“In serious need of a facelift!”
Review of Malmaison Hotel

Malmaison Hotel
Ranked #36 of 95 Hotels in Glasgow
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“In serious need of a facelift!”
Reviewed 18 June 2010

If you check back on all my other contributions made to hotels, hostels, B&Bs and restaurants you'll see that I am honestly fair when it comes to reviewing places.

I am SO angry with mine and my boyfriends stay at this hotel. Probably partly my fault for having quite high expectations for the hotel. I'm not going to completely trash it, because the service wasn't to bad, however I felt it was really forced from the girls on reception as if its the only decent thing they have left to offer at this crappy hotel!

We paid £125 for the hotel and added breakfast on when we got there which totalled at £20 for the both of us, so forgive me for expecting a tiny bit of luxury at £145 for one night!

- We walked up to our room and it was ROASTING hot! there was NO air condition and
obviously as its an old building they have those huge windows that you can't open for
health and safety.
- Our room looked onto an office building that was only a few feet away so we were
being stared at by office workers when we were sitting on our bed so not only was it
roasting hot but we had to close our nice thick dark colored curtains on a scorcher of
a day!!!
- We found an open half eaten bag of peanuts lying on the desk in our tiny tiny little box
room.
- One set of towels for the both of us.
- The cold tap in our bathroom sink was absolutely boiling hot - as was the hot water
tap.
- In the morning we got woken up at 7.30am by a cleaner pounding the hoover off our
door after obviously hoovering the lobby outside.
- Initially there was confusion when we went downstairs for our breakfast - we got told
we had to pay an extra £13 each for breakfast even though we'd already paid £20
when checking in. However after a few minutes of staff running back and forth we got
told everything was fine and we didn't have to pay anything extra however I still feel that
they were trying to trick us out of money etc.

Like I said previously the staff were quite friendly on arriving etc and were more than willing to book us taxis and help us with maps if necessary. Also the breakfast was really really great and worth the money as there was so much to choose from.

I cant help but feel for a couple of pounds more you can get absolutely exceptional quality and treatment from Hotel Du Vins - One Devonshire Gardens which isn't as central but far better quality than this hotel which seems to just hide under its grand 'Malmaison' title!! They obviously think that the 'Malmaison' title entitles them to charge WAY over the odds for absolute shoddy surroundings and just a crappy hotel over all.

No apologies from any staff members even after i'd alerted them to the peanut and towel situation.

I won't be going back in a hurry. This place was a total let down to the Malmaison chain.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
London
Reviewed 16 June 2010

Small rooms, I was lucky enough to get a suite but it really is not worth the money, tired paintwork, door cracked, bed very hard but surprising linen very good quality, food is good though, this is one place that can present poached eggs to a high standard.

Stupidly the trouser press is fixed in the wardrobe. So its quite impossible to use, the TVS are very dated I would say at lease ten years old, very poor picture and nit sufficient channels offered

The service is very good but god they are slow, in essence this hotel is very tired and I would certainly not stay here if I had to pay with my own money, I was on business and will try another on my next trip,a shame really as the concept is sound.

• Liked — Concept
  • Disliked — Tired overpriced lack of attention to detail
  • Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank HettyWainthrop
london
Reviewed 17 April 2010

I can remember when Malmaison was a breath of fresh air on the city hotel scene. It had attitude and distinction, but time has moved on and Malmaison hasn't.

Like all 'of the moment' aesthetics, Malmaison's design has become dated and it feels tired. And in other respects it feels like the business isn't trying very hard anymore - the room was hot and the bar was cold. Sometime the service was great and sometimes it was hopeless.

I stayed here because I couldn't get back to London due to the volcano in Iceland that brought Europe's airline network to a standstill. I had been staying locally, at Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens before that, but they were fully booked for the additional night. Both hotels are part of the same group, but there is no doubt where the effort is being applied. One Devonshire Gardens was outstanding and only twenty pounds more expensive. Stay there instead. It is world's better.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
glasgow
Reviewed 12 April 2010

I have stayed at the Mal Glasgow many times I got married there in 2006 so I always find an excuse to return. The hotel lobby and bar areas are stunning the staff are friendly. The resturant looks a bit dated I think but the private dining rooms are amazing and it feels very special to eat in one. The standard rooms can be a bit small and I would recomend requesting at room at the back of the hotel as it can get hot during the night and its too noisey to open a window at the front. Its in a fab location for seeing the city centre there are loads of shops bars and resturants near. The food at the hotel sounds fab on the menu but doesnt always translate well on your plate I would eat out if you can Red Onion and The amber regent are 5 mins away and both excelent resturants. No doubt I will continue to return for the modern boutique feel, lush rooms and fab toiletries.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Central Scotland
Reviewed 3 April 2010

Booked this as a last minute deal and THEN looked at the reviews. Was a bit worried to say the least! Malmaison sells itself as a chain of quality boutique hotels and some of the reviews on this site were not complimentary. As soon as we walked into reception I knew we had nothing to worry about. This hotel is GORGEOUS. Reception staff are wonderful. Our room was a Standard room and although it was a bit on the small side it was beautifully decorated with an amazing shower. Bed was very comfortable and room was very quiet. The complimentary toiletries are the best I've used. (and i take a LOT home from other hotels)! LOL I also dropped something under the sink and was pleased to see the floor was spotless under there!!
We also booked the 3 tenners meal option (2 courses for 2 people with a bottle of wine £30) Limited menu choice but what we had was fantastic (both had Goats cheese and walnut salad to start, Pork chop and spinach risotto for our main courses). The Chilean merlot wine included in the deal was DELICIOUS. We paid extra to have desserts and the choice and quality we fab. Creme Brulee was the biggest I have ever seen. ! My partner managed the full Scottish breakfast next morning which he said was perfect. I was stuffed so asked if I could have a roll with Bacon and Egg. No Problem! Staff were happy to oblige and requests.
I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and will definitely return. Real boutique feel without being pretentious.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elliebee19
Shrewsbury
Reviewed 21 March 2010

Booked a stay in this hotel, courtesy of our AirMiles, so a lovely stay at a lovely hotel cost us next to nothing! Really enjoyed it, was a very nice place to chill out and relax and they did a lovely breakfast - just watch out for the prices in the bar!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2010

Just stayed here for two nights on buisness. I had to change my room 3 times, the first one smelt of sick (later told it was freshly painted that day and that was the smell) second on 457 the floor vibrated from a huge generator next door and the third I stayed in the lights were faulty and I had to have all of them on or none at all. I couldn't bear to change again.

The restaurant menu sounds great but the food was badly prepared and stale. The service was patchy and I wasn't sure who was doing which job of waiting on my table. It seemed like a 'posh' chef from somewhere else had designed the menu and a sous chef was heating it up and slapping in on the plate. Portions are small and it really isn't worth any where near the money their charging. They put service charge on everything!

The decor is fun at first until you try and walk down the checked stairs in a dim light and realise you could break your neck through an optical illusion. The dining room is down a spiral staircase and I really wouldn't recommend this hotel to old or disabled people.

The front desk were fabulous and I can't fault the help I received from these guys. Be nice is they wore badges so you could give them some credit.

Rooms were spotlessly cleaned and the bath/shower controls very modern and easy to burn yourself on.

The location is great and I loved the fact that Glaswegians were working there and cannot fault their hospitality and good cheer.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business