortable big bed and there were no noise issues aside from creaky floorboards but we were in the old wing!
The highlight was undoubtedly the meal whch both my wife and myself thought was exceptional with very attentive staff - we will definitely be back for more.
The only slightly sour note was when we were sitting in the small bar after finishing our meal, a member of staff began clearing away the tables and chairs leaving us feeling slightly uncomfortable and rushed - it was only 11pm!
Overall though we were pleased with our choice.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2009

Stayed here for just one night while in Glasgow, and it was wonderful! We got the duplex suite, which had a loft with comfy king-sized bed, and two couches downstairs with a flat screen TV. The deal came with a whisky tasting in the hotel bar, and the bar and restaurant were excellent. The hotel is ideally located in the city center, just a few minutes from Glasgow Central train station and near the famous Glasgow School of Art and Sauchiehall street for shopping. There was no convenient nearby parking but the hotel recommended a car park a few blocks away. Wished they had free wi fi but we had to pay for it.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2009

I have stayed at Malmaison in Glasgow several times, both for business and leisure. In fact, it is my number 1 choice in Glasgow. I just have never got round to writing a review before.
This trip, I was entertaining clients. As usual, the hotel lived up to its expectation. I had a great room above reception. My other 9 guests were extremely pleased with their rooms too. We had drinks in the bar before we went out in the evening, and the service was good. I have eaten here before and would rate the food as very good - not excellent but well above average.
Breakfast is always excellent. Reception staff were very efficient, arranging taxis for 10 of us.
My only gripe would be that you get turfed out of the bar to some miserable sofas after about 12am. The bar is in the same room as the restaurant, and they need to set up for breakfast. It is just that this is not a very pleasant place to end your evening
But all in all, I would recommend for both business and leisure in Glasgow and quite often you can get good deals from their website

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business